CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
18IsTheMan
GH
yazoo
Cockypantherfan
The Yancey
Acockolypse Now
garnet_black215
Confused fan here. (4363)
Is anybody still opt (4009)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (2128)
How were the Aggie f (1400)
Will Gameday still c (1033)
Heck of an atmospher (916)
Play for next year (854)
Priority #1: Teach T (801)
Ward's D has a patte (793)
great pic (735)
I hate a thief
Confused fan here. Why i
Watching other games
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
Step back from the ledge
2015 Commitment - Shameik
Plugging Holes W/Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Michael
So, Dylan Thompson?
Is anybody still optimist

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Clowney unfairly criticized against UNC

I know there is a topic on here about being sick or gassed for Clowney. However, there was an article written about this topic on Yahoo that talks about this and really puts Clowney's effort and impact in perspective. Outstanding article that I felt was worthy of its own thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...052859726.html
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clowney unfairly criticized against UNC

Good article. Y'all might not want to read what some (unrealistic) folks on the Rivals message board are saying about Clowney and our team. One of them even said UNC exposed our defense (Did we watch the same game?). It will be funny watching them eat their words after next Saturday.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

Maybe he was sick but for Ward to say that UNC is the fastest team he has ever seen?? Maybe they were fast during all of the 3 yard plays they ran all night.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
Maybe he was sick but for Ward to say that UNC is the fastest team he has ever seen?? Maybe they were fast during all of the 3 yard plays they ran all night.

I think he was referring to their tempo being the fastest. Not their players.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

I thought Clowney was everywhere. He played his butt off. People expect huge sacks every play. the guy was changing all kinds of plays. I'll take that hustle all year. against lesser offenses, he will rock people.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

The dude will get into football shape real quick (unless there was illness). He has never been a great practice player because he has never had to be. His hs coordinator said that they would have to take him out of practice at times just so the offense could run plays.. Maybe he got used to that a bit.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

We all knew once he didn't have a huge night everybody would come out the woodwork and bash him. ESPN hyped him to the point where if he didn't have a hit like the outback bowl every game he would be terrible. He did good though last night. Like I said to my friend who was talking about Clowney I will take a win every game if They scheme away from him and we cover it like last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Someone listened to Mike & Mike this morning.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
The dude will get into football shape real quick (unless there was illness). He has never been a great practice player because he has never had to be. His hs coordinator said that they would have to take him out of practice at times just so the offense could run plays.. Maybe he got used to that a bit.
Spurrier says that too. So, nothing has changed.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Good article. Y'all might not want to read what some (unrealistic) folks on the Rivals message board are saying about Clowney and our team. One of them even said UNC exposed our defense (Did we watch the same game?). It will be funny watching them eat their words after next Saturday.
Everyone was talking about how bad we were after the Vandy game last year. It's the same every year. We don't beat someone by 60 in our opener and every one says we suck. I just sit back and laugh.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Well, this is the downside of being over-hyped. I tried say but it but so many people were eating up the hype. He is worthy of great hype, but they went way overboard and now the bar has been set impossibly high for him. I am actually kind of glad NC did such a good job against Clowney, now maybe the expectations are tempered some and Clowney will be more motivated to work harder in preparation. I see this as a learning moment that he will be better from.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
sctvman
Blue Chip

Male

sctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talonssctvman has developed his gaff and talons

Jason McIntyre of the Big Lead: Clowney was awful last night. Draft stock way down. Twitter said so RT @tmckenna1: Clowney in the second round? Are you high
sctvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
I thought Clowney was everywhere. He played his butt off. People expect huge sacks every play. the guy was changing all kinds of plays. I'll take that hustle all year. against lesser offenses, he will rock people.
I agree. I thought, Clowney had great effort. He was tired because he was trying so hard. UNC just did a good job against him. They were aware of him every paly, they couldn't keep from losing to the Gamecocks but they sure as heck weren't going to lose to Clowney, and they didn't. They ran their entire offense just to frustrate him it seemed. Oh, well 27 -10, on to the next one.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Due in large part to Clowney, we held one of the nation's best offenses to 10 pts. People are retarded. I am glad he is getting so much hate. I hope he reads it all and goes nuts against Murray. UGA won't run that many dang plays either.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

It's a double edged sword in today's over hyped media world. You get the big build up and don't meet expectations of the hypers and they swing on you like a cycle. Price of fame whether we like it or not. That's the reality.
athenscock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctvman View Post
Jason McIntyre of the Big Lead: Clowney was awful last night. Draft stock way down. Twitter said so RT @tmckenna1: Clowney in the second round? Are you high
Dude's just tryin to be controversial & get some attention. He's not stupid enough to believe that. None of these people are.

And yes, the bar is ridiculously high. Anyone expecting what people currently are expecting doesn't understand how football positions work. The DE is not a position that will be in on massive numbers of plays every game, especially when a team has all summer to plan for one DE. He still disrupted several plays and ran people down for tackles several times. People are just ridiculous sometimes...well most of the time.
Pty23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

What happen to everybody who was saying they were ok with the hype?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
McLovin
Recruit

Male

McLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to McLovin

Spurrier said Clowney, Kelsey, and Chaz Sutton were doing sprints on their own after practices during camp, so it's not a conditioning thing it has to be the illness. I don't want to see bright lights or loud voices if I've been hovering over a toilet for hours and JD was still chasing screens sideline to sideline and splitting double teams. These booger eating headline chasers need to get a grip.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

The Gamecocks allowed a qb who averaged 300+ yards per game last year, to throw 43 times for 194 yards (4.5 per attempt) and allowed the tarholes to rush for 99 yards(2.8 per rush) and held a team that averaged 39 points per game to 10 points ; this was a team that allowed their defense to be exposed? Obviously, someone doesn't know sh** from shinola.
As for Clowney, I thought he play an above average game in 95 degree and very high humidity weather with a stomach "virus". What were these "talking heads" watching? Even Johnny football does not score on every play.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

People including fans have hyped JC. and it could be harmful to his performance. I just hope he will be himself , dont try to live up to other peoples expectations.
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote