CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
pitchcock
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
Busta out indefinite (1994)
SOS says his next st (1673)
Our Road Upset Wins (1532)
CBSSports SEC predic (810)
Our Defense? (663)
No easy road for our (653)
Roll call for Auburn (593)
University of Buffal (519)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (301)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
SOS says his next stop is
Rest of the season predic
Does South Carolina still
CFN prediction for auburn
2016 - Issac Nauta
Roll call for Auburn
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Our Defense?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
SteveWalsh4Canes
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
SteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudly
Default Are Ward's days numbered or am I reading too much into this?

When SOS said that he wasn't happy with the defensive performance and that he would make some "suggestions" to the Def. Coordinator to "help him out", AND that he would make sure that the Cocks defense didn't just "stand around out there" like they did on Saturday...well....is that not kinda a scathing indictment of his DC? I mean, anytime a HC (especially one who knows nothing about defense) talks about "helping out" his DC by making a few "suggestions" to him and then implies that the defense did nothing but "stand around out there", I would say that the DC's days might be numbered. Do any of ya'll agree or am I reading too much into things?!

Last edited by SteveWalsh4Canes; 09-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.
SteveWalsh4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: Are Ward's days numbered or am I reading too much into this?

Maybe....

Thing is, our Defense should not look this bad, with the kind of players we have on this team. Which tells me, that they are not being coached up properly. No reason to have 2-3 people on Clowney, and no one else on the line gets pressure on Murray.

No reason for our DB's, freshman or not, to be so awful. They gave up on many plays, lets UGA receivers get behind them way too easily. This is a coaching thing, not a lack of talent. It seems a lack of motivation as well.

Our Defense ate some humble pie yesterday. We shall see next week if they liked the taste of it or not.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
westcoastspur
Walk On

Male

westcoastspur has feathers coming inwestcoastspur has feathers coming inwestcoastspur has feathers coming in

No. But you have a point. Stevie Wonder could see our defense lacked creativity.It should be fixed quickly tho.
westcoastspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

In recent memory, any time Spurrier has said that he would spend some time helping coach a specific defensive unit during the week after a bad performance, each time that position coach was not a member of the staff come next season. Not saying that will happen with Ward, but it's happened two or three times since HBC has been here. It's more likely that a position coach will lose his job, cough Deke Adams cough Grady Brown cough. HBC loves Ward.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Reading too much into it. Bobo did out coach ward yesterday on nearly every possession. They waited for the d to set up, called a play to counter it and executed. D play calling was very vanilla and predictable and too easy for uga and Murray. We are expecting the DL to be disruptive and that isn't the case right now. Murray is a rhythm passer and we did nothing to break that and shake him up.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

yeah Deke or Brown may not be here next year. Can we knock of Lawing wife or pay here to leave Columbia to get him back... I kid I kid :(
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
SC SWAMPFOX
Sly Fox

Male

SC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his claws

It seems we always believe we have a good D coordinator, only to see the same crap like last night. There is no exscuse for looking that bad on D. The east was laid out for us but now for the 3rd straight year our fate is in someone else's hands. What do you do though? It seems all our decent coaches leave all the time. Then we hire subpar coaches that fight on the sideline.
SC SWAMPFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWalsh4Canes View Post
When SOS said that he wasn't happy with the defense performance and that he would make some "suggestions" to the Def. Coordinator to "help him out", AND that he would make sure that the Cocks defense didn't just "stand around out there" like they did on Saturday...well....is that not kinda a scathing indictment of his DC? I mean, anytime a HC (especially one who knows nothing about defense) talks about "helping out his DC by making a few suggestions to him" and then implies that the defense did nothing but "stand around out there", I would say that the DC's days might be numbered. Do any of ya'll agree or am I reading too much into things?!

Reading too much into to it. We gave up big points inathens in 2011 and 2009. Ellis didn't get fired.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Yea lets fire him after one bad game. Whoever was running the offense should of been fired a couple times last year.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
SC SWAMPFOX
Sly Fox

Male

SC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his clawsSC SWAMPFOX is sharpening his claws

Sp. teams punked us in 09
SC SWAMPFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

reading too much into it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
SteveWalsh4Canes
Banned

Male

SteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudlySteveWalsh4Canes is crowing loudly

GamecockDad, seems like you understand what I was getting at in my original post. It just seems to me that when SOS tells the media that he is going to start getting more involved with the Defensive game planning...well...that doesn't bode well for the defensive coaches. Kinda implies that they need special "help" discharging their duties.
SteveWalsh4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
U-S-C till i D-I-E
Recruit

Male

U-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming inU-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming in

I wouldn't say his days are numbered. I would say this will be a very serious week at practice.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWalsh4Canes View Post
When SOS said that he wasn't happy with the defensive performance and that he would make some "suggestions" to the Def. Coordinator to "help him out", AND that he would make sure that the Cocks defense didn't just "stand around out there" like they did on Saturday...well....is that not kinda a scathing indictment of his DC? I mean, anytime a HC (especially one who knows nothing about defense) talks about "helping out" his DC by making a few "suggestions" to him and then implies that the defense did nothing but "stand around out there", I would say that the DC's days might be numbered. Do any of ya'll agree or am I reading too much into things?!

You're such a bad troll. By Spurrier saying he would make some suggestions to Coach Ward he is not implying Ward will be fired. That is a moronic thought.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Reading too much into to it. We gave up big points inathens in 2011 and 2009. Ellis didn't get fired.
The difference is we won with the defense. The 2011 defense scored over 20 point to win the game.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
geromeo77
Walk On

Male

geromeo77 has feathers coming ingeromeo77 has feathers coming ingeromeo77 has feathers coming in

Great points fellas but I would take him over Ellis any day. The players shouldn't have to be babysitted. They should self adjust and have to perform and at times it seems like they give up!
geromeo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC SWAMPFOX View Post
It seems we always believe we have a good D coordinator, only to see the same crap like last night. There is no exscuse for looking that bad on D. The east was laid out for us but now for the 3rd straight year our fate is in someone else's hands. What do you do though? It seems all our decent coaches leave all the time. Then we hire subpar coaches that fight on the sideline.
Sorry that's not correct. Our fate the past 3 years has been solely in our own hands. Last year even after the loss to LSU, we win in Gainesville & we're SEC East champs. Year before that (I think) our loss to a bad Auburn team ended up killing us. This year is different, now we must run the conference table & hope UGA loses 2.
You're spot about 2009 ST's killing us....namely Brandon Boykin
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Sometimes you just play flat. Thats what hapoened yesterday.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
You're such a bad troll. By Spurrier saying he would make some suggestions to Coach Ward he is not implying Ward will be fired. That is a moronic thought.
I tell you what. Im a Gamecock fan and always will be. I dont think he was implying that Ward would be fired but from what i heard in short he may have been saying he doesnt know what hes doing? What kind of confidence does SOS have in a defensive CO that he has to give "Suggestions" to? I wonder if he actually has lost a little confidence in Whammy? That defense looked horrible. What i watched last night 8 rows up on the 50 yard line looked like a Clemson or UGA defense.....It wasnt what im used to watching. This year will tell what Whammy and the others are made of. Last year was IMO still a Johnson/Lawing defense with Shaq the vocal leader, and DJ, Holloman and all the rest of Ellis defensive recruits that are gone.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Coach Ward is a good coach
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote