CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
WeStillOwnUSC
Tolley
SwampFox
GamecockGuardsman
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
kingofnerf
TN game weather (1131)
Who is your favorite (884)
Marvel releases movi (408)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (401)
Aliens Are Real (401)
FSU vs. Louisville (310)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (254)
Need a ride tomorrow (176)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (156)
Talking Animals (120)
TN game weather
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Cavs vs. Bulls
Interesting quotes from D
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Uniforms for Tenn
Tennessee - South Carolin
Lattimore to play after S
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Georgia's failed goal line possession in 3rd quarter..

When UGA got into 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line, I noticed that the Clemson defenders really bunched up on the right side several seconds before the snap. Aaron was under center and the defenders moved into that position in plenty of time for him to check out of a play.

This is the play where they ran the fullback right up the right side and right into all of those Clemson defenders.

I am attaching a snapshot from about two seconds before the ball was snapped.

So here are my questions for those who played football at a high level.

Should Aaron have definitely checked to a different play? Or is it reasonable to have expected to have still had success with this play considering UGA was also loaded up on the right side?

I am sure UGA felt like they could push them back and a SEC team should always feel that way overall. But they also just ran DIRECTLY into where Clemson was already setting up camp.

Just seems to me like that wasn't the smartest play call given the Clemson defensive look, but that is why I am asking. I didn't play high school or college football so I don't know.
Attached Images

cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
iEnvy_#7
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
iEnvy_#7 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Georgia's failed goal line possession in 3rd quarter..

I didn't play High School or College Football either, and I must say the play calling in that game really stunk. I sure hope they call plays like that this saturday haha

But seriously... I saw way too many times where they ran it up the middle and had NO success (something ole Lou used to do). The only reason I could think that Mark Richt could call such plays is because of pride. Maybe he thought that eventually he could break through and make some plays... but if they were shutting the run down, wouldn't he throw the ball instead?! After all, Aaron Murray is a Pocket Passer, is he not?

Kid's a freak... he's the fastest kid alive!
iEnvy_#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I didn't play after high school. Still I would have checked into a trap left or simply a toss to the back and let him pick his hole or go outside. With a high quality back you have to have the confidence in him to let him see the field and make the choice.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Yancey, you were talking about a toss sweep. Look at this snapshot from right before Aaron hands the ball off. Those three Clemson defenders are rushing straight into where the fullback is heading.

I know the DE could always go laterally and maybe catch Gurley, but look at all of the room he would have on this play on a sweep.

Again, I know it is easy to second guess things after a play. But I just remember watching this in real time and seeing how those three defenders completely got in that gap well before the snap. I was just surprised that they didn't change the play. But I am not an expert.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Yancey, you were talking about a toss sweep. Look at this snapshot from right before Aaron hands the ball off. Those three Clemson defenders are rushing straight into where the fullback is heading.

I know the DE could always go laterally and maybe catch Gurley, but look at all of the room he would have on this play on a sweep.

Again, I know it is easy to second guess things after a play. But I just remember watching this in real time and seeing how those three defenders completely got in that gap well before the snap. I was just surprised that they didn't change the play. But I am not an expert.
The only problem with going outside on that play and not making in to the end zone is that you would have a bad angle for a FG. That's one reason for going straight ahead. Still with that defensive set I think that pulling the right guard or tackle to lead a play wide left would have made more sense.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

It should have been checked by murray. The problem is in high profile games murray loses his cool and becomes a deer in the head lights.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

It was probably Bobo and not Richt that called the play. That FB of theirs was a monster but the play was dead on arrival.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

He should have known Venable would call run blitzes and tried a roll out and pass to the tight end on at least one of the plays.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Wasn't this basically set up b/c the CU player horse-collared the UGA WR to prvent him from scoring?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Joe
Recruit

Male

Joe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his claws

I didnt watch the game but just from this snapshot looks like Clemson was ripe for play action pass to the tight end sorta like we do with busta a lot.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

When i played, we would line up a wideout, fake to the rb who would sell it into the pile, and throw a quick screen down the line to the wideout, who was in a cut back route towardthe tight end. Rarely did we not get 6 out of this from that close. That was high school, though.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Georgia's failed goal line possession in 3rd quarter..

I thought Bobo blew that game for UGA or whoever does the offensive play-calling. There were a few times where I was like wtf did you just run that play for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Sigh...we ran 2 Freaking sweeps all night then stopped 1 went 75 yards then 1 went 15 Bobo pulled a Bobo
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

CockyCash: 200
purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

This is where if it were us shaw would look at the sideline and change the play, but then after we audibled the defense would also. This is why I wish sos would let shaw call his own audibles at the line.
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Had they blocked the NG I think the play would have worked. He got into the backfield and blow it up.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCox View Post
Had they blocked the NG I think the play would have worked. He got into the backfield and blow it up.
Actually, this is not what happened. No disrespect intended, just wanted to clarify. The nose guard was blocked down to the ground. In fact, you can't even really see the NG in this screen shot because he is under the pile.

You can see that the Clemson player that is about to hit the fullback is #48. That is one of the three defenders that was lined up in the gap before the play. In fact, all three of the guys that are closest to the fullback are the three guys that lined up there before the snap.

#43 was sent ahead of the fullback and you can see him trying to block.

So basically UGA called a play where they thought one person was going to block three guys. I know it is difficult to always pick this stuff up in real time and I am usually the first person to hate arm chair coaches. But I remember thinking this was crazy even in real time. Those Clemson defenders were there in PLENTY of time to check to a different play.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Sigh...we ran 2 Freaking sweeps all night then stopped 1 went 75 yards then 1 went 15 Bobo pulled a Bobo
Yeah I noticed in the USC vs. UGA game last year that you guys ran a run to the outside and got a good chunk of yards early in the game and then just stopped running that play and would get stuffed up the middle on the other runs, questionable playcalling.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

NM

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
CU_Tigers4Life
Recruit

Male

CU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervousCU_Tigers4Life is making other chickens nervous

I personally thought it was a brilliant call......Nearly as good as Les Miles calling 3 straight passes on the last drive of the Chickie Bowl....Some of the SEC Cordinators think that just because you can put a line full of 350 asses on the line you can just push anyone off and out power a non SEC Team....To South Carolina's credit, Spurrier and his stuff doesn't coach that way and makes great adjustments.
CU_Tigers4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

They probably ran it because the fullback was killing Clemson.
But they even said they give Murray multiple plays...he then reads, and decides which play is best (I think it was done to counteract crowd noise).

Murray should've seen they were overloading where the play is going...I don't care how big your guys are...if they have more guys in the spot where you are trying to go than blockers, it isn't going to work.

I really thought they would fake up the middle and pitch to Gurley on the outside, because Clemson DB and LB had shown they couldn't handle him.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote