CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Badazcock
ReadR00ster
Gamecocks1137
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
conwaycock2
kingofnerf
Simple "yes&quo (874)
ESPN Game Day Commen (819)
The Comeback & T (690)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (507)
Phil Steele just pre (476)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (469)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
TeMarcus Blanton (429)
Garcia: Change the R (326)
Wallpaper & Back (203)
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2016 - Avery McCall
Phil Steele just predicte
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Garcia: Change the Rules
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Simple "yes" or

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb
Default Why does everyone knock Myrtle Beach?

I work with a lot of guys and it seems like a lot of people on here take every chance to bash Myrtle anytime someone mentions it. Hey I get it, it's not Charleston, or Hilton Head but in my opinion it is nicer, with more to do than Daytona. It isn't overly expensive in my opinion and my kids absolutely love going there. So is there something I am missing?
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why does everyone knock Myrtle Beach?

for me at least its to masses of trashy vacationers that always seem to be there.
Gamecock303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

People bash it because it is a shit hole tourist trap. There is a reason that people that actually live in SC do not frequent the redneck riviera.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafanusc View Post
I work with a lot of guys and it seems like a lot of people on here take every chance to bash Myrtle anytime someone mentions it. Hey I get it, it's not Charleston, or Hilton Head but in my opinion it is nicer, with more to do than Daytona. It isn't overly expensive in my opinion and my kids absolutely love going there. So is there something I am missing?

It's overrun with outsiders. Sure there are a lot of things to do but it's there's an abundance of trashy people who have taken over the city.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Does it suck with the tourists? Sure. But hell, I get to live where millions of people save for a year to vacation. I get my choice of 100s of golf courses, 100s of restaurants, ton of shopping, great nightlife, and many many beach spots that aren't in the tourist spot light. Most places give me a local discount as well. I don't mind living here. I can handle a few months of tourist for all the rest of the positives.
GoCCUChants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

It's the people that visit that make it bad. Also it's overly cheesy and a tourist trap.

Used to live there and I'm not a fan. It has some nice attractions but overall I don't like it.

I also HATE how there's only one way to get everywhere. Highway 17, business or bypass. That's it.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Tourist trap, number of "trashy" people that go there for their "HUGE" vacation, the problems that happen down there every summer with the trash that goes, the amount of traffic, the fact that people from other states make it out to be a place you have to see. Last time I was down there was for a wrestling tournament, never saw the beach, but saw plenty of trashy people with out of state tags.

Edit: The only time I go now is the "offseason", when all the tourist go back up north. Not nearly as bad in the winter months.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

It used to be a good place to go, but became really trashy about 10+ years ago. The Pavilion area used to be fun, but now it's full of rednecks and wanna be thugs. And it seems like foreigners run most of the stores nowadays....like the Wings that are every 5 feet.

There is Broadway at the Beach and some good restaurants, but MB isn't where I want to vacation.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

MB beach gets a bad rap just because of Ocean Blvd. Always have stayed farther down the coast garden city or pawleys
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
gamecock231983
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 12113530
gamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot materialgamecock231983 is USC mascot material

Russians
gamecock231983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

Shopping? Outlet malls and beach paraphernalia.
Restaurants? Mostly chains or "calabash buffets"

No thanks.

Will agree there is a ton of stuff to do though
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Shopping? Outlet malls and beach paraphernalia.
Restaurants? Mostly chains or "calabash buffets"

No thanks.

Will agree there is a ton of stuff to do though
And if that's all you look for then that is all you will find. I do go to the outlets because I can get good deals but I also shop at many locally owned and operated stores, just like many of you do in other towns. Same as restaurants. I make it a point not to go to chains or calabash joints. See my post regarding where to eat in MB.

I love how everyone gets all high and mighty about how trashy MB is but the number one smack against UNC is how high and mighty their fans are. I don't know anyone else in MB that talks crap about any other city in SC, despite the fact that lots of cities have their negative sides. For example, the comment about the old pavilion site being a thug spot. From what I hear, that's what five points is now, yes? I guess Columbia is trashy then.

You all act like MB has personally offended you.
GoCCUChants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

To add to what I said earlier...

Me and a buddy of mine walked down Ocean Boulevard on a Saturday night during the summer and the area was packed with people ages 15-30, 90% of whom were wearing wifebeaters. Hell, even saw small children with their "parents" at 11-12 at night with all this craziness going on. Rednecks were riding down the street blaring some obscure redneck country music with confederate flags flying while thugs were driving down the street and literally abducting girls. It was all yankees, thugs, and rednecks.

I even got made fun of for wearing your typical polo with shorts and flip flops.

Other than that, there's plenty of nice bars and decent restaurants around town. And of course the golf is great. Even the beach is pretty nice when it's not over run with people. Spent a week in North Myrtle and had a better time there.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
And if that's all you look for then that is all you will find. I do go to the outlets because I can get good deals but I also shop at many locally owned and operated stores, just like many of you do in other towns. Same as restaurants. I make it a point not to go to chains or calabash joints. See my post regarding where to eat in MB.

I love how everyone gets all high and mighty about how trashy MB is but the number one smack against UNC is how high and mighty their fans are. I don't know anyone else in MB that talks crap about any other city in SC, despite the fact that lots of cities have their negative sides. For example, the comment about the old pavilion site being a thug spot. From what I hear, that's what five points is now, yes? I guess Columbia is trashy then.

I have nothing against the city of Myrtle Beach, it was a place I liked to go in the past, but now I don't want to spend a vacation dealing with the craziness down there. But, I don't go to most of the places that are tourist places, I head to the woods for vacation with a backpack and stuff to last me a week or so. I look at Pigeon Forge the same way, just to much of a mecca for tourist for me.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

I wanted to say something...but everyone on this thread already added it up. I was through there today. That leaning building off 17 is a joke...egyptian hardrock...Ramses would be disapointed i think. They do have that croc though...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb

Quote:
Does it suck with the tourists? Sure. But hell, I get to live where millions of people save for a year to vacation. I get my choice of 100s of golf courses, 100s of restaurants, ton of shopping, great nightlife, and many many beach spots that aren't in the tourist spot light. Most places give me a local discount as well. I don't mind living here. I can handle a few months of tourist for all the rest of the positives.
I'm with you man. I love Myrtle! We camp at Pirateland Family Campground in Surfside. We go and hit up a few of the many great restaurants, golf, go to Broadway, Bass Pro, etc. We even like to go down to ocean blvd to take in the sights. The new boardwalk is beautiful. Try and avoid at night because we have little ones and it can get out of hand down there when the sun goes down.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

Quote:

It's almost like people loved Myrtle before it got popular then it became "cool" to trash it once it became a national destination. Reminds me of Metallica fans who loved the band until they got famous. How dare they!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Redneck Riviera pretty much explains it.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Why does everyone knock Myrtle Beach?

Myrtle has good and bad. I stay around surfside and murrells a few times a year and I enjoy it. If you go down the strip then you're asking to deal with some mess.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

I actually live here and it isn't too bad