CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
4Runner
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
ReadR00ster
QCB
CBS: SOS to Florida? (2916)
Juco QBs? (1002)
SDS grades the Furma (840)
we can STILL win the (772)
Auburn/USC point spr (622)
Whenever I Get Depre (611)
How do you want Aubu (441)
If the Head Ball Coa (410)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (268)
When did it change ? (201)
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Juco QBs?
2016 - Issac Nauta
Just started playing &quo
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Williams and Mitch
we can STILL win the east
How do you want Auburn to
Auburn/USC point spread
Peyton Manning breaks Bre

Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit
Default USC @ UGA: 5 Match-Ups to Watch

This is my second edition. I'd like to think this one is better written. Hard to find motivation when facing a team coached by a hat.

USC D-Line vs. UGA O-Line:

To put this bluntly, UGA’s O-Line performed dreadfully in the Clemson game. The coaches for UGA shuffled the offensive line up a number of times throughout the game hoping for an answer, yet they found nothing resembling one. Their LT is an undersized junior who has no starting experience except for the Clemson game. Their line looked laughably bad aside from a few plays. UGA’s O-Line gave up four sacks to a far inferior pass rushing team. Clowney and company should be licking their chops. Expect Clowney to come out with a sizable chip on his shoulder like the Clemson game last season. Murray will need to use extra bleach when washing his jersey.

Shaq Roland WR vs. Damian Swann and Brendan Langley CBs:

The Bulldawgs possess good size and speed at CB. Swann led the group with 4 interceptions last season, and he also started all 14 games. I expect him to get matched up with Roland. UGA likes to move CBs around, so I expect Langley gets Roland on certain plays as well. If the opener taught us anything, Spurrier plans to use Roland as USC’s number one big play receiver. USC hasn’t had an 800 yard receiver since Jeffery went off for 1517 yards in 2010. I think Roland fits the bill and sees many targets this season. He would’ve had two TDs in the opener if he tried to catch the ball with his hands instead of his body on that target in the end zone. UNC isn’t exactly UGA as far as talent goes, so this game should tell us much about how the rest of his season will play out. I expect Roland to have a big game.

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds RBs vs. UGA’s Linebacker Core:

I saw so many poor pursuit angles, missed tackles, and botched plays by this group, I expect Davis to go off like a Roman candle on the Fourth of July. I know one game isn’t a large sample size, but UGA’s defense was abysmal. Clemson ran the same QB draw play with Boyd four times for two TDs. At one point, they ran it three times in a row and still got a TD. How can UGA let a team run the same play over and over again without stopping it? McDowell went off for 132 yards, averaging 6 a carry; he’s 5’9 180. If UGA doesn’t perform some sort of black magic blood sacrifice to the football gods, they are in for a LONG day.

USC’s O-line vs. UGA’s D-Line:

UGA runs a 3-4 which relies on the D-Line occupying blockers to let the LBs run free. This works well for teams that can find recruits with the requisite size to man the interior, most importantly a Nose Tackle(think Terrence Cody). Unfortunately for UGA, their Nose Tackle is smaller than every single one of USC’s starting offensive linemen. This means he can be blocked one on one preventing the interior logjam that allows 3-4 LBs to roam free and key in on the QB or RB. The USC offensive line should create some sizable running lanes for the RBs, and Shawmpson(I coined this term, so send all royalties to me) should have ample time to throw.

USC vs. UGA’s Crowd Noise:

USC doesn’t run much no-huddle, so crowd noise won’t have as large of an impact as it does against teams like UNC. USC needs to strike early to negate the crowd factor. If USC goes up by 10 at any point in the first half, expect the stadium to quiet down significantly. Once the crowd quiets down, home field advantage becomes moot.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

Nice write up man. Looks good but I noticed no mention of Bruce being healthy for this one. I think between Roland, Ellington, Byrd, Jones, and the rest of the boys, either QB should have plenty receivers to torch uga's secondary.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit
Default Re: USC @ UGA: 5 Match-Ups to Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthegamecock View Post
Nice write up man. Looks good but I noticed no mention of Bruce being healthy for this one. I think between Roland, Ellington, Byrd, Jones, and the rest of the boys, either QB should have plenty receivers to torch uga's secondary.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Ellington won't have nearly the role Roland will hence my focus on him. He's our number 1 target this season. Ellington will do his usual slot/reverse/gadget plays role. He's not a traditional receiver.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Why is this in smack? Good post.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

I predict that Kane will be utilized more this game and will catch a TD.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Why is this in smack? Good post.
I put this in the wrong forum on accident. Can someone move it for me?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
B]Shaq Roland WR vs. Damian Swann and Brendan Langley CBs:
[/b]
I think Roland fits the bill and sees many targets this season. He would’ve had two TDs in the opener if he tried to catch the ball with his hands instead of his body on that target in the end zone. UNC isn’t exactly UGA as far as talent goes, so this game should tell us much about how the rest of his season will play out. I expect Roland to have a big game.
Roland has potential. He played well against UNC. However, the UGA DBs are much better than the UNC variety. The UGA DBs played the Clemp receivers very physically and broke up a lot of passes. Hopefully, Roland can play with sticky fingers and the UGA defenders will not pop the ball out of his hands like they did with the excellent group of receivers on Clemp's team.

Not to quibble too much, but it seemed to me that Roland also should not have attempted a dive on the pass. I looked pretty much on target and if he had kept his feet, he could have kept his head still and made the reception without diving.

Quote:

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds RBs vs. UGA’s Linebacker Core:

I saw so many poor pursuit angles, missed tackles, and botched plays by this group, I expect Davis to go off like a Roman candle on the Fourth of July. I know one game isn’t a large sample size, but UGA’s defense was abysmal. Clemson ran the same QB draw play with Boyd four times for two TDs. At one point, they ran it three times in a row and still got a TD. How can UGA let a team run the same play over and over again without stopping it? McDowell went off for 132 yards, averaging 6 a carry; he’s 5’9 180. . . . .
The UGA linebackers also did not seem as fast as I expected. They were slower than Tajh. I didn't think Tajh was so fast so I was suprised that they let him repeatedly get to the corner for critical first downs.

Was it the draw or a zone read that McDowell kept burning them?

I remember that dude against us last year. IMO, he is an upgrade from Bruce's cousin.

Quote:
USC’s O-line vs. UGA’s D-Line:

UGA runs a 3-4 which relies on the D-Line occupying blockers to let the LBs run free. This works well for teams that can find recruits with the requisite size to man the interior, most importantly a Nose Tackle(think Terrence Cody). Unfortunately for UGA, their Nose Tackle is smaller than every single one of USC’s starting offensive linemen. This means he can be blocked one on one preventing the interior logjam that allows 3-4 LBs to roam free and key in on the QB or RB.
UGA is going to scheme a plan to stop the Gamecocks running game and short passing game. Point one is going to be even more critical because the safeties will be involved in the UGA gameplan to stop our running. If they cannot stop the Gamecocks from running the ball consistently, it will be up to the UGA offense to outscore us, and they appear inconsistent with a poor pass blocking line. I like our chances if we can establish a running game. Hopefully, you are right.

Quote:
USC vs. UGA’s Crowd Noise:

USC doesn’t run much no-huddle, so crowd noise won’t have as large of an impact as it does against teams like UNC. USC needs to strike early to negate the crowd factor. If USC goes up by 10 at any point in the first half, expect the stadium to quiet down significantly. Once the crowd quiets down, home field advantage becomes moot.
The game is scheduled to start at the brutal 4:30 pm slot. If the heat and humidity is the same as last weekend, that will help suppress the crowd's ardor.

Spurrier vs. Grantham:

I am not impressed with Grantham. He could not make adjustments to the Clemp gameplan, and his players did not seem to have answers to stopping the Clemp running game.

I like our chances with the gray matter at the top in this matchup.

Whammy vs. Bobo:

We must stop the UGA running game. Whammy always makes that his first priority. (He also considers the screen game an extension of the running game.) Nothing fancy, but it is critical and I believe with our DL, he will deliver.

That means our DBs need to handle the UGA receivers. It sucks that Mitchell is out because he is a special receiver. However, UGA has some other guys that are good. Our DBs will need to play really well because they will have a lot of pressure on them. Which brings me to this key:

USC’s D-line vs. UGA’s O-Line:

Maybe Clempson's DL is just really good and way better than expected. That is a scary thought. They did get after it pretty good and played with a lot of aggression.

If our D can play with that intensity, we should dominate the trenches. Clowney and Sutton off the edges against the UGA tackles looks like something Bobo will be very worried about. If Murray gets D linemen in his face and hitting him, he gets that deer-in-the-headlights look and makes mistakes. Turnovers could be very helpful to the Gamecocks. Force Murray to make them, knock him out for good out of the Heisman contest, and most importantly, win.

With regard to the UGA running game, the key to stopping Gurley is to tackle him before he gets a head of steam. That means our DL and LBs needs to penetrate into the UGA backfield and make plays early.

Final Note

Maybe it is just me but it looks like the UGA conditioning is questionable. We have a great S&C coach. The UGA coach uses the old school methods. It is possible the UGA players may not have conditioned to the extent of our team. I am hoping this is true. If so, especially considering the 4:30 time for game start, we will have a very good chance of beating them on the road. Nothing demoralizes a crowd faster than realizing that the other team is more well conditioned than your own.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Murray will need to use extra bleach when washing his jersey.

To remove the green or the brown stains?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

good thread, but id disagree about bruce not being a traditional receiver in the sense of labeling him a gadget guy. he manned the x spot a good bit down the stretch of last season.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
USC’s D-line vs. UGA’s O-Line:

Maybe Clempson's DL is just really good and way better than expected. That is a scary thought. They did get after it pretty good and played with a lot of aggression.
I disagree. I looked up the players who got the sacks and rewatched the plays. All were a result of a breakdown in protection rather than incredible line play. The O-Lineman would pick the wrong assignment in pass protection allowing players to come in on a delayed blitz once they engaged the end. Had Murray looked to the left side of the field instead of the right like he's prone to do, he had an open receiver where they blitzed in the DB on the delay. We won't need to resort to such sneaky tactics, since our D-Line can just push you over.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
good thread, but id disagree about bruce not being a traditional receiver in the sense of labeling him a gadget guy. he manned the x spot a good bit down the stretch of last season.
He's too short to be a traditional receiver. He's more of a slot guy, but he doesn't run routes well enough to occupy that position. He's excellent at what he does, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying if you watch the routes he runs they're fairly simple, and when we run sneaky trick plays he's always the target.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

My biggest concern for us offensively is Connor being patient. He missed some big opportunities against UNC and there was no pressure on him because he was not patient. I think it was first game jitters and the coaches will stress this during practice this week. BUt he simply has to let plays develop and not tuck and run. Our receivers will get open and I expect our Oline to create time for our QB. Then the running game clicks and the offense fires on all cylinders.....
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

last year Taylor was the key to our win by closing down the run going away from JD. This year it will be Sutton who must shut down the run to the right which is the direction UGA likes to run. he must not go too far up field and let Gurley cut under him. if he can gum up that play we will be in good shape.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
ELCID14
Blue Chip

Male

ELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
My biggest concern for us offensively is Connor being patient. He missed some big opportunities against UNC and there was no pressure on him because he was not patient. I think it was first game jitters and the coaches will stress this during practice this week. BUt he simply has to let plays develop and not tuck and run. Our receivers will get open and I expect our Oline to create time for our QB. Then the running game clicks and the offense fires on all cylinders.....
One read then run Connor run.....please Connor, let Davis & Wilds run the ball and allow your receivers live up to their potential
Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCID14 View Post
One read then run Connor run.....please Connor, let Davis & Wilds run the ball and allow your receivers live up to their potential
tajh did pretty good against uga, I hope connor isn't scared to run when he can get the first down. just needs to get to the outside and use his speed instead of taking shots in the middle.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Great Article, Let me add one more Gamecocks have better debt. Gamecocks reserves vs Georgia reserves at QB, RB, OL, DL and DBs we are better.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Nice write up.

We stop Gurley, we win the game. It really is that simple. Murray can't beat us.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #18
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Nice write up.

We stop Gurley, we win the game. It really is that simple. Murray can't beat us.
I agree completely!! Really hoping JD has a field day against a weaker line and tears erin murray a new one
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
He's too short to be a traditional receiver. He's more of a slot guy, but he doesn't run routes well enough to occupy that position. He's excellent at what he does, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying if you watch the routes he runs they're fairly simple, and when we run sneaky trick plays he's always the target.
Well Spurrier tell me who you would put in there.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Swann showed me he can't tackle. The long TD to Watkins was a blown weak tackle. Whenever Swann covers Bruce, we need to get the ball to Bruce and let him manhandle Swann.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote