CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
COCKYWOOD
b381l
spareparts
uscgamecocks88
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8393)
Sindarius Thornwell (903)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (571)
Best Child Acting Pe (549)
Well gameday just go (449)
Happy Birthday, Coac (399)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (368)
Your most famous twi (271)
South Carolina @ Aub (237)
Unsung Hero (228)
Connor Mitch
Name a Gamecock
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Hope Springs Eternal
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2015 - Auden Tate
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his comb
Default Did the Outback Bowl Referee ever...

Address his terrible 1st down call publicly?

Sorry if I missed it.

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Did the Outback Bowl Referee ever...

nah, I couldn't find anything on it...I think it got overlooked because it produced "The Hit" and we still won the game. If we had lost? Oh boy....

I did find this though

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-...96670613705467

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I don't think so. I vaguely remember some other referee from that game being asked about the poor first down call and he said something like, "I don't know what he was thinking."
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

No, in fact, the Big East came out after the game and said they would not make a statement. There was actually a pretty fair amount of pressure put on them by the media and people and they thumbed their nose at it and refused to respond.

They said "It is our policy not to respond to individual plays......," but the push back from the media was that they had just responded to an individual play in a basketball game. I think it was Kansas vs Iowa and it had something to do with the clock at the end of the game. It was a pretty big game and the Big East addressed the play. But then they said they wouldn't address it in regards to the 1st down.

Personally, I emailed a bunch of people within the Big East office and just asked if they were going to respond. I didn't get a single response from anyone. Not even a reply.

There was even a Fire Jeff Maconaghy facebook page that had some pretty interesting information.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-...705467?fref=ts

Finally, I thought the comments from Justice Cunningham were interesting after the game....
"In our heads, it was just us against the world at that point. We had some weird stuff that happened from the coin toss. Something didn't seem right. We were like "OK." At the coin toss, D.J. (Swearinger) said heads and it landed heads and they said you have to say it louder next time. He was like 'what?'"

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 08-14-2013 at 10:10 PM.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

The phantom first down call was the most ridiculous of the game, but
there were several BLARING holding calls against several members of
our O/Line..... Clowney mainly that were not called, and then there was
the terrible Roughing the kicker call against us where our guy never
touched their punter, and he fell down and got the call.

The Keystone cops in stripes with whistles and flags
Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Probably 99% of calls you could make at least an argument of either "speed of real time play" or the " official did not have he right angle" or a "judgement call". This was none of the above.

No play going on.
Pecect angle of the official
No judgment call.

Still mind blowing how that was missed.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

There especially is no excuse when the referee admitted that HE KNEW IT WAS SHORT. XD
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

1. The referee will probably never come out in a public forum to admit his mistake.
2. The officials shouldn't miss much with 7 man mechanics, but it happens
3. If the holding calls happen away from the play to the point where it does not affect the play, no flag will be thrown
4. You can't see everything. Each official has certain duties that he is to watch for. The game moves much faster than you think it does and there is so much to watch for as you are running down the field.
5. If the LJ or Linesman didn't see the foul on his side of the ball, he ain't gonna throw the flag

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
There especially is no excuse when the referee admitted that HE KNEW IT WAS SHORT. XD
The referee didn't admit he knew it was short...it was the linesman that said that and he has no overturn authority on the referee

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The phantom first down call was the most ridiculous of the game, but
there were several BLARING holding calls against several members of
our O/Line..... Clowney mainly that were not called, and then there was
the terrible Roughing the kicker call against us where our guy never
touched their punter, and he fell down and got the call.

The Keystone cops in stripes with whistles and flags
I forgot about that play.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

I felt that that bad call was an example of an attempt to manipulate the outcome of the game. People bet on football. Even referees bet. Was there a payoff?
That was the worse call I've ever seen. The Michigan team was laughing about it on the sideline.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
CheckYoAnklez
Walk On

Male

CheckYoAnklez has feathers coming inCheckYoAnklez has feathers coming inCheckYoAnklez has feathers coming in

Did he ever apologize to Vincent Smith?
CheckYoAnklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his combCockyATO is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I felt that that bad call was an example of an attempt to manipulate the outcome of the game. People bet on football. Even referees bet. Was there a payoff?
That was the worse call I've ever seen. The Michigan team was laughing about it on the sideline.
Judging by his smile, I'd bet it was Brady Hoke who wagered the most.

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post

Yes people bet on football. Even the Refs. In all sports. Pete Rose received a life time ban for betting on his team.
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

I swear that there was an interview on OTL (i think) with that ref (Jeff Maconaghy), and he said he would have made the same call again. I can't find the video though.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I hope he doesn't make the same call next time, Clowney might vaporize some poor scat back next time.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

WIN ANYWAY .
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

I've never really felt more like there was an actual fix going on than watching that game
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

"I'm telling you ref, they are this far short!"

scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Easily one of the worst calls Ive ever seen in a football game, and in my short 27 years, ive seen ALOT of football.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote