CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
rosstheboss
markymark550
Transmaniacon
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
2014 Charleston Clas (3226)
The Defense (2052)
**USC Women vs. San (2021)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1994)
Women's soccer Sweet (1601)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1164)
USC/clemson spread (873)
In case no one saw.. (809)
injury report? (708)
Odell Becham Catch (348)
Texans getting frustrated
Dylan Thompson surpasses
2014 Charleston Classic:
**USC Women vs. San Diego
Fly_over tomorrow?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Joe Blue
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo

Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Hype or Analysis?

I was talking to a friend in GA last night and told him about tomorrow's game. I told him that some people had picked USC to be upset by UNC. BTW, this guy is a UGA fan.

Anyway, I said, "Two words: Jadeveon Clowney" and then we talked about his disruptive presence, etc. and then he said, "Two words: Bull crap" and went on to say that USC will crush UNC and that these talking heads HAVE to hype the game since it is the start of the season, on ESPN, etc. He basically said they are full of it and should be an easy victory for USC.

BUT

The way the early game was talking this morning...IDK, seems like it is a touch and go game, etc.

What is your opinion on this: Hype or Analysis?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly
Default Re: Hype or Analysis?

Hype. Like i said. They are a poor mans clemson. We will crush them
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

You never want to overlook a team(DONT UNDERESTIMATE UNC!!!!!!!!), but we should win without a struggle.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Wilmingtonheel
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wilmingtonheel is learning to peckWilmingtonheel is learning to peck

I have no doubt that most people have no worries about USC taking care of UNC (outside of maybe some UNC fans) and doing so handedly. I agree that the ESPN talking heads are just trying to hype the game and if they were betting they'd pick USC to cover the spread.

The thing that gets me is the difference between fans of SEC teams compared to fans of say the ACC. SEC teams seem to tend to pull for each other in non-conference play while ACC fans tend to pull against their conference brethren in non-conference play. One of the things that make the SEC superior is that y'all see the big picture and the need for the SEC to dominate the other conferences. I could be wrong there but that seems to be what I've seen.
Wilmingtonheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
CockyinVA
Recruit

Male

CockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his combCockyinVA is developing his comb

The HBC sounded pretty confident last night. He made a point of saying they were not some unstoppable juggernaut. Their average score was skewed by playing Elon, Idaho, and the shootout with Georgia Tech. I think it is safe to say they did not play a defense like ours, in an environment like ours last year. I also think Whammy has a good system for stopping these hurry up offenses. I think he is way better than Ellis Johnson was at adapting to them.

I agree it is all talking head hype. Look at the Vegas odds. That is a much more accurate assessment from an objective point of view.
CockyinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

We typically don't play great the first game. We shouldn't think this will be an easy game. A turnover here or there, or a busted play or two by an inexperienced linebacker, and who knows what can happen. Florida wasn't a better team than us last year, but turnovers killed us.

Don't bet on us dominating this game from the start. They have a great qb, who has targets to throw to. And we have a starting LB, WR, and TE out, along with our second string TE gimpy. We looked horrible last year to start at Vandy.

I think we win, but its going to be a fight.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
You never want to overlook a team(DONT UNDERESTIMATE UNC!!!!!!!!), but we should win without a struggle.
This about sums it up.

They might come out and "surprise" us for a quarter but I look for the team to adjust quickly and handle our bidness.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
We typically don't play great the first game.
People have short memories. When was the last time we opened at home???

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We typically don't play great the first game. We shouldn't think this will be an easy game. A turnover here or there, or a busted play or two by an inexperienced linebacker, and who knows what can happen. Florida wasn't a better team than us last year, but turnovers killed us.

Don't bet on us dominating this game from the start. They have a great qb, who has targets to throw to. And we have a starting LB, WR, and TE out, along with our second string TE gimpy. We looked horrible last year to start at Vandy.

Renner is NOT a great QB, he is okay at best. Watch his highlights, if he has to throw any distance he depends on a bail out from a receiver because he always leads too far or overthrows. Yes, he CAN make the throws, but if he leads too far or overthrows on us it'll be intercepted or nearly intercepted. He hasn't played coverage like ours with a pass rush like ours.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

I think unc is better than some on here are giving them credit for I think we are in for a tough game and I have a feeling some people may be disappointed with our overall performance al la vandy game last year ... First games are never clean and often lead to more questions than answers.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

I appreciate all of the confidence that is being displayed here. I wish I could be so confident. That being said, I sure hope that our players are taking NC more seriously.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I think we will. I hope we win BIG. But that is why they play the games.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

In regards to the vandy game last year, lets look at some factors:
-typically don't start great
-vandy always plays us tough
-it was on the road
-vandy was better than unc last year

All of these things make me feel a whole lot better about the first game this year. I don't care how prepared they are they are not ready for the speed, size, and power of this team. Couple those things with the higher talent level and the dedication this team has and it makes one feel better about the game.

29 hours 32 minutes

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

If the players walk in there thinking they have the game and they won't have to play hard we'll lose.

UNC is jacked up for this game, it's their super bowl.

If, on the other hand, we come out and execute our game plan we win going away.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
People have short memories. When was the last time we opened at home???
2010 vs Southern Miss

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
scfan2001
I'm comin for u

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudly

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better.
scfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
I think unc is better than some on here are giving them credit for....
UNC likely has a good offense...and a crap defense. If we can stop them from scoring but they cannot stop us, how does that play out?
How many fast paced offenses have scored lots of pts on us the past 2 seasons?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
2010 vs Southern Miss
Against Fedora, the same coach tonight. He ran his mouth and promised a win. It was the best we played on opening night in a while.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkrice91 View Post
I appreciate all of the confidence that is being displayed here. I wish I could be so confident. That being said, I sure hope that our players are taking NC more seriously.
I'm with this guy. I think we will win, but I'm never too confident. I've learned my lesson over the years. Heck, even last year we scraped by several games. UNC isn't a bad team. They scored a ton of points last year and were 9 points away from being 11-1. I wouldn't take them lightly. We have plenty of questions as well so only time will tell.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
They have a great qb...
How so? You have to earn being called "great".
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote