CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
ertman420
usc90grad
spareparts
MWard
Cunningham wants to (1291)
ESPN article on Clow (965)
Clemson Georgia Game (777)
Mangus now coaching (336)
Can Tennessee get to (255)
Chick Redefines the (218)
Truly Inspiring (195)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (176)
Spread vs. aTm (174)
New Led Zep releases (165)
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN article on Clowney -
Mangus now coaching TEs
2015 - Taj Griffin
SEC Network "Take It
2 Crazy things
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Spread vs. aTm
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Acock reviews the SEC Net

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
uga dawg
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly
Default clemsons week 1 defense

what do guys see them trying as far as scheme? They will still be high as a kite coming off the LSU game, with 6 sacks and a lot of 3 and outs. However, mettenberger wont be playing in this game. I see them loading the box, with a rush off the edge to start with. At least until the play action bites them with a few long ball completions. Opinions?
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: clemsons week 1 defense

Scheme?

I couldn't name one starter for their defense, so no way I could tell you what scheme they would run.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 20450
Mechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talonsMechanical Cock has developed his gaff and talons

I see what you did there...trick question. Clemson has no D.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

uh.. i seriously can't name one person on Clemson's defense other than Justin Parker, and that's only because I remember his recruitment. Does he count?

My theory is they use Justin Parker
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
what do guys see them trying as far as scheme? They will still be high as a kite coming off the LSU game, with 6 sacks and a lot of 3 and outs. However, mettenberger wont be playing in this game. I see them loading the box, with a rush off the edge to start with. At least until the play action bites them with a few long ball completions. Opinions?

I think they load the box to try and contain the run but murray goes deep a few times on them. 31-21 UGA.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
detective29
4-Star

Male

detective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his combdetective29 is developing his comb

Hard to say Dawg. Your team is very balanced on offense so their scheme will have be a "pick your poison". Do you go all out to stop the run and have Murray pick you apart or do you drop guys back into the passing lanes and get slashed by GurShall.

My GUESS would be they will bring pressure between the 20's to stop the passing game and hope that their "team speed" on defense will keep your backs from hurting them too bad. What they will do in the red zone is anybodies guess. If you want to get an idea, go back and watch some of the Oklahoma games when Venables was there. He is running the exact same thing at Tater State that he ran out there.

Hope your team hangs 50 on those scumbags. For week one and week one only "Hunker down you Hairy Dawgs!!!"
detective29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I think they'll load the box at first to test the RB's, If they contain the RB's and force Aaron to throw, they'll attempt to blitz and get burned on it. Shoot man I don't know.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

I smell a lot of screen passes and tight end over the middle. I'm satisfied that UGA will make 6 if they get in the red zone. I may be mistaken, but I believe UGA scored on Alabama every time they got in the red zone last year. Gurley was dragging them into the endzone with him. Clemson ain't no Bama, for sure.

I can not wait for this game. 8-31 please hurry up! to many Clemson buddies in my ear, and it's time to put this baby to bed.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Their D-Line is serviceable, but there is not much depth. If nothing else, you'll get to them in the 4th.

Their best linebacker from last year, Willard is gone. If it weren't for him, we would have run for 250 on them. This years group, who knows.

Same for their secondary. It was abysmal last year. They are returning some guys who didn't play last year due to injury, but again, who knows.

If you look at their stats, their D gave up 300 yards per game, while playing virtually nobody. Drop the LSU game, and their best win was Ball State. Murray ought to be salivating. If your O-line can give him a little time, the 15-30 yard routes past the LB's and in front of the DB's will be wide open all night. Ya'll, should use the pass to set up the run. Get the message to Richt to smack Potkins at the line on EVERY down and consistently force Boyd to relocate the pocket and you'll West Virgina them.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Hmm, I think Venables isn't stupid enough to not prepare for the PA. Their basic scheme is much more effective against the run then the pass and they are good at LB, however not that strong in the secondary. I think they blitz the LBs a lot for the pass-rush and keep their safeties away from the box. They'll be better at stopping the run without selling out for it, but not great against the pass probably, which would pay dividends with Murray under center. I will say that their D as a whole should be improved with Venables in his second year. Also, if it UGA has to pitch it down field and Clemson can run against the 3-4, I would give Clemson a slight advantage because of the risk of INTs. I think if UGA starts out trying to counter and calm the rush, then establishes the run with OL getting on LBs, Gurley and Marshall will do what they do and embarass the Clemson secondary. As long as the OL is ready and the right plays are in their UGA should win. However, if the run isn't established quarter 1, I think it becomes Clemson's game quick.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Sugedatdude
Cocky Que

