CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
RGHoskins
uscGRAD04
smoovecock
Brad Lawing (1528)
Perspective on our g (1358)
Currently 2nd in att (970)
Alshon - Bose (835)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (775)
How cool would it be (699)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (519)
Carolina/Clemson gam (444)
Awesome time waster (401)
Garcia vs Clemson To (347)
Constant Updates on Watso
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Where to watch in Arlingt
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Currently 2nd in attendan
Brad Lawing
Alshon - Bose
Odell Becham Catch

Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default The defense, besides the d-line

Anyone else worried about the back 7? I know it was the first game. But I saw tons of missed tackles, poor angles were taken all game long. Marcus is out for a while with an injury. It seemed at times that we didn't even have lb's on the field. IMO we cant get C Cooper back soon enough. I really hope he is ready to go, or Gurshal may have a field day next Saturday. Thoughts?
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The defense, besides the d-line

IMO, the back 7 is going to take a small step back this year. They're lighter but quicker. We may yield a few more PPG this year and, considering our losses, I think that's understandable. But I feel the offense will more than make up for it.

Also, given all the youngsters that played--and will play--it bodes well for our future, assuming we evaluated them well.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Everyone talks about how much we're going to miss Swearinger, but I think we may miss Holloman more than most think.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Anyone else worried about the back 7? I know it was the first game. But I saw tons of missed tackles, poor angles were taken all game long. Marcus is out for a while with an injury. It seemed at times that we didn't even have lb's on the field. IMO we cant get C Cooper back soon enough. I really hope he is ready to go, or Gurshal may have a field day next Saturday. Thoughts?
We played a lot of young players last night and I thought they played very well given the challenge the UNC O presented. We didn't give up any big plays. That's a sign of a good team.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

You'll see a different defense next week. We played very good defense the last quarter last night and it was solid throughout the game.

Remember we held that team 150 yards below their average and that's the lowest point total they've had under fedora. Wait until Clowney is all over Murray next week and you'll feel better about them

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

I'm not knocking the back 7. I know they are young and going to go through some growing pains. Just a little concerned. I was pretty impressed with TJ Holloman and Skai Moore! Moore is going to be a good one! Love that play were he blew up the UNC RB.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Back 7 definitely isn't the same without Swearinger and Holloman. Those were 2 LB's playing in the secondary.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
vibesmoother
Throwin F-Bombs in 506

Male

vibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervous

I'm not.

I think it was expected that UNCs up tempo offense would be able to get some chunks of yardage (a la Mizzou last year) but when it came down to it the D came through. The heat, 1st game adjustments to real time speed, and UNCs pace of play I think made it look worse than it was. A few times it did look like the whole defense was caught off guard by the tempo.

The young LBs now have a game under their belt, the coaches have game film to look at and adjust from, and Legree, Hampton, Williams, et. al. know the deal. They'll be ready for UGA.

It was by far a perfect game from the cocks, but I think a solid performance to build off of and gain some momentum going into next week. We haven't always been able to say that and I'm realistically optimistic about the improvement in some of our less than stellar areas for next week.
vibesmoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Aikenitous
5* blue chip

Male

Aikenitous has hatched from the shell

Remember when we were in charlotte 2 yrs ago vs ecu? And they put up 37 pts? And 345 yrds? And oh yea...we had to go to Georgia that next week. I'd wait until panic really sets in.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
We played a lot of young players last night and I thought they played very well given the challenge the UNC O presented. We didn't give up any big plays. That's a sign of a good team.
Yessir
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Kinda would like to see somebody step up vocally out there just a little. Not saying we need a swearinger, but some emotion would help. Especially on those long drives when everybody is gassed, it would be nice to have a guy smacking helmets and re-motivating the team a little to dig in and get a stop.

That kinda seemed to be missing. That mean streak out there.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I think it's hard to judge the D based on the offense UNC ran. Even Ward said it's the fastest offense we've seen, even faster than Clemson. There is always a lot of improvement between week 1 and 2. I think guys will learn from their mistakes, play better, and with UGA's more pro style, set offense, we will see a different type of defense next week.

Doesn't mean there isn't some concern for the secondary but I think we will see improvement from them as the season goes on.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Coaches were swapping lots of players in and out....all those newer guys were getting valuable experience.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Everyone talks about how much we're going to miss Swearinger, but I think we may miss Holloman more than most think.
Exactly! We are going to miss his intelligence and play making ability at the Spur. Golightly is quick but he isn't the run stopper that Devonte is. You see how well he is playing in Dallas
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I think it's hard to judge the D based on the offense UNC ran. Even Ward said it's the fastest offense we've seen, even faster than Clemson. There is always a lot of improvement between week 1 and 2. I think guys will learn from their mistakes, play better, and with UGA's more pro style, set offense, we will see a different type of defense next week.

Doesn't mean there isn't some concern for the secondary but I think we will see improvement from them as the season goes on.
I agree. You will see a slower pace and different type of game vs Uga. They will study their mistakes and get better hopefully.

Like Clowney said, they only had 10 PTs.

I'll take 10 PTs and less than 300 yards on 79 plays
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Yes, but its the first game and they're young. Gurley can tackle. Get a couple more like him out there and we will be solid. Skai moore looked great for a froshie.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

They'll get it corrected. I expect Brison Williams to move back to BS with Marcus out and TJ Gurley to take over a FS. That combination did pretty well against Mizzou last year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Holloman will be missed, certainly! Was my favorite defender last 2 seasons.

I think when you keep UNC and Fedora's offense to 10 points and 293 total yards on 78 (?) plays, your defense has played well. Also, with Clowney at less than 100% and our defense very young, I think they played very well!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
U-S-C till i D-I-E
Recruit

Male

U-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming inU-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming in

I thought they did good. They gave up 1 td in one half and 1 fg in another half, nothing wrong with that. The name of defense is to keep the other team from scoring. I just wish they didn't talk about Clowney the whole time, I'm still not sure who was playing most of the time. I do know whoever #9 is, he's going to be all the field.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Kinda would like to see somebody step up vocally out there just a little. Not saying we need a swearinger, but some emotion would help. Especially on those long drives when everybody is gassed, it would be nice to have a guy smacking helmets and re-motivating the team a little to dig in and get a stop.

That kinda seemed to be missing. That mean streak out there.

Quelcy Quarles will do that, IMOP. He didn't play in the first half, which was a big hole, but the guys filled in nicely. He's integral and after he got banged up against LSU last season we noticed.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote