CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
sporkgod50
2000grad
usc1
ReadR00ster
Thenardier
rosstheboss
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
Kelcy and Vic questi (3605)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
I like how Frank sou (843)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (638)
Hillsborough (394)
2015 - Chris Clark (386)
Sweet Corn!!! (271)
GTA V online (174)
Bamberg High School (157)
Its April 15th and i (140)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Larenz Bryant update?
A'ja Wilson
Hillsborough
Ahh...The Masters
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No.1 for 2016 has Gamecoc
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
Aggie Spring Depth Chart

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default A serious question for those that go to the games

From my seats, I see into the fairgrounds parking. Every game, when the team is running out on the field (the most exciting thing in sports) I look over and see droves of people making their way across the street to come in to the stadium and I see people still coming up the ramps. I guess my question is why wouldn't you get there early enough to see the whole 2001 entrance? There are people still making their way across the fairgrounds when we kickoff. Personally, I hate to see empty seats when the team comes out, if for no other reason than I want the recruits at the game to see a full stadium. I know its only a small percentage, but why would anyone want to miss any of the action?
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: A serious question for those that go to the games

I've wondered the same thing, and I guess the only explanation is that finishing that last beer is more important.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

I think it's because a lot of people view the games more as a social event than a football experience, and the most social place is the tailgate.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

When push comes to shove.............kickoff is when it really starts. I personally like getting there to hear the beginning of the "Game" "Cock" chant.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
CocksB2BChamps24
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 800
CocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CocksB2BChamps24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
I think it's because a lot of people view the games more as a social event than a football experience, and the most social place is the tailgate.
Basically this.

It's definitely not all of them, but sometimes people are just running late too. Last year for the ECU game the traffic was absolutely horrible (I park at the armory). That was the first time I've missed the pre-game ritual and kickoff since my mom grabbed the wrong tickets when we played Virginia in 2003 I think.

I did walk in right as Byrd caught that beautiful pass from Thompson though.

3-0 in Eath Valley.
1996. 2010. 2012.
CocksB2BChamps24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Different things are important to different people. Don't worry about others and just enjoy being at the game.
USCBatgirl21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Most students aren't really their for the game. And would rather not be sitting in seats waiting. We like to be fashionably late, but not horribly late. Hopefully they stay late this year, no early exits.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

why should i care to see an entrance i have seen like 20 times? as long as i see kick off, im good!

i paid for the game of football, not the pregame
Old 08-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default A serious question for those that go to the games

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Different things are important to different people. Don't worry about others and just enjoy being at the game.
This. Sometimes it takes a while to close down the tailgate. Sometimes people are drunk and having fun with their friends and want to spend a few more minutes with them. Sometimes people are running late. Sometimes people have seen 2001 a hundred times and just want to make it for kickoff. Sometimes people need to get off their high horse. I think common sense would have already answered this "serious question" and you just want to express your judgement of other people for not being the same as you.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I love to get there early. I love to just sit there and be surrounded by the awesomeness of the stadium, see the fans slowly drift in and take their seats, feel the breeze of autumn and enjoy the view of Columbia, read the players biographies in the program, and just be thankful that I'm a South Carolinian, a Gamecock, and have the opportunity to witness the game live and with a family member. Time literally stands still for me in those moments.

Then, the band comes in, the pre-game pageantry starts, and they start the Gamecocks chant, play that new video, and then play "Einleitung," from Also Sprach Zarathrusta, which literally means "introduction" in German, when the Gamecocks finally come out.

Nothing like it.

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if no one else even showed up. They don't really care about the game anyway. Basically, they just have a lot of money, and it's an opportunity to drink to excess and be seen. It's amazing how many fans don't even know the players names. But, like I said, I don't worry about others.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Yearofthegamecock
Blue Chip

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

I've been late to two games and it sucks. Nothing like trying to dice through a crowd to get in while you hear 2001 playing inside. Still had a great time of course, but the experience felt incomplete

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
UndercoverCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000000
UndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Sometimes people need to get off their high horse and STFU
I'd say that's be you, chief. There's nothing wrong with asking a question while expressing OP's own preference. It didn't seem to say latecomers are pieces of crap or anything.

And just to counter the 'I come for the football, not the pregame', the GAME COCK chant, 2001, all of that is centered around the teams entrance, which is what the REST of us are there for. Not kickoff, but the Gamecocks. So now I'll hop on my high horse and say, 'So there!' If you're a REAL fan, you get there to support THE TEAM, NOT to be entertained while feeling like you're in a big club.

FOREVER TO THEE, not FOREVER TO ME. Now get your garnet on and get to the daggum gate early if you have to.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3861799
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Much like AikenRooster I like to be in the stadium and see it fill up around me. It is like it has its own life. I have seen the entrance over a 100 times and still get goose bumps (wish they would go back to the classic band tunnel lineup). I was always taught to be on time as well. Game experience starts before kickoff. And lastly I was taught to have respect for others. It is disrespectful to the other people who are trying to enjoy the 2001 entrance that people squeezing in late interrupt.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Well, I am going to the game and am going to see some folks that I have not seen in at least 10-15+ years. If I am late, I hope the late-seat Nazis understand.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

I enjoy getting there early but I could careless who else is in there before the game. I do get a little upset when the students leave at halftime. Many more students would love to use those seats for the entire game.

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Well, I am going to the game and am going to see some folks that I have not seen in at least 10-15+ years. If I am late, I hope the late-seat Nazis understand.
I'm with Jax. I'm only able to make it up for 1 game each season these days. This year it will be the Kentucky game. I will be tailgating with a lot of old friends and many new ones as well. I will be busy cooking and feeding people. I wont even have a ticket. I may decide to buy one outside sometime during the 1st quarter cheap or I may just watch it on the TV and prepare for the victory celebration. Those that don't like it can bite me.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
UndercoverCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

UndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot materialUndercoverCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ah, the part where name calling is resorted to. Classic. I don't appreciate being called a Nazi simply for disagreeing with you, just before you decide to give up on 'defending' being late. Even if you weren't speaking directly to me, I assume I'm in that group as I 'defended' getting there on time.

I'm happy you get to see your friends, but why be late? It's like saying "I paid for the movie, not the stupid previews!" except that the previews (in this rather loose analogy) POTENTIALLY AFFECT THE MOVIE! How could you NOT want to come early and cheer on the Gamecocks, WITH your friends?!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Separate seats, my man. Actually, I did post that just to get a rise out of you. I haven't seen a game at WB for many years, so I do plan on getting in early enough to see the entrance and all. Really looking forward to it all. Hope it isn't super hot, but if it is...oh well.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Jax, you coming up for the big tailgate on 10-5?

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
UndercoverCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Separate seats, my man. Actually, I did post that just to get a rise out of you. I haven't seen a game at WB for many years, so I do plan on getting in early enough to see the entrance and all. Really looking forward to it all. Hope it isn't super hot, but if it is...oh well.
Then everyone will just have to tailgate after the victory for EVEN LONGER! Oh darn!

It's cool. I find that talking it out is better than reacting like a jerk. You never know when someone's being sarcastic or joking and you missed it in the type. Or just trying to get a rise outta you. ;)

As far as the weather- as long as we aren't in the rain, it'll be good enough, dang it! Rain, rain go away, head to the upstate for Saturday!