CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ReadR00ster
A. Pilgrim
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
PageUSC
taylorssc
thekob
Spurticus
4Runner
Juco QBs? (2058)
How do you want Aubu (1722)
Auburn/USC point spr (1681)
If the Head Ball Coa (1136)
Whenever I Get Depre (827)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (671)
To ANYONE complainin (655)
Does South Carolina (619)
Tennessee Game Time (466)
Peyton Manning break (290)
To ANYONE complaining abo
Auburn/USC point spread
Final 4 Predictions
How do you want Auburn to
Does South Carolina still
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Tennessee kickoff announc
CockyTalk Football Pickem
If the Head Ball Coach re
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit
Default Staley continually raised the bar .

Nice article by Michelle Voepel .

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...mith-hall-fame
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: Staley continually raised the bar .

And here's another

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Dawn Staley has something new to entice women's basketball players this fall -- her Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame trophy.

Staley returned Monday from a weekend of celebrations and ceremonies in Springfield, Mass., where she was inducted along with 11 other basketball greats. She sat next to her trophy at South Carolina's arena, saying it will eventually end up in her office.

"That's where the recruits will see it," she said with a grin.

Staley was humbled by the honor and hopes she's set an example for young women looking to achieve big things in basketball.

"I hope little girls will approach the game like I did," she said. "I didn't cut corners. It was just a process for me where I was living out my passion."

Staley hopes several of those type of teenagers grow up to play college basketball for her Gamecocks, where she'll start her sixth season this fall. South Carolina won 25 games each of the past two years and reached back-to-back NCAA tournaments for the first time since the 2002 and 2003 seasons. The Gamecocks' 11-5 mark in the Southeastern Conference also was the school's best-ever league showing.

Staley's got the bar set even higher down the road -- she's turned down coaching overtures from Ohio State and her alma mater Virginia for their vacancies the past two years -- and told her South Carolina players in her hall induction speech Sunday night that if they stuck with her they'd eventually become national champions.

"That's right, I said it," Staley said Monday. "I put it out there."

Then again, reaching high goals are why Staley was inducted into the hall in the first place. She was the national player of the year out of Philadelphia's Dobbins Tech high school. She played her college ball at Virginia, where she played in three Final Fours and was twice the Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year.

She went on to star in both the ABL and WNBA. She won gold with the U.S. Olympic women's basketball team in 1996, 2000 and 2004. That final time as a player, Staley was honored as the America flag bearer at the Athens Games' opening ceremonies and keeps a framed photo of the moment in her South Carolina office.

She got her head coaching start in her home town, at Temple, before moving on to South Carolina after the 2007-08 season. Staley has led South Carolina on a steady climb up in the SEC ever since.

Staley went off recruiting soon after returning to her office. She doesn't plan to act differently as a hall member (one of just 15 female players in the hall), but understands the impact it will have.

"It just adds instant credibility," she said.

It's been a busy offseason for Staley. Last month, she toured several African nations alongside President Clinton and daughter Chelsea as part of a delegation put together by the Clinton Foundation. Staley said she was overwhelmed by the grace of African nationals who continually gave of themselves to strangers despite their own need.

Staley says she learned things on the trip that will make her a better coach.

The most difficult thing for Staley about the hall of fame was the 15-minute speech. Staley is never one to dwell on things, positive or negative, and does not like talking about her career. She said the induction ceremony, though, gave her a chance to reflect on what she'd done and all those who helped her get there.

"As athletes, we're confident people. We want to think that we kind of did this thing alone," she said. "But you can't become who you become (alone) in a team sport."
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
warriorcock
Recruit

Male

warriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his claws

We are so very, very fortunate to have Dawn here as our women's coach. I think (hope) everyone realizes this and comes out and supports our team. As much as Dawn has improved our program already, we are at the threshold of something truly big here. With Dawn's superlative resume (Hall of Famer and the gold medals), about the only thing she hasn't achieved yet as a player/coach is a championship. I know I for one am not betting against her. Go Lady G's!
warriorcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Odd that this was moved to this forum . Is it not Gamecock related ? Dawn still coaches here, doesn't she ?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Why was this moved from Fowl Shots?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Odd that this was moved to this forum . Is it not Gamecock related ? Dawn still coaches here, doesn't she ?
Yes, this is also gamecock sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
Why was this moved from Fowl Shots?
because at this point in time womens sports are part of "other gamecock sports"

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Yes, this is also gamecock sports

because at this point in time womens sports are part of "other gamecock sports"
All I ask is be consistent . There are several threads about USC women's basketball on fowl shots now (some started by me) . I was under the impression that was where they were supposed to be posted .
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I love Dawn.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
All I ask is be consistent . There are several threads about USC women's basketball on fowl shots now (some started by me) . I was under the impression that was where they were supposed to be posted .
Went ahead and moved all of the threads with the last post in 2013 that were related to the lady gamecock basketball team into this forum. We are discussing starting a subforum in the fowl shots forum for the discussion of the lady gamecock basketball team, however until that point please start all new threads related to them in the "other gamecock sports" forum

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm the one who moved it. I'm new at this mod thing, I hadn't noticed that women's basketball threads had started becoming regular in Fowl Shots. I've been here a long time and this is where I had always put anything to do with women's sports. If the older mods have been leaving women's basketball I had not noticed so that is why you may notice inconsistency. Like Johnny said we have discussed adding women's basketball sub forum to fowl shots because of how popular it has become.

On topic of the thread though, I think it's awesome that we have Coach Staley, I will admit when she was first hired I wasn't excited that we were spending that much money on a Women's Basketball coach, but I will say I have changed my tune. She brings such an exciting brand of ball and is such a great ambassador for the University I couldn't be happier. Congratulations to her on the HOF. I'm hoping by the time she leaves here she will be a lock for the Gamecock HOF and on track to get her second induction as a coach to go with her player induction.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

Women's sports are usually put in here because they don't fall into any other forum. Women's basketball is Gamecock basketball. Put in Fowl Shots so that news about the team gets the attention it deserves.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Women's sports are usually put in here because they don't fall into any other forum. Women's basketball is Gamecock basketball. Put in Fowl Shots so that news about the team gets the attention it deserves.
Agreed.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

I know all last year the posts for the women's team were in Fowl Shots. I think we should leave it like that. I don't like subforums on the board because they seem to disappear. I forget about the Carolina Eats subforum in the water cooler most of the time.

If the purpose of Fowl Shots is to discuss Carolina Basketball, both of our basketball teams should be there. There are many of us who follow the WBB on this board. If anyone doesn't realize how popular the team has become, go catch one of their games at the CLA and you will leave a fan. I'm a huge basketball fan in general and it is just easier to visit Fowl Shots and get info on both of our teams at the same time.

Coach Staley is the reason why this program has turned around and is on the verge of winning a national title. We are so lucky to have her on the Gamecock sideline. Congrats to her on being inducted in the HOF.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Coach Russ
Walk On

Male

Coach Russ is sharpening his clawsCoach Russ is sharpening his clawsCoach Russ is sharpening his clawsCoach Russ is sharpening his clawsCoach Russ is sharpening his claws
Default Bianca loves Coach Staley

My God-Daughter Bianca Cuevas has officially signed out the dotted line to attend USC. Wish I could show video......Thanks Coach Staley. I had selfish reasons for wanting her in Columbia. My family lives in Sumter & throughout S.C.. and Coach Dawn Staley was one helluva PG in her day. I know she will be the coach she needs.

To all those in NY and elsewhere who wanted her at Ky., Ole Miss, Tenn, etc.....sorry,

Russ-
Coach Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Default Re: Bianca loves Coach Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Russ View Post
My God-Daughter Bianca Cuevas has officially signed out the dotted line to attend USC. Wish I could show video......Thanks Coach Staley. I had selfish reasons for wanting her in Columbia. My family lives in Sumter & throughout S.C.. and Coach Dawn Staley was one helluva PG in her day. I know she will be the coach she needs.

To all those in NY and elsewhere who wanted her at Ky., Ole Miss, Tenn, etc.....sorry,

Russ-
Looking forward to watching her develop .
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
warriorcock
Recruit

Male

warriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his clawswarriorcock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Russ View Post

Russ-
Welcome Russ, please post often! Congrats, you must be so proud of Bianca. Dawn is building something special here, and we are thrilled Bianca has decided to join Gamecock Nation. As an elite 5* PG, Bianca cannot play for a better coach to develop her game than Dawn Staley. And it's always great to have family here to support her as well. Welcome Bianca!
warriorcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcock View Post
Welcome Russ, please post often! Congrats, you must be so proud of Bianca. Dawn is building something special here, and we are thrilled Bianca has decided to join Gamecock Nation. As an elite 5* PG, Bianca cannot play for a better coach to develop her game than Dawn Staley. And it's always great to have family here to support her as well. Welcome Bianca!
Rings of truth and well said, warriorcock.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote