CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
GoldenSpur7
ReadR00ster
Cockypantherfan
Gyle41386
**USC vs. Davidson G (4672)
SEC Network "Ta (1492)
Sunday college footb (485)
Early Pre-Season wom (470)
So who was the dude (447)
Ole Miss Projected R (446)
Acock reviews the SE (433)
Kentucky Inmate Star (419)
Get the SEC Network (416)
Tennessee hires Donn (400)
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
Does anyone have a link t
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2001 vs Sandstorm
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
FACIAL
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
atlcocky
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
atlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spurs
Default Couldn't have had a better start the way I see it

Gamecock fans know that we often come out flat in the opener. Sloppy plays, false starts, miscommunication, missed assignments, etc. But after watching in the stands and rewatching the broadcast I have to say that I am super pleased and excited about this team. I went to bed being pissed about the criticism of Clowney and woke up thinking about it mostly because I knew that all of this hype would backfire- and in an unfair way.

On second thought, this is perfect. There was no real star last night- because we actually have a full TEAM, with depth at quarterback, wide receiver, running back, right end. Oh and a massive offensive line with a freshman center than didn't choke first game. On the other side of the ball we have a hardcore D line ( including several guys not named Clowney), a quick DB corps and a secondary that can cover. On top of that, our 100 pound walk-on kicker made two field goals and we didn't have any major mistakes on special teams ( other than putting Hampton out there at all- too valuable to be out there). Connor was the great game manager that he always is and Dylan stepped out for a moment of glory. I'm not saying we don't have kinks to work out, but that is expected.

Admittedly we all get frustrated with Coach because he calls such a vanilla game sometimes- but we all know that it is all by design so as not to show our cards to UGA.
The icing on the cake is the media turning on Clowney. There is no downside to that ( aside from it pissing me off). It will only be more motivation for him to prove them all wrong. And even if he doesn't have a monster game statistically, who cares? So long as he can occupy 2-3 players on their offense and they scheme around him, the rest of the ( team) defense will step up and make them pay. Win win! I just don't remember feeling this way after the first game. I gotta feeling this is gonna be a great year gamecocks!!
atlcocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6
Default Re: Couldn't have had a better start the way I see it

Heard that

Class of 2013
12+4=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 4400
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

This is what I've been saying, too.

Except for the part about coach "not wanting to show UGA his cards." That is said every year and it's never made sense. Running the ball more because we were up and it was the smart thing to do? Yes. Trying to hide the same offensive plays that he's been running for the past 8 years? Not so much. :)
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
atlcocky
Recruit

Female

atlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spurs

True but somehow it has worked the last three years, so let's not jinx it!! Admittedly it was very frustrating being a fan in the oppressive heat last night.
atlcocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Maybe, we will be underestimated now.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudly

I agree. Any complaints can be attributed to rust in an opening game.

There's the old adage that teams make the most improvement between the first and second game. The pluses of the first game outweigh the minuses. The minuses were just rust. The pluses are:

- Two very capable QB's.
- Two very capable RB's.
- Some new WR's stepping up.
- O-line is probably better than last year.
- Our D held them to fewer points than anyone they played last year. Gimmick offenses, i.e. ones that try to equalize the playing field against better talent, give even good defenses fits. A single touchdown and a single field goal isn't too shabby against a team that regularly scored 40. And while the ACC isn't the SEC, it's still more than Saint Martha's School of the Proverbially Challenged (which I think Texas A&M might have scheduled this year).

Last edited by CockyInSeattle; 08-31-2013 at 01:15 AM.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Best opening game I have seen this team play in a long time. Remember Vandy? ECU - we were down by several scores.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 4400
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Best opening game I have seen this team play in a long time. Remember Vandy? ECU - we were down by several scores.
we tend to play very well at home. hopefully we can become a consistently great road team this year also.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

I think we will see UNC ranked by season's end. They're a better team than people think, and us beating them like we did makes people think we're average.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Given that we've been known to be kinda sloppy in openers, I was pleased. Comfortable lead with 17 points. We had a convincing lead..especially in the first quarter.

Yes, the D wasn't their best. Yes,we have to work out the kinks. But that's ok. Happens to every team. Still have 11 more weeks. Be glad that were 1-0!

Now lets focus on UGA!
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
gsmith4776
4-Star

Male

gsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his comb

I too, was very impressed with that game. Had the delay not occurred then I'm sure we would have added another score.
Offense was good. A little rust, but our best wr and te were out. It was nice, like the op said, to not have any to's and no wasted time outs, false starts, illegal formations, etc.... That tells me that our guys pay attention and want to play smart football. Their heads are in the right place.
The only negatives for me on o were shaw holding the ball and the line not being able to get the push they needed at times.
The defense played well for having to replace a lot of leadership and experience. Solid game, and looked like what we've grown accustomed to seeing the past few years. Clowney will be fine, and I think they will only get better as the season goes on.
I did not like giving up long 3rd and 4th dwn conversions. We need to get off the field, esp if its a long conversion. Also we seemed to give up some yards on inside runs but part of that could have been us being tired, or the d playing contain so those wr screens, etc wouldn't hurt us.
Special teams was solid. I do disagree that Hampton shouldn't return kicks. I mean, ace was the #1 wr last season and he did it. Point is, we all saw how valuable a good returner is to have. It is a game hanging position, why not have your best guy out there? Vic almost broke one the other night.
Anyway, it was a great game and unc was better than I expected. Like vandy last yr, this game will prove to be a quality win.
gsmith4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Clowney is average, and out of shape now. I hope Georgia writes him off.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

A W is a W
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Couldn't have had a better start the way I see it

Next week will tell all.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 397
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
I agree! Perfect? Far from it. Better? Most definitely!