CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Thenardier
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Clowney vs. The World!

Look I love the publicity and think that Clowney is incredible, but is anybody else tired of how they are characterizing our team this season?

Everything is "Clowney is set to take on UNC". It's like ESPN has forgotten that there are 10 other players on the field with him. He is put forth as this transcendent force of nature, this Gladys Knight to everyone else's Pips, and I find it annoying.

Sometimes, even, they make it sound like he is doing all of this IN SPITE of being at South Carolina. If Clowney were at Alabama, they would be talking about him as a great player who is part of an even greater system; at USC they talk about him like he IS the entire system.

I'm just starting to find it a tad disrespectful and I hope that our other 84 players think the same thing and go out like they wanna fix it.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clowney vs. The World!

I see you are in Auburn (condolences)...anyway, does the hype remind you of anyone else? (cough, cough, Cam)...

it happens, enjoy it while it lasts. I hope the team uses it as self motivation...to your point.

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Little advice for ya,

Other than actual games, Don't watch ESPN.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

I've seen/heard a lot of the real college football analysts talking up Quarles as well. I think the "it's all Clowney" stuff is just hype for the people that are NFL fans/general sports fans and only know the 3-4 biggest CFB stars.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
I've seen/heard a lot of the real college football analysts talking up Quarles as well. I think the "it's all Clowney" stuff is just hype for the people that are NFL fans/general sports fans and only know the 3-4 biggest CFB stars.
Yea, I can't name a WR or RB for Texas A&M. It's just the way the media covers stars. Often times they aren't doing articles about teams, they are doing the article about a player.

Everything I've read that was about D-Lines in general has been very favorable for us. We are rated, what top 3 at worst in D-lines. #1 in a lot of places I've seen. That's more than just 1 great player. Sutton is going to be a top 3 round pick after this year. He is scary.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

We are in an NFL driven country.
Clowney is the biggest NFL talent in the country.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

Doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't go to clowney's head, which I don't see happening. I think I remember him saying something about his Mom telling him to stay humble and never get to big for his own britches. Anyway, just more publicity for our school.
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Y'all's responses are all fair, reasonable and exactly what I was looking for. I suppose I should be grateful just to see South Carolina on the airwaves as much as we are.

And yes it is hard to live in Auburn. After graduating from Carolina in '12 I came here for grad school mainly because my future wife was in pharmacy school here.

And although I obviously despise ESPN, they might be just the weight we need to tip the Heisman scales our way.

Gonna be a long 2 days....Go Cocks.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

The more hype Clowney gets, the more attention is off of guys like
Chaz Sutton, Kelcy Quarles, or Linebackers and DBs. If we can keep
UNC focused on containing Clowney, then the rest of the defense can
do their thing with greater ease.

PLUS

Clowney is getting more publicity that our school doesn't have to generate.
As long as the national media is talking him up, the more chances for him
to win the Heisman this year if he has another solid season (which I'm
positive is about to happen). It's a Win Win for us.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

Spurt, that is so true. And when people tune in just to watch Clowney, it won't take long for them to notice the rest of our Garnet monsters.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky-K View Post
Doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't go to clowney's head, which I don't see happening. I think I remember him saying something about his Mom telling him to stay humble and never get to big for his own britches. Anyway, just more publicity for our school.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
AggieTodd
Walk On

Male

AggieTodd has hatched from the shell

As an Aggie, I loved the attention Manziel got during the season (not the offseason attention, obviously), but it was frustrating that it was only about Manziel. We had several players that were good enough to draft, but not good enough for ESPN to even acknowledge they were alive.

Appreciate that you're getting some attention and avoid paying attention to ESPN. The more air time / print space the team or Clowney gets, the more merchandise you'll sell (more money) and the better you'll look in front of recruits (more wins).
AggieTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

We've been over this. At first when the freak teaser video came out, I was worried. Now after hearing from other members on the board. I've changed my opinion.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Simple marketing. People are more drawn to the word "Clowney" than "South Carolina".
Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

Did anyone see that little segment they did on BCS countdown with the various QBs getting in their beds to go nighty night, then having nightmares about Clowney? It was frigging hilarious!
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
C0cKfAn4lifE89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 258
C0cKfAn4lifE89 has hatched from the shell

And the reason he is getting this much attention is because he is a FREAK!!!!! Just saying.
C0cKfAn4lifE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Did anyone see that little segment they did on BCS countdown with the various QBs getting in their beds to go nighty night, then having nightmares about Clowney? It was frigging hilarious!
I didn't see that, are you serious?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
No way.

Please post ASAP!

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
USAFGAMECOCK
F'n A

Male

CockyCash: 22000400
USAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialUSAFGAMECOCK is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
No way.

Please post ASAP!
He mentioned it but didn't link it....what a tease.

USAFGAMECOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:

not as hilarious as this post...

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote