CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
usc1
FanofCarolina1
kingofnerf
Travelin
Decommitment from Te (1137)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (876)
Cleveland Browns Hea (722)
Garcia and Clemsux T (702)
Four USC Basketball (370)
Need a dog kennel (310)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (242)
Bowl packages (206)
Former Gamecock root (200)
5 apps to turn your (200)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
Former Gamecock rooting f
looks like we have 2 OL r
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
QB Next Season?
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
2015 - Mark Fields
Cleveland Browns Headshot

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Shaw/Thompson Discussion Thread

This is the official thread for all discussion/articles/debate on the merits of Connor Shaw vs Dylan Thompson. Any other thread started will be deleted/locked.

This like all threads in the cockpit will be moderated and monitored (this isn't a vent thread in any way) and all rules will be enforced, please remember that players/family/coaches all read this website and understand that player bashing is not tolerated.

Please do your part and help us by reporting any posts that clearly break the rules of cockytalk.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw/Thompson Discussion Thread

with all of that out of the way I just want to say how awesome it is that our QBs support each other the way they do, I noticed on both of the big td passes in the first quarter the "other" qb was one of the first guys out there congratulating the qb that threw the pass, and they looked genuinely as excited as the guy who threw it.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
with all of that out of the way I just want to say how awesome it is that our QBs support each other the way they do, I noticed on both of the big td passes in the first quarter the "other" qb was one of the first guys out there congratulating the qb that threw the pass, and they looked genuinely as excited as the guy who threw it.
This. Both should play but we know who the man is up to this point.

Earlier someone mentioned a quote by Mark Richt that went something like "a quarterback can't win the game by himself, but he can sure lose it." That's why Shaw is our starter.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

I like both. Both of them are winners and thats all I care about. Dylan obviously has more of the arm but I just feel that Shaw can make more plays out of nothing. I like both point blank. I think Dylan should play a few more snaps, after a turnover put him in and go long ball!!

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
iEnvy_#7
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
iEnvy_#7 has hatched from the shell

I agree! It's awesome to see two QBs with great play making ability congratulating each other and supporting one another as a team. I have heard on several occasions that Spurrier plans on using both throughout the season, and I definitely see how that would benefit the team. We basically have two offenses! Two QBs and two running backs! It's great to be a Gamecock! Lets do this thing!!

Kid's a freak... he's the fastest kid alive!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

I don't think I've ever seen 2 guys on a team that compete for the same position work as well together as these 2 guys. It's truly a testament to our coaching staff, CS and DT's families and of course to the guys themselves.

It shows you what kind of people they are. Whats more impressive is the fact that they are open about their religious views and let people know that they are Christians. That's big for me personally.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
iEnvy_#7
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
iEnvy_#7 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen 2 guys on a team that compete for the same position work as well together as these 2 guys. It's truly a testament to our coaching staff, CS and DT's families and of course to the guys themselves.

It shows you what kind of people they are. Whats more impressive is the fact that they are open about their religious views and let people know that they are Christians. That's big for me personally.

Absolutely... it was the same way for Lattimore as well. It shows they have true character and faith in God to accomplish any goal! We can really do without all the typical attitudes like the Johnny Manziel incident

Kid's a freak... he's the fastest kid alive!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

This thread is a great idea, thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy_#7 View Post
Absolutely... it was the same way for Lattimore as well. It shows they have true character and faith in God to accomplish any goal! We can really do without all the typical attitudes like the Johnny Manziel incident
that's dumpster fire over there. If sumlin is able to keep that team together and Manziel out of trouble then he deserves a raise.

WINNING

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

I have one complaint about this thread. It's a few months late! I wish we could had this when the four or five threads that were popping up each day about this same thing. Then again, having all those threads did help the four people who kept posting in them get their post counts up, so I guess that was a good thing.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1097400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
This is the official thread for all discussion/articles/debate on the merits of Connor Shaw vs Dylan Thompson. Any other thread started will be deleted/locked.

This like all threads in the cockpit will be moderated and monitored (this isn't a vent thread in any way) and all rules will be enforced, please remember that players/family/coaches all read this website and understand that player bashing is not tolerated.

Please do your part and help us by reporting any posts that clearly break the rules of cockytalk.
Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully it will keep the discussion in one place instead of becoming part of most other threads.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

A thread on this topic was started today but locked quickly.

What is odd is that my final statement in my reply post (that wasn't in time to see the internet) just so happened to be the "reason" for deletion:

A lot of people will ignore any debate on the topic and simply reply with "Shaw is 18-3 as our starting QB and that's the bottom line!"

No, that isn't the bottom line. Those same people who say that will be here to criticize Shaw when he falls apart and makes the consistent mistakes he fails to correct.

What are those mistakes? Seems most people who know the game of football can detect them...and Spurrier has commented on them after multiple games in each season Shaw has led this team. For whatever reasons: he doesn't sit back long enough, he doesn't take time to check down on progression, and he has a knack to run out of the pocket quickly.

The real question is "why"? Is he scared of being hit while unprepared and forcing a turnover? Does he not know the playbook/route tree as second nature? Does he feel his feet are more of an advantage than our pass game? Who knows.

What is important is that we don't rely on Shaw's "ability to win" as a defense for his throne to start at QB. Remember, while that is a great starting record, we have more tools and talent on these past few Carolina teams than any before. I'm not saying a monkey could QB our teams and get 10-11 wins each year, but an average QB (which, I'm sorry- we haven't had elite QBs) can accomplish that. The defense, WR corp, RB corp, and coaching is all deeper than this program has ever seen.

I don't DISLIKE Shaw by any means. I think is he is more than capable as our starting QB. However, he does continue to make the same mistakes that set the team back...game after game and season after season. It's enough to win against the bulk of the SEC, but he makes the fundamental mistakes that make you wonder.

For the record, I am not saying Thompson is the answer...but I do think he deserves a chance at more playing time. From what we have seen, he is the more natural passer and has the ability to control the flow of the game- and his feet work isn't half bad either.

Anyhow, I am glad this discussion was brought back open. Thanks johnnyb.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I like both of them.

Order Of The Spur
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

What is odd is that my final statement in my reply post (that wasn't in time to see the internet) just so happened to be the "reason" for deletion:

A lot of people will ignore any debate on the topic and simply reply with "Shaw is 18-3 as our starting QB and that's the bottom line!"

No, that isn't the bottom line. Those same people who say that will be here to criticize Shaw when he falls apart and makes the consistent mistakes he fails to correct.

What are those mistakes? Seems most people who know the game of football can detect them...and Spurrier has commented on them after multiple games in each season Shaw has led this team. For whatever reasons: he doesn't sit back long enough, he doesn't take time to check down on progression, and he has a knack to run out of the pocket quickly.

The real question is "why"? Is he scared of being hit while unprepared and forcing a turnover? Does he not know the playbook/route tree as second nature? Does he feel his feet are more of an advantage than our pass game? Who knows.

What is important is that we don't rely on Shaw's "ability to win" as a defense for his throne to start at QB. Remember, while that is a great starting record, we have more tools and talent on these past few Carolina teams than any before. I'm not saying a monkey could QB our teams and get 10-11 wins each year, but an average QB (which, I'm sorry- we haven't had elite QBs) can accomplish that. The defense, WR corp, RB corp, and coaching is all deeper than this program has ever seen.

I don't DISLIKE Shaw by any means. I think is he is more than capable as our starting QB. However, he does continue to make the same mistakes that set the team back...game after game and season after season. It's enough to win against the bulk of the SEC, but he makes the fundamental mistakes that make you wonder.

For the record, I am not saying Thompson is the answer...but I do think he deserves a chance at more playing time. From what we have seen, he is the more natural passer and has the ability to control the flow of the game- and his feet work isn't half bad either.

shaw is 18-3 as a starter.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I really like both of them. Shaw needs this win this weekend though.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

No doubt DT is the better passing QB, but shaw adds another dimension to our running offense and that's why he is the starting qb. He's pretty good in my opinion im just as comfortable with CS as DT.

WINNING

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

The bottom line is that college fans are ignorant. Ignorant in that you don't have 95% of the knowledge needed to make the decisions that you "think you know" the answer to. You aren't in practice, you aren't in the conversations with the coaches, you don't know the game plan, and you don't know the play book. You are making decisions based off of such a limited amount of information.

To the poster above that says Dylan "deserves a chance at more playing time." Well, Steve Spurrier must not agree with you. Because Steve Spurrier had no plans to play Dylan on Thursday night.

You act in your post like SC wins in spite of Connor. I have read that sentiment a lot. And it is complete BS. The problem is that your perception is not the reality. We have won ball games because Connor scrambles and picks up six yards on a third down play in the second quarter. You don't think twice about it because it wasn't a big play in your mind. It was just one of a number of plays and it doesn't stand out. But it happens consistently with Connor and I can promise you that it has lead to us keeping enough drives alive that it has impacted the outcome of games.

Connor does tuck it and run too fast sometimes because it is his instinct. On the other hand, you have no idea if Connor maybe hasn't won us a game or two because he DIDN'T throw an interception or two by trying to be too aggressive with the ball. It is funny. Tennessee had the prototypical gunslinger in Tyler Bray and he almost got benched last year because Dooley said he threw it to the other team too much.

Connor has won us more games than you all realize. Dylan started and played the whole game against Clemson and did a great job winning in Death Valley. But we scored 27 points against possibly one of the worst defenses in the country. SC had just scored 38 points against Tennessee and 38 points against Arkansas. Teams with similar defenses to Clemson's. So you don't think Connor could have scored 27 points against Clemson's defense? I am sorry, but if you say that, you just aren't being objective.

Now, to finish, let me say this. If Spurrier came out tomorrow and said that Dylan was going to start, I would be very happy with that. Why? Because I know the coaches have that 95% of the information I was talking about early in my post. The part that we don't have. So I would be happy because I know Connor is a very good QB and I would know that Spurrier must really be seeing something in practice with Dylan to give him the start over Connor. But at this point, that hasn't happened.

But to the guy above that was pretty critical of Shaw. I just don't think you realize how much his scrambling ability and his ability to manage the game DOES LEAD TO WINS. Third downs are important and Connor has picked up a hell of a lot of them with his feet in that 18-3 record.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 09-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
No doubt DT is the better passing QB, but shaw adds another dimension to our running offense and that's why he is the starting qb. He's pretty good in my opinion im just as comfortable with CS as DT.
I don't think there is a clear difference in who is the better passer. I think Dylan takes more chances & throws down field more & gives the WRs chances to get it but as far as accuracy I think Connor is as good as any in college football right now & his numbers proves that. I think we have 2 very good passers but I do agree that Connor adds an additional attribute bc of his legs & being more mobile
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
shaw is 18-3 as a starter.
ha, this
Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #20
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I have one complaint about this thread. It's a few months late! I wish we could had this when the four or five threads that were popping up each day about this same thing. Then again, having all those threads did help the four people who kept posting in them get their post counts up, so I guess that was a good thing.
not only three to four a day, but it seemed like every thread got highjacked by the same four people who wanted to discuss this.