CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
DTGCOCKS#32
KaneisAble
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
Pw00132
carolinacocky
sunbeam
kingofnerf
400 pasing yards (1003)
HBC Weekly Presser (999)
Funny? (975)
Thompson Has Neck In (929)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (564)
What fish do you eat (526)
KY Suspends 4 Player (486)
Clowney didnt get ma (357)
4th & 1 Play (290)
Thompson Has Neck Injury
HBC Weekly Presser
QB Recruiting Strategy
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Thoughts on the basketbal
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Build a New Stadium
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi

Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
usc51
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit
Default OL Blocking

One thing our offensive linemen need to work on, especially the tackles, is to block the entire play. They had a pretty good game on Thursday but one thing that's been a problem for a while now is a lot of the time they make initial contact with a defender and then just stop blocking. Here's an example, watch both Brandon Shell and Corey Robinson on Wilds' run on 4th down. They both hit their guy and do a good job of pushing them back but then they stop blocking. Both of the guys they hit end up getting back into the pile and (unsuccessfully) start pushing back against Wilds. On this same play, Cann does a great job of finishing the block. Like I said, it doesn't happen every time, but it happens more often than it should.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: OL Blocking

Its also a scheme thing. It was short yardage situation. The OL needed just a short push to get the first. I liked our OL performance against NC.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
usc51
Household Name

Male

usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Its also a scheme thing. It was short yardage situation. The OL needed just a short push to get the first. I liked our OL performance against NC.
Maybe it's a scheme thing but then that needs to be fixed because both of those players got in on the play. I agree, the OL played pretty well against UNC, this is just something I've notice the past few years.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
USC_The_Cheetah
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
USC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spurs

I was absolutely trying my best to stay out of this discussion but I'm going to share a practical (football) point-of-view about our O-Lines's performance.

1. The 1st philosophy of a dominat offensive line is to reestablish the line of scrimmage. (i.e. moving immovable objects - by force) I have to be honest & admitt that, as a die hard Gamecock fan, I only care that we win. However, as a former player and student of the game I watch position battles & evaluate "how" we win. Our offensive line didn't create nearly enough push as their 50+ pound advantage should have allowed. I agree 1,000% with the poster that the plays are not being finished by our lineman(boys). That has to change.

Brandon Shell mentioned that the #1 piece of advice he's gotten from his uncle (Art Shell) was to finish plays. Our boys make initial contact & start looking around for the ball carriers.

2. The second philosophy of a dominant offensive line is to play THROUGH the whistle & sometimes that means a late whistle. When you see our ball carriers being ridden to the ground by 5 & 6 defenders & our offensive line is standing there watching. That's a problem because the whistle hasn't blown. Lunacy!!!!!!

3. In the old school - There is a huge pride in a concept called "3 yards in a cloud of dust". It ain't pretty or flashy but if an offensive line can generate enough push to advance the ball 3 to 4 yards a pop, then guess what, the chains keep moving because we're enforcing our will against the opponent.

4. Last, this type of philosophy may not be what our guys are being taught but I can assure you that it's the style of play that wins champinships. As a matter of fact, which types of teams have won the last 5? The zone read & inside zone only requires a lane to be opened in an instant. It's up to the H-Back to see the hole & hit it. My wish is that those plays become situational & we play hard nosed football on the offensive line. Yes, it takes a certain mentality but if you train up an athlete under be right philosophy, THEY WILL ADAPT.

I'm hopeful but we need to step it up on the O-Line

#spokenfromtheheart

The Corner Has Been Turned ~ Go Gamecocks!
USC_The_Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
LongTimeCock
Walk On

Male

LongTimeCock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_The_Cheetah View Post
I was absolutely trying my best to stay out of this discussion but I'm going to share a practical (football) point-of-view about our O-Lines's performance.

1. The 1st philosophy of a dominat offensive line is to reestablish the line of scrimmage. (i.e. moving immovable objects - by force) I have to be honest & admitt that, as a die hard Gamecock fan, I only care that we win. However, as a former player and student of the game I watch position battles & evaluate "how" we win. Our offensive line didn't create nearly enough push as their 50+ pound advantage should have allowed. I agree 1,000% with the poster that the plays are not being finished by our lineman(boys). That has to change.

Brandon Shell mentioned that the #1 piece of advice he's gotten from his uncle (Art Shell) was to finish plays. Our boys make initial contact & start looking around for the ball carriers.

2. The second philosophy of a dominant offensive line is to play THROUGH the whistle & sometimes that means a late whistle. When you see our ball carriers being ridden to the ground by 5 & 6 defenders & our offensive line is standing there watching. That's a problem because the whistle hasn't blown. Lunacy!!!!!!

3. In the old school - There is a huge pride in a concept called "3 yards in a cloud of dust". It ain't pretty or flashy but if an offensive line can generate enough push to advance the ball 3 to 4 yards a pop, then guess what, the chains keep moving because we're enforcing our will against the opponent.

4. Last, this type of philosophy may not be what our guys are being taught but I can assure you that it's the style of play that wins champinships. As a matter of fact, which types of teams have won the last 5? The zone read & inside zone only requires a lane to be opened in an instant. It's up to the H-Back to see the hole & hit it. My wish is that those plays become situational & we play hard nosed football on the offensive line. Yes, it takes a certain mentality but if you train up an athlete under be right philosophy, THEY WILL ADAPT.

I'm hopeful but we need to step it up on the O-Line

#spokenfromtheheart

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't go to USC so I can't hold my hand up.

Last edited by LongTimeCock; 08-31-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: messed up
LongTimeCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
You still ought to play until the whistle though, it's not like chopping in the box on passing downs.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
One thing our offensive linemen need to work on, especially the tackles, is to block the entire play. They had a pretty good game on Thursday but one thing that's been a problem for a while now is a lot of the time they make initial contact with a defender and then just stop blocking. Here's an example, watch both Brandon Shell and Corey Robinson on Wilds' run on 4th down. They both hit their guy and do a good job of pushing them back but then they stop blocking. Both of the guys they hit end up getting back into the pile and (unsuccessfully) start pushing back against Wilds. On this same play, Cann does a great job of finishing the block. Like I said, it doesn't happen every time, but it happens more often than it should.

I'm impressed you noticed that, have you been legitimately studying the film or something to that effect?
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
I saw it a lot. Not just short yardage.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
usc51
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I'm impressed you noticed that, have you been legitimately studying the film or something to that effect?
I was taught at an early age that football is all about offensive line vs defensive line. When I'm at games, that's what I'm watching 99% of the time. Same on TV/replays.

It's a problem that is easily correctable, I just hope it's corrected.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
It's a problem that is easily correctable, I just hope it's corrected.
Well it stood out on that clip and they all get graded after each game.
Still factor in the zone blocking scheme and the heat-midity. Check them again in a few weeks and see if has improved.

Have to be impressed with A.J.....dude's a beast!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

that plus if there isnt a big hole or much push youre giving your rb a chance to make a play on his own. an example of this was the detroit lions in 1997. the new coach gave barry sanders a fullback for the first time since he was in the nfl. first two games 53 yards total. after that 2nd game they told everyone to hold their blocks longer. the result, 2000 yards over the next 14 games including an nfl record 14 straight 100 yard games.

i saw multiple times in pass blocking where they stunted and it looked like cody waldrop didnt recognize it. he would be doubling someone and a free rusher would come into his area and he wouldnt pick him up. pass blocking overall i thought was pretty good, but its something we need to clean up.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

I wouldn't worry about it. our boys will be ready to play every game. And with the break coming in 2 weeks, plenty of time to correct the mistakes and dominate throughout the year.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Robinson knocked his man back 4 yds. Nice block. I think youre off base. I see what you are saying but the play was not on his side. If every lineman makes his initial block every play should score.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote