CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
ertman420
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
RGHoskins
spareparts
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
ESPN article on Clow (1105)
Clemson Georgia Game (857)
Mangus now coaching (839)
Can Tennessee get to (617)
Chick Redefines the (377)
2 Crazy things (322)
The Bama series (307)
Spread vs. aTm (294)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (242)
Truly Inspiring (238)
2015 - Davon Durant
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2 Crazy things
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

View Poll Results: Saturday in Athens against UGA, what will Connor Shaw's impact be to the outcome?
Yes, Shaw will make a play (by running or passing) that will help Carolina win. 104 86.67%
No, Shaw will make a bonehead play that will keep Carolina from getting a win. 2 1.67%
Neither, Shaw won't have a huge impact AND/OR Thompson will be QB late in the game. 14 11.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit
Default Connor Shaw's Impact vs UGA

Stating the obvious, Connor Shaw has not had a signature winning moment on the road against the better SEC teams he has faced.

We all know his dual-threat ability is great asset...as long as Shaw takes care of the ball and doesn't have silly turnovers. His lack of progress in the passing game centers around locking in on his primary receiver and not getting his eyes (and the ball) to the 2nd or 3rd read in the pattern...which leads to him tucking the ball and scrambling for yards.

That being said, Shaw's a senior, and some of my Gamecock friends have a feeling he's going to make a play (either running or passing) that will have a big positive impact on getting Carolina the win in Athens on Saturday.

IMO - Saturday is Shaw's time to shine on the road for Gamecock Nation.

So, the question is: Will Shaw be the hero or the goat...or will his play not significantly determine the outcome of the UGA game?

GO COCKS!!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

CockyCash: 200
purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock
Default Re: Connor Shaw's Impact vs UGA

I feel like our rushing attack and stopping their rushing attack are the biggest factors in the game.
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Vote all you'd like but just a reminder. .. There is a thread stuck to the
top of this forum to discuss Shaw and/or Thompson.

The FIRST post made in this thread that starts a Shaw / Thompson debate
will cause the thread to be deleted.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Statistically he probably won't have the most impressive game.
I see him finishing with about 60 yards rushing and 200 passing yards.

But he won't make mistakes and will let Davis and Wilds run.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Either QB is capable of beating Jawja.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

I picked the first option i think he will have an average day. BUT will make a big play with either his arm or leg that will remember as a key turning point. Ive been feeling better abt this game recently.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 520
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Statistically he probably won't have the most impressive game.
I see him finishing with about 60 yards rushing and 200 passing yards.

But he won't make mistakes and will let Davis and Wilds run.
statistically 200 passing and 60 rushing is damn good for Shaw on the road in a hostile SEC environment

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
statistically 200 passing and 60 rushing is damn good for Shaw on the road in a hostile SEC environment
Those stats are quite pedestrian, regardless of venue.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Those stats are quite pedestrian, regardless of venue.
Ok, so lets go with some potential "pedestrian" stats and then the outcome of those stats...

200 yards passing with 60% completion ratio
60 yards rushing
No turnovers.

I am willing to bet my house that if we have those "pedestrian" stats on Saturday that we come away with a win.

At the end of the day, all I care about is coming out with a W.

I would bet my house that if you told Steve Spurrier RIGHT NOW that he could get the stats above on Saturday, he would take them and run. Why do I feel that way? Because that would give us about 400 yards of total offense without having any turnovers. We get 400 yards of offense (assuming the running backs rush for about 140 combined) and don't give UGA turnovers and we win.

SC is a good enough team now that they don't lose unless they beat themselves. If we avoid turnovers on Saturday, we win. Connor doesn't have to throw for 300 yards. He doesn't need to throw for 300 yards.

The two games we lost last year on the road? We didn't lose because of Connor "tucking it and running". We didn't lose because he didn't throw for 300 yards. We lost them because of turnovers. Connor threw two interceptions against LSU (one was key) and the entire Florida game was a turnover.

That is the reason why Connor doesn't bother me that bad when he gets sacked or holds onto it that long. Our defense is good enough and our coaching is good enough that we aren't going to lose games if we are holding on to the ball.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

his play will definitely significantly determine the outcome. we need to stay likely within character, stay balanced, keep the running backs involved and take a few shots over the top of the defense when they present themselves.
last year he only threw 10 passes, thats not going to happen unless we jump out on them early like we did last year. the key is going to be patience, we cant put too much on the qb's shoulders no matter who is in there.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

I believe Shaw has 'it'...with that being said; hopefully a repeat of the performance at UF last year won't happen this weekend.
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
In comparison to today's offenses, it is a good day.

Now if Shaw goes off, rushes for 100 and passes for 300, then that is phenomenal.

His contribution won't be in the stat book...leadership, staying composed and keeping the younger players focused.
All he needs to do is just get the ball to our playmakers and pick his spots...no need to force things when you have two solid tailbacks, solid WR and two freak athlete TEs (I think Rory plays Saturday...I actually Adams can have a breakout game).
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Ok, so lets go with some potential "pedestrian" stats and then the outcome of those stats...

200 yards passing with 60% completion ratio
60 yards rushing
No turnovers.

I am willing to bet my house that if we have those "pedestrian" stats on Saturday that we come away with a win.

At the end of the day, all I care about is coming out with a W.

I would bet my house that if you told Steve Spurrier RIGHT NOW that he could get the stats above on Saturday, he would take them and run. Why do I feel that way? Because that would give us about 400 yards of total offense without having any turnovers. We get 400 yards of offense (assuming the running backs rush for about 140 combined) and don't give UGA turnovers and we win.

SC is a good enough team now that they don't lose unless they beat themselves. If we avoid turnovers on Saturday, we win. Connor doesn't have to throw for 300 yards. He doesn't need to throw for 300 yards.

The two games we lost last year on the road? We didn't lose because of Connor "tucking it and running". We didn't lose because he didn't throw for 300 yards. We lost them because of turnovers. Connor threw two interceptions against LSU (one was key) and the entire Florida game was a turnover.

That is the reason why Connor doesn't bother me that bad when he gets sacked or holds onto it that long. Our defense is good enough and our coaching is good enough that we aren't going to lose games if we are holding on to the ball.
I agree with your points.
Turnovers will be key.
Which is why I say Shaw's importance won't necessarily be in the boxscore (though turnovers show up in the box).
If Connor just plays within the system...feeds the backs, gets the ball in the hands of our fast WR and starts utilizing the TEs, USC should win.

If he makes good decisions and makes no TOs, that will be huge.
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
CockyFighter
Tater Hater

Male

CockyFighter has hatched from the shell

Last year, Shaw had 162 passing yards and 78 rushing yards against UGA. He also had 3 touchdowns. I'd say that those stats were quite effective.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322802579
CockyFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Connor will be moving the chains all afternoon Saturday by throwing, running and escaping pressure. A big shot over the top will put it away. And I agree with Rooster, Busta will have a big day
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

Shaw had Georgia so confused last year, yeah I know we were at home. I don't see any reason why he can't perform again at a high level. We hang around especially with a lead that crowd will all but be non-existent.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

What will decide this game?

1. Turnovers - Always the key component of a game. In our four losses in the past two seasons, SC had 14 turnovers. That is over 3 turnovers a game. We lost the turnover battle in those games.

2. How well we stop the run vs Georgia. Last year, we lost to LSU because we couldn't get off the field on defense. LSU rushed for 258 yards. Sure, there are always going to be other factors (our 2 interceptions were important), but at the end of the day, we couldn't get LSU off the field. Two years ago against Auburn, everyone blames that game on Garcia. He deserves a ton of the blame. But people forget that Auburn ran the ball 60 something times and rushed for 250 yards. We couldn't get Auburn off the field. I know we stopped UGA last year and that was huge. We need to do it again this year. Holding UGA to under 200 yards of rushing will be HUGE!
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
In comparison to today's offenses, it is a good day.

Now if Shaw goes off, rushes for 100 and passes for 300, then that is phenomenal.

His contribution won't be in the stat book...leadership, staying composed and keeping the younger players focused.
All he needs to do is just get the ball to our playmakers and pick his spots...no need to force things when you have two solid tailbacks, solid WR and two freak athlete TEs (I think Rory plays Saturday...I actually Adams can have a breakout game).
^
Post of the Early Football season right here !
Shaw knows this. Connor knows he is not going to get drafted as an
NFL QB, but he knows that Spurrier has the confidence in him to win at
this level, and his whole mindset is to do just that...AND, his career
record shows that he does that better than any other QB we've had in
the history of this program. .... And to do that, he just does what
Roosterboy stated right here. Just Run the Offense, and give the guys
who are supposed to support you and do their jobs the ball. His stats aren't
nearly as important as his job to move the offense is. Occasionally, he'll
have those 280/300 yard passing games, and above two TD passes
games, but he's at his best when he just gets average numbers rushing
and throwing and his team mates are the guys picking up the big third
downs, or the large rushing, receiving totals. ... Do This again this weekend,
avoid mistakes and turnovers and we're coming home Saturday night 2-0
Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

Conner is a better QB than T.Boyd .We have a decent receiver corp, RB are out to prove they can fill Marcus` shoes.Our defense is quite capable ,Sit back ,enjoy the ride at times it will breathless like a ride at disney. Can your heart take it? Hope we have GREAT crowd of LOUD GC FANS.
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

I think Shaw will miss too many open teamates. Unless he plays like Garcia vs. Bama (which obvously was at home) or someone comes in to run the offense like its supposed to (40+ pts against anybody) to, I think Georgia wins it.

Hope I'm wrong but after last week watching the sameoldsameold from Shaw (leaving pts on the board and running when he should throw), I ain't confident.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote