CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (28104)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2245)
Simple "yes&quo (1582)
We actually didnt lo (1427)
Phil Steele just pre (1259)
what I think ab ward (1161)
Extremely Proud (1060)
Eat Crow (1048)
I want people to exp (823)
Garcia: Change the R (806)
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default South Carolina Vs. Georgia Matchup Analysis

This thread is just how I feel about the individual and group matchups in this game. Feedback is more than welcome. I did one for last year and was spot on if yall remember. Go cocks!

QB: This is all about Aaron Murray vs. Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson. Connor will be the starter as Spurrier has stated before, but i believe Dylan will probably get about ten or so snaps this game in my opinion. Besides being a headcase, Aaron Murray has the tools of an NFL quarterback. Strong arm, great mechanics, and USUALLY a good decision maker. Connor Shaw as we all know is a game manager but has a good enough arm to make most of the throws you need to make in the ball game. Dylan has the stronger arm of the two and is a better decision maker. Connor's zone read element will be very beneficial if the clemson georgia game shows anything about UGA's Defense. However, as far as ability, Aaron Murray is a better Quarterback. However, looking at the individual matchups, the quarterback situation seems very even in this game. With Georgia being very young all around the place, Connor Shaw's experience will be crucial. As long as he makes good decisions, and protects the ball, look for him to have a big day. Aaron Murray however in the passing game will have a harder time i think than he did in the clemson game. He will have a better D-line getting pressure and he will have to get the ball off fast without making a mistake which im not sure he can do. The real question is will he be able to outduel our young linebackers and use their inexperience against them. I think that Whammy will come up with a good gameplan and the linebackers will play their assignments well enough for Aaron to either take a sack or make bad throws
Advantage: USC

Runningbacks: This is a tough one. On one side you have possibly the best runningback in the nation in Todd Gurley with Keith Marshall being probably in the top 10. Then you have Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds being young but very talented. This is where it gets bad for USC. Their inexperience at linebacker could be exploited in this game if they don't grow up fast. Gurley and Marshall both are strong and very fast and if we dont wrap up they could have a field day. Mike and Brandon performed very well, and with inexperience and bad tackling from the clemson game rolling over, they should have a solid day and help in the passing game also. Very close, but UGA just has too much talent at the RB spot.
Advantage:UGA

Receivers: After the news that Malcolm Mitchell is out for the year, it really turns into a "who is going to catch the ball" situation. The receivers for UGA are solid, but there are not many playmakers to be scared of imo. Bennett is pretty good, and conley is experienced, but they just dont have that star power or notoriety you are used to seeing at UGA. On the flip side, their counter parts at USC are pretty inexperienced, but very talented. Bruce ellington is 100% and we all know how good he can be. Shaq Roland should improve on his week last week, and nick Jones and Damiere Byrd have shown that they can be pretty reliable. Add in the fact that Busta is back most likely and Jerell Adams, shaw/thompson have a lot of options to throw to. With the inexperience at UGA in the Defense Backfield including TWO TRUE FRESHMAN starting, receivers should find themselves open a bunch. Will connor get the ball to them? remains to be seen.

Offensive line: Lets just be upfront and honest here. UGA looked absolutely horrible against Clemson and the Tackles got abused all night, While USC came out and for the most point dominated at the point of attack and gave the quarterbacks a pretty good amount of time to operate. UGA will have a horrible time holding our dline, and im sure whammy will dial up some more blitz to expose the Oline of UGA. UGA also lost a lot of their passrushing playmakers last year, and i expect that USC will try to come out and dictate the point of attack on saturday and should be able to.

Defensive Line: Not only are we most likely the most talented D-line in the SEC, but now people have questioned Jadeveon Clowney and given him motivation. IF we play up to par, Then OUR DLINE should have a field day against the UGA oline. UGA however struggled getting any type of passrush and also got pushed around by clemsons oline. They struggled mightily and they will have to try and do better against a BIG USC oline.

Linebackers: UGA and USC lost virtually every starter between the two at Linebacker. USC's linebackers are fast and athletic but are very inexperienced. They played pretty well against UNC, but now they are going to be in Athens in a hostile environment. They have to grow up big time. UGA also has some solid athletes at linebacker, but being at home will be a huge deal for them. Against the Runningbacks they should have a hard time stopping Mike and Brandon, but Gurley and Marshall are so good, our linebackers are going to have to play with their hair on fire.
Advantage: UGA

Defensive Backs: UGA is very very young. USC should be able to take advantage of the inexperience of the DB's. They are very talented, but they are not acclimated to the speed of college as shown by clemson passing all over them. They also are not very good tacklers. USC might have a field day if we can play smart. USC has Jimmy Legree, Vic hampton, TJ Gurley and Brison Williams as their starters. Thats a lot of experience and they are all pretty solid. With the Dline coming, they should not have to hold their man for long, it could be a long day for Aaron Murray.

Special Teams: UGA has very good returners back there. And they are better in the kicking game, however, their best kicker may still be suspended. On the other side, Vic hampton was out of control last week and needs to calm down or someone else will need to take his spot. We will have to really contain their returners, and with how bad our kickers performed imo, we may be putting our Defense with a short field more times than not.
Advantage: UGA

Coaching: On saturday I may have watched the biggest choke job by a coach in the fourth quarter as i have ever seen. BOBO did not do a good job of calling plays, and UGA became very predictable. I think that WHammy again will own Bobo, and we should be calling up some pretty good plays on D. Also, Spurrier was very manilla on thursday and we will have to see if Todd Grantham can stop our running or passing game. Im not sure he can.

This will be a tough game, but i think USC pulls away in the fourth. USC 35 UGA 24
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb
Default Re: South Carolina Vs. Georgia Matchup Analysis

I agree with most of this but Hampton is doing what he was asked to do. I like the drive he has. I dont think he should be returing kicks to start with but..... If hes gonna do it do it 100%.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
I agree with most of this but Hampton is doing what he was asked to do. I like the drive he has. I dont think he should be returing kicks to start with but..... If hes gonna do it do it 100%.
even whammy said in the postgame he was out of control.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

STEPHONGILMOREFAN--- I think that you did a damn fine job!
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Sugedatdude
Cocky Que

Male

Sugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spurs

I think we should have a solid offensive game plan developed after our coaches see how inexperienced their defense is (particularly their back 7)...and conversely I think our defense should focus on pressuring Murray w/o blitzing and making gurley & marshall non factors (ala last year). If we do that and take their crowd out of it early. We win handedly. Also, not only is mitchell out but they got banged up pretty bad in general.
Sugedatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

yeah, i think cocks win by double digits, even running away in 4th.... especially if UGA utilizes the same playcalling.....
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

24-21 Cocks. Will be a defensive game

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Must stop Gurley and Marshall. Not completely sold on our run defense yet.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Manage Gurley/Marshall and this could be a double digit win.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Hopefully, USC can do what they did last year and jump on Georgia from the start. Turn them into a one dimensional team and then let the defense pin their ears back and tee off on Murray.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
zihed
Walk On

Male

zihed is sharpening his clawszihed is sharpening his clawszihed is sharpening his clawszihed is sharpening his clawszihed is sharpening his claws

usc 38 - 10
zihed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Nicely done. I'm looking for a hell of a ball game, but think we take our fourth win in a row against UGA.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Same here. Feels like that's the wild card. Don't stop the run, probably end up getting an L. Shut them down, we're leaving Athens very happy.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

I think our only concern is really talking.I noticed our players all around the ball but struggled with tackling.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

With out Lattimore, I think we may have a harder time getting into the endzone this year. So I think it will be a close relatively low scoring game. USC 23-17.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

I think we will have a comfortable lead throughout most of the game and win 31-21. Georgia will score a late TD to make it closer.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
You saw the same thing I did. Too early to draw any conclusions but I do worry about some of our LB's not wrapping up. Hopefully some of the poor tackling was a product of the first game.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
You saw the same thing I did. Too early to draw any conclusions but I do worry about some of our LB's not wrapping up. Hopefully some of the poor tackling was a product of the first game.
Yep...we took some bad angles as well....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #19
tdevildog1986
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
tdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his comb

Good job with breaking that down. I think you're spots on 99%..
tdevildog1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
With out Lattimore, I think we may have a harder time getting into the endzone this year. So I think it will be a close relatively low scoring game. USC 23-17.
Our running game has the potential to be much better this year as opposed to last... This shouldn't be a problem