Male

Sugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spurs

I'm interested to see how UGA's left tackle K. Gates matches up against Clemson's best pass rusher Vic Beasley.
Sugedatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

All I have heard from Clemson fans is about how they beast LSU. I do give them credit for it and it was a big win for their program.

But being objective about it, I have just never thought much about wins in bowl games. Especially not against a team like LSU that doesn't want to play in the Peach Bowl.

Utah beat Alabama.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
John Terd
Banned

Male

John Terd has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
All I have heard from Clemson fans is about how they beast LSU. I do give them credit for it and it was a big win for their program.

But being objective about it, I have just never thought much about wins in bowl games. Especially not against a team like LSU that doesn't want to play in the Peach Bowl.

Utah beat Alabama.
If that's the case you need to quit touting the SEC's bowl record and tell your SEC brethren to start scheduling some better OOC opponents.
John Terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Terd View Post
If that's the case you need to quit touting the SEC's bowl record and tell your SEC brethren to start scheduling some better OOC opponents.

All of the better opponents are IC though.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Bowl games are good when both teams have something to play for and something to prove. I think uga hits them with a lot of screens and quick hits to wear them out then bombs them. klimpsun never really showed much of a pass rush last year without blitzing.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsGarnet View Post
All of the better opponents are IC though.
Oregon, Stanford, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Louisville say hi
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You will not hear me "touting" the SEC's bowl record. I think bowl games are VASTLY overrated when it comes to determining which team is better. Especially bowl games like the Outback bowl and Chick-fil-a Bowl.

I take very little away from the fact that SC beat Michigan in the Outback Bowl. There is no way to know how that would translate into the outcome of a similar game that was played as a conference game. You are very naive to think anything different.

Clemson beating LSU doesn't mean much if you are trying to look at the Chick-fil-a bowl to determine which team is better. LSU doesn't want to play in the Chick-fil-a bowl. That is a no brainer. Hell, Clemson didn't want to be there either. Then, on top of that, you add in the fact that you have a month of off time, you have all of the bowl "celebrations," etc and there is no way you can garner much from a bowl game like that.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
The OOC opponent thing when you are talking about a SEC team is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. It is ridiculous.

Look at South Carolina's schedule last year to end out the year...

Georgia
LSU
Florida
Tennessee
Arkansas
Wofford
Clemson..

Now I want you to really stop and think about this for a minute. Take off your orange colored glasses and try to look at it objectively. When the season started Arkansas was a top 10 team. No one could have project Bobby Petrino was going to have a complete collapse. So at the time this schedule was done, Arkansas was projected to compete for the National Championship. So just humor me and go with that for a minute.

So what you are saying is that we should add a team like Oklahoma or Texas into the middle of playing Florida, Georgia, Tenn, LSU, Arkansas, and Clemson???

To think that the SEC teams EVER need to defend their OOC opponents is a joke.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Unknit
4-Star

Male

Unknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
So thats like half the top ten right? So I guess the other half are SEC teams. Thats a weak argument there.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
SimpleGamecock
Recruit

Male

SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
To be fair though: Oregon lost to LSU and Auburn, Oklahoma got crushed by aTm and lost to Florida, Ohio State 1-9 against SEC, Louisville did beat Florida but UK and them usually battled in the past.

This is coming from someone who stays pretty realistic about conference affiliation and knows that there are other good squads out there in other conferences. To say SEC teams don't play OOC is not fair they typically schedule at least one big program a year.
SimpleGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote