CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
A. Pilgrim
gadeneer1986
doubledribble
B-G
Latt7more
Lonnie
Why is everyone anti (2028)
How did we not make (1149)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (1028)
Miss St. defense (941)
Busta out indefinite (878)
SOS says his next st (764)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (665)
Our Road Upset Wins (506)
Why is everyone anticipat
Our Road Upset Wins
Lattimore to play after S
Busta out indefinitely.
No easy road for our offe
SEC Football Legend: Shel
Miss St. defense
Media tabs South Carolina
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
To ANYONE complaining abo

Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Impressiveness of our defensive line...

All we have heard all week is crap about our defense (Clowney) being tired and out of shape.

I thought this was interesting.

UNC gave up 11 sacks all of last year. That is less than one sack per game. They ranked as one of the top teams in the country for sacks allowed.

Even though it wasn't Clowney, we sacked Renner 3 times last Thursday night. While it is only one game, UNC now ranks near the bottom of the stats in sacks allowed.

This is impressive in its own right, but it is really even more impressive than many may think because of the following.

First, UNC, and every other team, absolutely has to game plan for our defensive line. Coaches tell you that they have to plan for our defensive line.
So even with UNC making a concerted effort to get rid of the ball quicker and to avoid putting Renner in situations to get sacked, he was still sacked 3 times which is more than 3x the number they usually give up.

Next, we didn't blitz at all against UNC. I listened to UNC's offensive coordinators post game comments and he said that we never sent a blitz.

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Especially for a "tired" defense that looked out of shape according to the media.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit
Default Re: Impressiveness of our defensive line...

Could care less about the media, all i want to see is W's and spurriers jabs.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

True, but UNC did have, I believe, three new o-linemen playing Thursday. Two of which were freshmen. They're going to give up more sacks this year compared to last year.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
Could care less about the media, all i want to see is W's and spurriers jabs.
So, evidently you do care a little of what the media thinks, right? *Couldn't care less lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
True, but UNC did have, I believe, three new o-linemen playing Thursday. Two of which were freshmen. They're going to give up more sacks this year compared to last year.
o line man have nothing to do with why Renner didn't give up sacks. He was tucking and running or throwing no later that 2.5 sec after is was snapped any time.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
o line man have nothing to do with why Renner didn't give up sacks. He was tucking and running or throwing no later that 2.5 sec after is was snapped any time.
Renner was dropping back more later in the game.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
iEnvy_#7
Walk On

Male

iEnvy_#7 has hatched from the shell

Oh man... the media really drove me crazy with all the jabs they took at Clowney and his conditioning. I read an article today from a GA newspaper that stated their coaches aren't buying into Clowney's "lack of conditioning". And neither am I.

Whether he was hot, sick or what, you know he has been watching ESPN exploiting that UNC game and he is going to go into UGA one mad dude. I'd hate to be Aaron Murray lol

Kid's a freak... he's the fastest kid alive!
iEnvy_#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Our d-line did not have the type of game I expected them to have against that o-line, especially the interior guys. I didn't expect 5 sacks, but I did expect penetration and disruption. We got it from the ends, but not in the middle.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy_#7
Oh man... the media really drove me crazy with all the jabs they took at Clowney and his conditioning. I read an article today from a GA newspaper that stated their coaches aren't buying into Clowney's "lack of conditioning". And neither am I.

Whether he was hot, sick or what, you know he has been watching ESPN exploiting that UNC game and he is going to go into UGA one mad dude. I'd hate to be Aaron Murray lol
Not to mention, he's had good games versus georgia. He likes throwing Murray around

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Our d-line did not have the type of game I expected them to have against that o-line, especially the interior guys. I didn't expect 5 sacks, but I did expect penetration and disruption. We got it from the ends, but not in the middle.
I disagree. The interior guys had a lot of penetration and disruption. All three sacks were by DT's, with the exception of Mason Harris who helped Griffin.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

For our defensive line against a smaller, weaker line two words come to mind:

Statement Game.
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #12
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I was impressed that when they got inside the ten. We shut down the run everytime.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

How much did Quarles play? We rotated a lot of guys....played TR FR Griffin....some of the DTs looked slow compared to guys like MI6, T-Rob, Byron Jerdeau, etc.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
How much did Quarles play? We rotated a lot of guys....played TR FR Griffin....some of the DTs looked slow compared to guys like MI6, T-Rob, Byron Jerdeau, etc.
Quarles didn't play the first half and began to rotate in the 3rd quarter.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Funny because spurrier and fedora both said most of our pressure came from the interior. On another note. Darius English is gonna be beast. A few days ago there was a thread on who our big name successors were on defense. Brinkley norwood matthews ingram clowney ect. English will be the next name
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

My impression of the D/Line:

Simply go back and look at every opening game we've played in the last
decade, and at how "average" we looked in the trenches, and then look
at every second / third game of the season for the last decade and you'll
understand why I don't really care one way or other about what the media
is saying about Clowney or our line.
I have a VERY Strong feeling Jadeveon Clowney will play one of , if not
THE best game of his career at USC This weekend. If that happens, it
will also open up the play of the rest of the D/Line.

You can not judge any part of the team based on the play during the first
game of the season, no more than you can accurately tell where teams
rank nationally after game one. The SEC Title, the Heisman Trophy and
your final Ranking is not determined in week one.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Renner was dropping back more later in the game.
Even so he still wasn't going to take a sack easily. He sits in the shot gun where he can see all the pass rushers, if anyone get's close he chucks it.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
All we have heard all week is crap about our defense (Clowney) being tired and out of shape.

I thought this was interesting.

UNC gave up 11 sacks all of last year. That is less than one sack per game. They ranked as one of the top teams in the country for sacks allowed.

Even though it wasn't Clowney, we sacked Renner 3 times last Thursday night. While it is only one game, UNC now ranks near the bottom of the stats in sacks allowed.

This is impressive in its own right, but it is really even more impressive than many may think because of the following.

First, UNC, and every other team, absolutely has to game plan for our defensive line. Coaches tell you that they have to plan for our defensive line.
So even with UNC making a concerted effort to get rid of the ball quicker and to avoid putting Renner in situations to get sacked, he was still sacked 3 times which is more than 3x the number they usually give up.

Next, we didn't blitz at all against UNC. I listened to UNC's offensive coordinators post game comments and he said that we never sent a blitz.

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Especially for a "tired" defense that looked out of shape according to the media.
Before the game I said we probably wouldn't have more than one sack. This team was like the ECU team we played in Charlotte when we had Melvin, Clowney, DT, et al. We did not record a single sack that game. You can't look at the sack or TFL stats. You have to look at the overall points and total yards. We did better than I expected honestly. Why isn't everyone ragging on the Clempson D? They were worse than us. OUr D greatly influenced the game and forced UNC to run plays that had little chance of success. I actually felt good about our D effort.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

DOMINATION !
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Clowney almost had another sack near the end of the game, and we took Renner down a few times after he barely made it back to the LOS. We did pretty well. They only had 1 solid drive, which was extended by a bogus face mask penalty.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote