CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
doubledribble
Fight, win, kick a-- (1308)
The Gator Bowl wants (955)
CFN prediction for a (911)
Why I'm hopeful abou (907)
USC will upset Aubur (779)
A simple defensive l (754)
What happened to thi (687)
In-state QB talent (538)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (335)
Texas athletic director:
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
In-state QB talent
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Cann tipping plays?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Exclamation Cack's Toast of the Game: UNC

For those that have sent me PMs and page comments, I apologize, I was out of town on vacation and the house we stayed at didn't have wifi like I had hoped.

It's been a few days, so I may forget a few details here and there, but my pick has been the same since Thursday.

The first half we were full speed ahead on Offense, and although there's a lot of negative talk about the Defense, they were shutting the Tarheels down when it mattered.

The toast for the opening week is going to be one of those rare, more than 1 person toast, but I feel like these guys deserve a little love. Over the past ... however long I can remember ... years these guys have been the focal point of concern game in and game out and year in and year out. "If they can produce, we should win" is what everyone has said. This should be fairly obvious where I'm going with this.

CACK'S TOAST OF THE GAME FOR THE 2013 SEASON OPENING AGAINST THE TARHEELS OF NORTH CAROLINA IS ... THE OFFENSIVE LINE

Now, I know, some of you are going to come in and say "well we DID have a 50 pound advantage" or "they looked ok, but weren't holding blocks as long as they should" or "they're still not mean enough." All of these may be true, but sometimes you have to praise people for the great things they did do instead of tearing them down for the one or two things they missed.

On the opening drive, they opened up some nice holes for Mike Davis to pick up a quick first down. They then gave Shaw all the time in the world to hit the bomb to Shaq. Connor was just hanging out in the pocket all by himself with not a single Dlineman anywhere close to him.

On Davis' 75 yard run, Shell picked up the outside man to create the hole to start the run. If he goes another angle or wiffs at that block, it's a 0 yard pick up instead of a 75 yard TD.

On 4th and 2, Brandon Wilds is stopped at the line of scrimmage, but the Oline bands together behind him and pushes the pull nearly 10 yards from that point to pick up the first down. They also did the same on a play for Davis.

The holes for the running game were there, and Shaw/Thompson had time to pass all night long. We'd love for no Dlineman to ever get their hand on a QB and for every run to go 75 yards, but that doesn't happen. I thought the Oline played a GREAT game for week 1 and deserve some love for it.

Honorable Mentions:
Mike Davis - 100 yards + in the season opener, and he looked to be in mid season form. After watching the UGA/CU game, it SHOULD be 2 straight 100+ yard games for Davis. I can see this being a "Davis being Davis" post in the near future.

Connor Shaw - Everyone's issue with Shaw over his career has been the deep ball. The pass to Shaq in itself deserves some praise, because it was ON THE MONEY!!!!!

Elliot Fry - I'm not sure which team Carolin was, but I'm glad his jersey was garnet. Our kicking game is taking a MAJOR hit this year, but if Fry can get all 150 pounds into his kicks and just give us those 35-40 yard FGs when we need him to ... he could have a great life here.

Wide Receivers - Ellington was a little banged up and didn't play a lot of snaps? No problem, we'll just put in the next guy and not skip a beat. If there was anything to learn from Thursday night is was that Jr has this receiving corp on the right track. Shaq ran a PERFECT route for the first TD, and we saw what he can do once it's in his hands. With all the new numbers it was hard to realize who was catching the balls, and then remember who they were, but we'll just say great game for everyone here.

Defensive Back 7 - There was a lot of concern here leading into the season, and in game one, I think they held their own. A few misses here and there, but that's going to happen. They, like the Oline, played a great first game and will hopefully use this as a building block for the season.

EVERYONE RAISE A GLASS FOR THE SEASON OPENING TOAST OF THE GAME ... THE OFFENSIVE LINE ... HERE'S TO YOU BIG FELLAS

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Last edited by cack; 09-03-2013 at 09:54 AM.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: UNC

I think this the first time in a long time that the OL came out firing on all cylinders, usually a lot of mistakes and sacks in years past but they played very well. Also got to give praise to Coach Elliot what a line he has created.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
CockyCash: 200
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

cheers to my brothers in the trenches.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Finally!!! The oline gets some love! Deservedly so IMO. Good call, Cack!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Good pick. I agree. You made some great points.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Wonderful Post Cack !!! Also I would like to mention that our O line looks like they have heart this year and can compete at the highest level. I like the potential they have.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
For those that have sent me PMs and page comments, I apologize, I was out of town on vacation and the house we stayed at didn't have wifi like I had hoped.

It's been a few days, so I may forget a few details here and there, but my pick has been the same since Thursday.

The first half we were full speed ahead on Offense, and although there's a lot of negative talk about the Defense, they were shutting the Tarheels down when it mattered.

The toast for the opening week is going to be one of those rare, more than 1 person toast, but I feel like these guys deserve a little love. Over the past ... however long I can remember ... years these guys have been the focal point of concern game in and game out and year in and year out. "If they can produce, we should win" is what everyone has said. This should be fairly obvious where I'm going with this.

CACK'S TOAST OF THE GAME FOR THE 2013 SEASON OPENING AGAINST THE TARHEELS OF NORTH CAROLINA IS ... THE OFFENSIVE LINE

Now, I know, some of you are going to come in and say "well we DID have a 50 pound advantage" or "they looked ok, but weren't holding blocks as long as they should" or "they're still not mean enough." All of these may be true, but sometimes you have to praise people for the great things they did do instead of tearing them down for the one or two things they missed.

On the opening drive, they opened up some nice holes for Mike Davis to pick up a quick first down. They then gave Shaw all the time in the world to hit the bomb to Shaq. Connor was just hanging out in the pocket all by himself with not a single Dlineman anywhere close to him.

On Davis' 75 yard run, Shell picked up the outside man to create the hole to start the run. If he goes another angle or wiffs at that block, it's a 0 yard pick up instead of a 75 yard TD.

On 4th and 2, Brandon Wilds is stopped at the line of scrimmage, but the Oline bands together behind him and pushes the pull nearly 10 yards from that point to pick up the first down. They also did the same on a play for Davis.

The holes for the running game were there, and Shaw/Thompson had time to pass all night long. We'd love for no Dlineman to ever get their hand on a QB and for every run to go 75 yards, but that doesn't happen. I thought the Oline played a GREAT game for week 1 and deserve some love for it.

Honorable Mentions:
Mike Davis - 100 yards + in the season opener, and he looked to be in mid season form. After watching the UGA/CU game, it SHOULD be 2 straight 100+ yard games for Davis. I can see this being a "Davis being Davis" post in the near future.

Connor Shaw - Everyone's issue with Shaw over his career has been the deep ball. The pass to Shaw in itself deserves some praise, because it was ON THE MONEY!!!!!

Elliot Fry - I'm not sure which team Carolin was, but I'm glad his jersey was garnet. Our kicking game is taking a MAJOR hit this year, but if Fry can get all 150 pounds into his kicks and just give us those 35-40 yard FGs when we need him to ... he could have a great life here.

Wide Receivers - Ellington was a little banged up and didn't play a lot of snaps? No problem, we'll just put in the next guy and not skip a beat. If there was anything to learn from Thursday night is was that Jr has this receiving corp on the right track. Shaq ran a PERFECT route for the first TD, and we saw what he can do once it's in his hands. With all the new numbers it was hard to realize who was catching the balls, and then remember who they were, but we'll just say great game for everyone here.

Defensive Back 7 - There was a lot of concern here leading into the season, and in game one, I think they held their own. A few misses here and there, but that's going to happen. They, like the Oline, played a great first game and will hopefully use this as a building block for the season.

EVERYONE RAISE A GLASS FOR THE SEASON OPENING TOAST OF THE GAME ... THE OFFENSIVE LINE ... HERE'S TO YOU BIG FELLAS
This was my favorite play. This showed pure domination and I loved it!!!

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

The Big Uglies getting it done! HERE HERE
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
cheers to my brothers in the trenches.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Need to edit Shaw's line. You say 'The pass to Shaw . . .' you meant 'The pass to Shaq . . .'

Other than that, I agree. Another thing I noticed regarding the O-Line: On Dylan's play, it looked like an NFL pocket. Nicely spread out around him, no one even hinting at giving pressure. I'm wondering in Shaw looking down to scramble isn't getting him in more trouble than helping?
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

Have to agree Cack!! We all caught hell in fall camp worried about this unit, IMHO I believe practicing against a great defensive line has its perks, they may get pushed around a little by our own, but anyone would agree that would happen (in practice) against Clowney and Co. Excited to see where this offensive line will take us as opposed to OL in the past
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Need to edit Shaw's line. You say 'The pass to Shaw . . .' you meant 'The pass to Shaq . . .'

Other than that, I agree. Another thing I noticed regarding the O-Line: On Dylan's play, it looked like an NFL pocket. Nicely spread out around him, no one even hinting at giving pressure. I'm wondering in Shaw looking down to scramble isn't getting him in more trouble than helping?
He's had to do it for so long, that'll be a habit he'll have to work out. He has a clock in his head ticking ... he'll have to extend that clock if this Oline keeps playing the way it did.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote