CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Spurticus
b381l
sanford
thekob
B-G
usc1
markp_vip
TAFC 5 1981
Master Bedroom
Lattimore Sidelined (1063)
Gurley or Davis (1043)
Expect A Healthy Dos (826)
Steve Spurrier - Say (773)
Coach's media golf p (491)
A house just blew up (360)
college football mat (355)
South Carolina Footb (355)
Minda Kacinas Q& (180)
iPhone repair (150)
Expect A Healthy Dose of
Gamecock Showcase Attende
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Official SEC Network and
iPhone repair
2014-15 Premier League se
3-4 defense my interpreta
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Kick e'm Horns!
Need 2 tickets for East C

Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Crazy_Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 282
Crazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

So, let's hear it, what were your good, bad, and ugly parts of the game?

The Good - Shaq Roland and Mike Davis

The Bad - The O-Line, at times, and Clowney being gassed so easily.

The Ugly - The end of game antics by both teams. The clip, the throw out of the end zone, the timeouts.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Crazy_Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Crazy_Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 282
Crazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot material

Of course, "The God" would be a part of the game, too, I guess.......Lightning......

Crazy_Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: The God, The Bad, and The Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Gamecock View Post
So, let's hear it, what were your good, bad, and ugly parts of the game?

The Good - Shaq Roland and Mike Davis

The Bad - The O-Line, at times, and Clowney being gassed so easily.

The Ugly - The end of game antics by both teams. The clip, the throw out of the end zone, the timeouts.

I add Fry's place kicking to the Good and his jersey to the bad....
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
akn4bkn
See Below

Male

CockyCash: 46499211
akn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot materialakn4bkn is USC mascot material

Good- Defense without Clowney
Bad- Was Clowney in the game?
Ugly- That cheapshot on Clowney.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Good - Brandon W has improved his technique -> like the way he's running behind the pads and finishing runs. Mike Davis.

Bad - Pass Blocking

Ugly - the Clip on Clowney.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
War Rooster
Fear The Visor

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
War Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Skype™ to War Rooster

The Good:

- I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of little Elliot Fry. Little dude was pretty gritty. It would be really nice to have a four-year reliable kicker.

- I thought Davis and Wilds looked great. A little thunder and lightning action out there!

- I thought the WR's looked pretty good, too.

- Until the defense got gassed, I thought team speed was excellent on both sides of the ball. We have the potential to play faster than a lot of teams this year.

The Bad:

- I'm worried about this defense and stopping the power run. I feel like we weren't really in a run-stop D for most of the night, but I'm worried that we're vulnerable up the middle this year.

- DT's didn't get enough push up the middle.

- I thought there were too many arm tackles. A sign of fatigue, but it happened too often for my taste.

The Ugly:

- UNC's cheap shots

- Some bad calls (and no-calls) by the Zebras

- ESPN's bi-polar Clowney coverage.

- Vic Hampton's pinwheeling punt returns. I love Vic's play, but he scared the hell out of me a couple of times with the ball in his hands on punt returns.

- The defense getting gassed by that tempo offense. It was just ugly watching our guys gasp like fish out of water. I'm not bashing them -- it was hot as hell and that offense of UNC's is insanely fatiguing -- but it wasn't pretty to watch.

Overall:

I feel good about the season. I think we're a damn fine football team that still has a little rust. I feel like we're going to play very well at UGA, though. I feel very good indeed about that game!

War Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
CocksB2BChamps24
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 800
CocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CocksB2BChamps24

The offensive line did a fine job tonight from my perspective. I'll have to watch the game again but I felt like Connor should have pulled the trigger more rather than taking off running. I don't recall many times where he was under pressure immediately.

3-0 in Eath Valley.
1996. 2010. 2012.
CocksB2BChamps24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Again Clowney was facing a stomach virus all last night and this morning, the man barely ate anything all day. He was fatigued because he was literally hungry.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Good - No major injuries
No suspensions from ACC officials
Offensive line
Running backs
Fry's kicking
No turnovers
Bad - Team conditioning?
Ugly - Clowney's Heisman chances

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Good
Davis and Wilds
Getting an early lead and never really letting them in the game

Bad
Shaw running a little too soon when he could have had more time
Conditioning/Pace of game getting the defense tired

Ugly
Antics at the end of the game
UNC's fugly uniforms (maybe it's just me, but those were cringe-worthy)
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly

Good - our running backs were out of this world. Davis and Wilds exceeded expectations. Shaq was also amazing.

Bad - our defensive conditioning definitely seemed suspect

Ugly - cheap shot on Clowney, refs were pretty much incapable of doing their job all night (especially on the Vic Hampton hit...wow)
FLCock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Yearofthegamecock
Blue Chip

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

Good:
Most everything, one of the best openers I've seen as a gamecocks fan.
Win #1

Bad:
Definitely the stamina of the defense, hopefully not a long term issue.
Dirty plays by sore losers, not all but a few players

Ugly:
Fedora's dumb ass antics
The ACC in general

Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

Good: Student section and crowd in general sticking it out until the evac.
Bad: evac
Ugly: drive out of columbia in that storm
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Good - No major injuries
Offensive line
Running backs
Fry's kicking
No turnovers
Bad - Team conditioning?
I thought JJ Marcus got hurt?
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

My observations on our season-opening game versus UNC:

- We held them to their lowest point total under Fedora (previous low was 18 pts vs Miami last season)

- Our offense was pretty balanced: had 200+ rushing yds and close to 200 passing yds. Connor was 11 for 20 which was not his usual efficient self, but considering the first gm of season plus Ellington was limited and Anderson was out, it was pretty good. We had no turnovers...

- Our defense had some hiccups, but considering UNC's oppressive offensive style, plus the oppressive weather conditions (hot & muggy), as well as many newcomers playing big roles, we did pretty good. For the Tarheel offense being such a hurry-up offense with quick-strike capability, we still had 11 tackles for loss and 3 QB sacks against them, which was far, far better than I expected. Had key stops and big plays when we needed them, especially that late-game goal-line stop that killed the Tarheel's last gasp...

Big impact players for the game:

Mike Davis & Brandon Wilds: with the big question of who fills Lattimore's huge void looming, things are looking good, at least initially. Davis was impressive - bullish strength plus above-decent speed, he would not be denied tonight. Could be a sign of many great games to come. Wilds was also impressive, with many hard-driving gains of his own. We ended up not even seeing Carson until mop-up duty...

Shaq Roland: OK, he had a dropped sure TD pass later in the game, but had the huge 65-yd score early to set the tone of the game. Shaq needs to gain some confidence and earn the confidence of his coaches, because he's a great talent. Hopefully tonight dished out plenty of both...

Skai Moore: Skai was expected to be a backup, and considering he's a true freshman that alone is surprising. But Skai ended up being a huge contributor and racked up some big tackles. Looks like we're going to be fine at LB...

T.J. Gurley: T.J. ended up having to play a lot more after Kadetrix Marcus was injured. Marcus may be out for the UGA game as well....we'll need to wait for word later, possibly not until next week. But Gurley stepped up and was a team leader in tackles. He was projected to become a major player for us - it may come sooner than later...

Darius English: Darius was constantly in the UNC backfield and was a disruption often. I can easily see how much of a factor he'll become once he adds about another 20-30 lbs to his frame. Sutton stepped up later in the game, but I thought English out-shined Chaz a bit tonight...

Elliott Fry: 2-2 on FGs and 3-3 on PATs. Had great height and distance on each FG...he would've made them from a much longer distance. Not bad kid, not bad at all....

Other honorable mentions:

Dylan Thompson: His participation was as brief as possible, but he made it count with a TD bomb. Dylan just throws TD passes...

Kane Whitehurst: He catches the TD from Thompson...a great first-game effort from him...
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
I thought JJ Marcus got hurt?
He did...don't know how bad, but word was he could miss the UGA game...

One positive side to that was, his back-up (Gurley) led the team in tackles....
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
My observations on our season-opening game versus UNC:

- We held them to their lowest point total under Fedora (previous low was 18 pts vs Miami last season)

- Our offense was pretty balanced: had 200+ rushing yds and close to 200 passing yds. Connor was 11 for 20 which was not his usual efficient self, but considering the first gm of season plus Ellington was limited and Anderson was out, it was pretty good. We had no turnovers...

- Our defense had some hiccups, but considering UNC's oppressive offensive style, plus the oppressive weather conditions (hot & muggy), as well as many newcomers playing big roles, we did pretty good. For the Tarheel offense being such a hurry-up offense with quick-strike capability, we still had 11 tackles for loss and 3 QB sacks against them, which was far, far better than I expected. Had key stops and big plays when we needed them, especially that late-game goal-line stop that killed the Tarheel's last gasp...

Big impact players for the game:

Mike Davis & Brandon Wilds: with the big question of who fills Lattimore's huge void looming, things are looking good, at least initially. Davis was impressive - bullish strength plus above-decent speed, he would not be denied tonight. Could be a sign of many great games to come. Wilds was also impressive, with many hard-driving gains of his own. We ended up not even seeing Carson until mop-up duty...

Shaq Roland: OK, he had a dropped sure TD pass later in the game, but had the huge 65-yd score early to set the tone of the game. Shaq needs to gain some confidence and earn the confidence of his coaches, because he's a great talent. Hopefully tonight dished out plenty of both...

Skai Moore: Skai was expected to be a backup, and considering he's a true freshman that alone is surprising. But Skai ended up being a huge contributor and racked up some big tackles. Looks like we're going to be fine at LB...

T.J. Gurley: T.J. ended up having to play a lot more after Kadetrix Marcus was injured. Marcus may be out for the UGA game as well....we'll need to wait for word later, possibly not until next week. But Gurley stepped up and was a team leader in tackles. He was projected to become a major player for us - it may come sooner than later...

Darius English: Darius was constantly in the UNC backfield and was a disruption often. I can easily see how much of a factor he'll become once he adds about another 20-30 lbs to his frame. Sutton stepped up later in the game, but I thought English out-shined Chaz a bit tonight...

Elliott Fry: 2-2 on FGs and 3-3 on PATs. Had great height and distance on each FG...he would've made them from a much longer distance. Not bad kid, not bad at all....

Other honorable mentions:

Dylan Thompson: His participation was as brief as possible, but he made it count with a TD bomb. Dylan just throws TD passes...

Kane Whitehurst: He catches the TD from Thompson...a great first-game effort from him...
I think they said we held them to their lowest total yardage as well, I may be mistaken though.

Darius English benefited from the Tarheels scheming toward Sutton, but nonetheless he still played well.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Good - No major injuries
Offensive line
Running backs
Fry's kicking
No turnovers
Bad - Team conditioning?
not true.....JJ has a hurt shoulder and it could take awhile to recover.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I thought our tackling was poor....had a lot of bad angles. I thought Shaw was good at times but bad even more. There was an open WR on almost every single pass play called. He's about the same as last year. OL better than last year.....I don't know. We could have put the game away but couldn't gain a couple of yards when we needed it. I'm chalking up this one to first game blues.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #20
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I thought our tackling was poor....had a lot of bad angles. I thought Shaw was good at times but bad even more. There was an open WR on almost every single pass play called. He's about the same as last year. OL better than last year.....I don't know. We could have put the game away but couldn't gain a couple of yards when we needed it. I'm chalking up this one to first game blues.
If we win when Shaw plays bad more then he plays good, theoretically we can never lose. So that's why he is the starter and stays in the game? That explains everything now. Spurrier does know whats going on after all.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote