CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
usc1
ReadR00ster
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
803scdantes
**USC vs. Charleston (4054)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2219)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (843)
US Air nsfw tweet (688)
I like how Frank sou (604)
Ahh...The Masters (464)
boiled peanuts (463)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (427)
Tax day freebies (424)
The case for Clowney at #
Hillsborough
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Auburn Hires Pearl
2015 - Auden Tate
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
GTA V online
A'ja Wilson
Aggie game coming in from

Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Cupcake chicken

For the inaugural run of my Bradley Digital Smoker I chose to do a riff on Myron Mixon's cupcake chicken. He came up with the idea using muffin pans to cook chicken thighs in. Provides symmetrical pieces which score points on presentation in the box. Here is his recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-365437.

Since this was for me and not for judges I didn't need to have any bone or skin. I used boneless skinless thighs. I thought that his sauce looked too sweet too. I only used 25% of the honey he called for and added some mustard sauce and some adobo sauce for heat. Since I did not have the skin I decided to make bacon cups. Viola! I used throwaway aluminium pans, lined them with thin sliced bacon, then the rubbed thighs. I smoked them with maple for 80 minutes @ 225 then flipped them and gave them 40 minutes more. I then transferred them to my high temp grill to bring them up to temp and glaze them with the blackberry mustard sauce. They may not have been as pretty as Myron's with the skin but they had an awesome taste and the bacon really helped. I'll work on this and make them again sometime!

Ready to go in the smoker:

Flipped drained and ready for glazing:

The smoker:

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cupcake chicken

Timing is everything.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

what kinda potato did you take the second pic with?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
what kinda potato did you take the second pic with?
Eh?

#ModForMod
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Eh?
lol, thats me being sarcastic, first pic is ok (a little blurry but not too bad) second pic looks like it was taken with a cell phone camera circa 1997...does the camera/phone have a macro setting? if so it will make close in pics like that look much cleaner...the last pic (sourced off a manu website prob) should be the goal...fwiw my pics mostly look like they were taken with a potato too
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
lol, thats me being sarcastic, first pic is ok (a little blurry but not too bad) second pic looks like it was taken with a cell phone camera circa 1997...does the camera/phone have a macro setting? if so it will make close in pics like that look much cleaner...the last pic (sourced off a manu website prob) should be the goal...fwiw my pics mostly look like they were taken with a potato too
Gotcha. Actually both of those were taken with my new digicam. Not used to it yet. Also there was a difference of 3-4 hours smoke and beer between those pics!

#ModForMod
Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Gotcha. Actually both of those were taken with my new digicam. Not used to it yet. Also there was a difference of 3-4 hours smoke and beer between those pics!
gotcha, as a side note, I have found that on a normal point and shoot digital camera they take much better "close in" pics (like what you were taking) if you switch the camera to macro mode, as thats what its designed for. the setting uses a symbol like this

Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
gotcha, as a side note, I have found that on a normal point and shoot digital camera they take much better "close in" pics (like what you were taking) if you switch the camera to macro mode, as thats what its designed for. the setting uses a symbol like this

I don't have a setting that looks like that tulip. This is the camera. Which setting do you suggest that I use? http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/c...EC-WB100ZDMRPH

#ModForMod
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
I don't have a setting that looks like that tulip. This is the camera. Which setting do you suggest that I use? http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/c...EC-WB100ZDMRPH
nope, apparently what I was seeing as a flower is actually a gear (settings)....still lookign
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
nope, apparently what I was seeing as a flower is actually a gear (settings)....still lookign
Ah, it is on a different dial! I have 3 choices: Macro, Auto macro, and Super macro. I'm guessing that "auto" is Macro For Dummies?

#ModForMod
Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

ok, check out pgs 55-56, looks like you have to be in P mode on the dial, then press the "tulip" which is on the bottom of the "multi button" on the back of the camera (where the screen is), to the right, then select a macro (has 3 different versions) and hit ok

leave it to samsung to make something complicated
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Ah, it is on a different dial! I have 3 choices: Macro, Auto macro, and Super macro. I'm guessing that "auto" is Macro For Dummies?
lol, you beat me to it, yep, as long as you are more than 4 inches away from the "subject" auto macro will be fine, take one with and one without the flash, see which one turns out better.

the super macro would be nice for close in detail pics, like a single coin or stamp or something else with fine details
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1010
Copperhead has earned his spursCopperhead has earned his spursCopperhead has earned his spursCopperhead has earned his spursCopperhead has earned his spursCopperhead has earned his spurs

Okay, NOW I'm hungry.

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote