CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
ChickenButt
lilhornet
robgusc76
Freshman ND WR " (873)
Call of Duty: Advanc (542)
Good Riddance to bad (477)
Keeping tailgate foo (329)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (299)
Bashing Players, coa (240)
The Comeback & T (235)
An A to Z of Noah We (218)
Wallpaper & Back (119)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (106)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
TeMarcus Blanton
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
bmwparts
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
bmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spurs
Default Did we blitz at all? Offense took foot off the gas early!

I saw some pressure from 4-5 at times but for the most part we rushed 3-4 guys and anybody could see that the offense took there foot off the gas early. I said all week if we scored fast and early it would get Vanilla to say the least & it did, every time we ran Davis or Wilds and then mixed in the pass we scored, there was a few of our possessions where you could tell "they were trying stuff". But overall considering how the nation was saying UNC could beat us it was a good, safe, vanilla at times, no blitzing game.

positives: Shaq, Davis, Wilds, kickers

negatives: running Shaw to much & Hampton returning punts/kick offs! we can't afford to lose either of them & Thompson not getting enough playing time.

not worried about: the defense, yesterday was the hottest, most humid its been all summer, it was 110 in my shop at 3:30.

go cocks!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
metalspoon96
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4425
metalspoon96 is sharpening his clawsmetalspoon96 is sharpening his clawsmetalspoon96 is sharpening his clawsmetalspoon96 is sharpening his clawsmetalspoon96 is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Did we blitz at all? Offense took foot off the gas early!

When a team runs screens and short slant routes, they are wanting to you rush 5-6 guys. Luckily we didn't fall for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
I saw some pressure from 4-5 at times but for the most part we rushed 3-4 guys and anybody could see that the offense took there foot off the gas early. I said all week if we scored fast and early it would get Vanilla to say the least & it did, every time we ran Davis or Wilds and then mixed in the pass we scored, there was a few of our possessions where you could tell "they were trying stuff". But overall considering how the nation was saying UNC could beat us it was a good, safe, vanilla at times, no blitzing game.

positives: Shaq, Davis, Wilds, kickers

negatives: running Shaw to much & Hampton returning punts/kick offs! we can't afford to lose either of them & Thompson not getting enough playing time.

not worried about: the defense, yesterday was the hottest, most humid its been all summer, it was 110 in my shop at 3:30.

go cocks!
Don't know about taking our foot off the gas persay, as some of it where a few drops and penalties. Its the first game...par for the course. Based on our normal history of looking bad, but always winning in our openers, I'd say it was pretty good.

Shaq did some good things, but he also had the drop in the end zone. He is getting there and will be there. Jones was the most consistent one out there.

With Shaw it is less about them running him to much, and more about what Spurrier has been telling both him, and Garcia when he was here...slide. Both seem to think they are Jerome Bettis or something.

From what I can tell the LBs did a good job of things, considering the youth there, you didn't see much of it. Sure there was some, but nothing concerning.

Positives for me: RBs, Kickers, Jones, LBs, depth

Negatives: Referees, and David Pollock (can't find much on the team I'd consider a negative right now)

just some of my thoughts.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

It may have been the size difference but the offensive line opened up some big holes last night
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I did not see us blitz at all. We held unc in check while only rushing 4 or less all night. They scored the fewest points and gained the fewest yards against us than in their previous 12 games.

We didn't need to blitz against them, our defense was light years ahead of their offense.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I was about to get sort of concerned about the DL play in the first game post-lawing, but then I remembered when we played Southern Miss and they didn't do a ton either. So I think maybe it was largely the offense they were going against. I would like to see better tackling on the back end, but maybe that's first game stuff. Thankfully Gurley came in and he can get a guy on the ground.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
McBrain
Walk On

Male

McBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
positives:...kickers
Fry was good, but I thought Landon Ard was terrible on kickoffs.
McBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

You don't blitz that offense

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

No reason to blitz UNC when you have A. a great D-line B. the offense getting the ball off in 2-3 seconds every time.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspoon96 View Post
When a team runs screens and short slant routes, they are wanting to you rush 5-6 guys. Luckily we didn't fall for it.

Exactly, you don't blitz this type of scheme except in maybe 3rd and long situations. I think the announcer who likened this offense to the triple option is right. It is designed to get the ball on the edges in space where your skill players can make someone miss. Then you have a numbers advantage if the first guy misses.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Impressed with Skai Moore. He seemed to be in the pile on almost every tackle.

Also wasn't expecting to really see Griffen at DT. dude made some plays though

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

I thought Connor looked a little shaky at times last night. He missed picking up on the blitz about half a dozen times, but overall I thought we looked pretty good. That hit on Vic should have resulted in an ejection though. Really hope Spurrier sends that one to the NCAA for review, the kid deserves to sit a game.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
westcoastspur
Walk On

Male

westcoastspur has feathers coming inwestcoastspur has feathers coming inwestcoastspur has feathers coming in

I thought we were a little vanilla on defense. But as I saw someone say in the previous post, there wasn't really a need to. The defensive line was in the backfield alot, its just the quarterback got rid of the ball so quick. I like our match up with a more traditional offense like Georgia's next week.
westcoastspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

against a team like UNC you keep it in front of you and get them to make a mistake. We diid that very well. If we hadn't helped them on that 1 drive for a TD they would have scored 3. Pretty positive start.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
jseal777
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his comb
Default Did we blitz at all? Offense took foot off the gas early!

This is my thought of the matchup
Our "undersized" receivers played well and did enough to keep the run game wide open.
Our youth at linebacker didn't hurt us and this is maybe the most pass happy team we will see until we play that team up north. I'm not too sure but it looked like we didn't let them burn us over the top. That's there game is to hit the flats until the backs pull up and play soft and then they throw one to the posts and put 7 on the board. We didn't let them do that. I'm proud of our guys and I'm ready to go to Athens next weekend.
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Impressed with Skai Moore. He seemed to be in the pile on almost every tackle.

Also wasn't expecting to really see Griffen at DT. dude made some plays though

Yeah good point, Griffin was already playing a lot in the middle last night which is damn near unheard of for a true freshman. It looks like he was a GREAT steal! Skai Moore was also really impressive for a late steal type recruit as well. Our defensive staff can freaking recruit. They might need to work on the DE slot though, man those back-ups look like lacrosse players.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Yeah good point, Griffin was already playing a lot in the middle last night which is damn near unheard of for a true freshman. It looks like he was a GREAT steal! Skai Moore was also really impressive for a late steal type recruit as well. Our defensive staff can freaking recruit. They might need to work on the DE slot though, man those back-ups look like lacrosse players.
Don't forget about Darius... dude needs a sandwich or 8, but he's got a motor... saw him in on a bunch of plays last night.

Dixon Jr. also had a good game too.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Mr. Belvedere
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudlyMr. Belvedere is crowing loudly

Why would you blitz a screen oriented, quick out offense?

Football 101.
Mr. Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Considering that Deke Adams is our DL coach AND was on the staff at UNC last season, I think our Defensive scheme was just fine

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote