CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
snruter amabon
Spur's Addiction
HeadCockFan
U-Dub Gamecock
Copperhead
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
Black Hole
Yearofthegamecock
The Yancey
Can it get any bette (1074)
Auburn Stealing Sign (965)
Funny Golf Story Abo (890)
Defense Tackles (773)
I used to like bush (676)
Boo This Man... (641)
georgia rewind... (624)
Gamecocks Traveling (337)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (316)
Stay focus (295)
Winston
How we won the UGA game:
**official Vandy predicti
Doniyah Cliney to sit out
Haven't seen one unbeatab
Good crowd for volleyball
King - South Carolina vs
Auburn looks beatable
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Stadium improvement idea

Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Offense: Lets Discuss

Since we have a thread on Defense and discussing options lets turn on the positive side and discuss the pluses we have on Offense.

IF they're is one I can complain about it is we are under utilizing the best TE tandem in the country. Jerrell Adams and Busta Anderson are as good as anyone else in the country and they should be nightmares for LB's and opposing safeties to cover but we are not using them as much as we should.

I believe you will see Shaq, Bruce and Nick start at WR next week as they are the best ones at this point, if Bryd learns how to block and become more consistent he might be in the discussion but we haven't took many shots DEEP yet.

Connor Shaw stepped up and showed he could play, compete and give us a chance on the road to win. Honestly, he has hushed any QB controversy. He is our best option at this point in time.

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds are IMHO just as good as Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall. Heck, Davis out gained Gurley on half the carries.

Our O-line did really well yesterday for the most part and they don't face the best Defense they will face all season til Florida, which is alot of time to get better.

Thoughts/opinions. This isn't a thread to bash anyone or our team but discuss options on how our Offense can continue to improve.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Offense: Lets Discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
Connor Shaw stepped up and showed he could play, compete and give us a chance on the road to win. Honestly, he has hushed any QB controversy. He is our best option at this point in time.
I just can't agree with you on this one.

After watching him in person yesterday & having now watched the dvr replay of the game, I now must concede:

Shaw is a 1 Read & Bolt out of the pocket QB. He has not improved his pocket passing game and CAN'T go through progressions. Even when his offensive line is giving him a decent pocket to throw out of.

IMO, unless your name is Tebow or Newton or have blazing speed like Manziel...top SEC QB's are the ones that can read a defense, find the open receiver through progressions...and deliver the football.

Shaw's running is a plus...but the fumble yesterday and not finding the open WRs to make a play in open space is a HUGE concern.

Admire Shaw's desire to compete and do anything to get a Win, but his inability to deliver the football OR protect the football (slide when you have the 1st down, maybe)...will keep us from being an elite Offense.

Thompson may or may not be the answer this year or next to this problem...but until it is addressed by the coaches...we're going to leave points out on the field.

GO COCKS!!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
cockpit commander
Walk On

Male

cockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post

After watching him in person yesterday & having now watched the dvr replay of the game, I now must concede:

Shaw is a 1 Read & Bolt out of the pocket QB. He has not improved his pocket passing game and CAN'T go through progressions. Even when his offensive line is giving him a decent pocket to throw out of.

IMO, unless your name is Tebow or Newton or have blazing speed like Manziel...top SEC QB's are the ones that can read a defense, find the open receiver through progressions...and deliver the football.

Shaw's running is a plus...but the fumble yesterday and not finding the open WRs to make a play in open space is a HUGE concern.

Admire Shaw's desire to compete and do anything to get a Win, but his inability to deliver the football OR protect the football (slide when you have the 1st down, maybe)...will keep us from being an elite Offense.

Thompson may or may not be the answer this year or next to this problem...but until it is addressed by the coaches...we're going to leave points out on the field.

GO COCKS!!
You just may be right , however
In my opinion , Shaws performance
was exceptional ( even with one turn over)
He is the best Qb I've seen ever start
For SC. Week in week out .An average
Qb. Doesn't perform in Athens like he did
Yesterday. Jmo. Our offense went and
did their job lead by Shaw.I have nothing
To say about our D. The entire nation
saw it .Shaw lead his team to 30 points
In Athens. Enough said .
cockpit commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:

GO COCKS!!
Be prepared to be berated for expressing this (very sound, very accurate) observation.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

When is the last time our OLINE played better than our DLINE? Points to whoever knows lol
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
Since we have a thread on Defense and discussing options lets turn on the positive side and discuss the pluses we have on Offense.

IF they're is one I can complain about it is we are under utilizing the best TE tandem in the country. Jerrell Adams and Busta Anderson are as good as anyone else in the country and they should be nightmares for LB's and opposing safeties to cover but we are not using them as much as we should.

I believe you will see Shaq, Bruce and Nick start at WR next week as they are the best ones at this point, if Bryd learns how to block and become more consistent he might be in the discussion but we haven't took many shots DEEP yet.

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds are IMHO just as good as Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall. Heck, Davis out gained Gurley on half the carries.

Our O-line did really well yesterday for the most part and they don't face the best Defense they will face all season til Florida, which is alot of time to get better.

Thoughts/opinions. This isn't a thread to bash anyone or our team but discuss options on how our Offense can continue to improve.
I love Conner Shaw. The HBC must play Dillion also. Connner had a good game, but in reality missed some key throws, held the ball for sacks, ran 16 times with WR open. The key is let Dillion play one quarter each game.
Conner throw to Anderson in the end zone was late and low. Anderson at 6'5 had to slow down and turn around, the defender caught up with him. The ball should have been over the shoulder. Conner missed both MD and BW on the wheel route. Missed Jones across the middle. I think he was tired from all the running. Conner is still a great QB, but play Dillion also.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:

GO COCKS!!
Have to agree. Unless DT is given the chance, we will never know.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
I love Conner Shaw. The HBC must play Dillion also.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
USCooper
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material

All this shaw/dillon talk aside, that's not why we lost....
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I would have liked to see what Dylan could have done with the pass pro we had yesterday. Shaw is used to playing behind average to below average pass pro and that's what his style of play is best suited to. When you have pass pro like we did yesterday... A QB who goes through his progressions is lethal. That game was expected to be a shoot out and it was. Connor's performance was solid, but not good enough to win. Frankly, I was surprised that DT didn't go in after the first couple drives stalled even with excellent pass pro. I thought Spurrier was committed to playing 2 QBs, but so far, that's not the case.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

All valid points. Keep in mind that Anderson and Whitehurst dropped Tds. Also Bruce lost a ball in the sun wide open for a long 3rd down. Shaw isn't the best qb in the country but he is obviously the best we have(that's why he is playing not Dylan). I really don't see the point saying that shaw is holding us back when his offense scored 30 on the road. And spurrier blew the chance for more on the 1 yard line. That is more than our offense has ever done under spurrier. I thought shaw did an excellent job matching Murray drive for drive. except that 85 yd blown coverage the 2 were relatively even.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

30 points on the road at uga is good enough, or should be with our talent on defense. That's all folks. we get that tackling and soft zone crap figured out an we good.

Should have been 38 points too.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

My observation:

Connor is duel threat down to the core. He seems to want to run every single play. He has a poor pocket presence. POOR. As for being a gamer and an athlete, he's the best hands down.

Our RB situation is scary good. I really wish they'd gotten the ball more yesterday. Seriously, If Lattimore was still here playing, do you guys think we'd seen a play from the shotgun at the 1" line? If so, It would have been Latti up the gut, not an option play to the right.

Nick Jones is becoming a threat real quick! THANK YOU! Shaq Roland...Man I really don't know why he didn't see any playing time until the second half, but when he was in he did well. Bruce...Ohh Bruce, I know it's your last year, but as a leader on the WR Corps, that was a freshman move to blame the sun. I know you saw that ball leave Connor's hands. It really looked like he threw you a hot potato and you didn't want to get burned so you moved your hands out of the way.

The TE's need the ball more.

The O-line has really impressed me so far this season, Stadnick really did well for his first start even though there were some high snaps, he'll get better.

Overall, this offense is as good as advertised. Now if only the playcalling doesn't set them up for failure, these guys are going to widen some eyes this year.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to throw a hand grenade into the offense right now.

Hey..coach, we scored 30 points at Athens. What do you want to do?

Welp, let's see if we can't screw it up some.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It never ceases to amaze me how all of our receivers apparently run around all game wide open. What's even more amazing is when they catch passes defenders are on their hips. I guess when Shaw actually throws the ball the defense is in coverage but any other time te defenders are taking naps.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
Cockfanga
Walk On

Male

Cockfanga has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
All valid points. Keep in mind that Anderson and Whitehurst dropped Tds. Also Bruce lost a ball in the sun wide open for a long 3rd down. Shaw isn't the best qb in the country but he is obviously the best we have(that's why he is playing not Dylan). I really don't see the point saying that shaw is holding us back when his offense scored 30 on the road. And spurrier blew the chance for more on the 1 yard line. That is more than our offense has ever done under spurrier. I thought shaw did an excellent job matching Murray drive for drive. except that 85 yd blown coverage the 2 were relatively even.
Nevermind - time to move on...
Cockfanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
When is the last time our OLINE played better than our DLINE? Points to whoever knows lol
First game that comes to my mind is Florida in 2010. I'm sure there are other games where our OL played maybe slightly better or just as good as our DL, but the 2010 Florida game where Latti had over 200 rushing yards and we averaged nearly 5 rushes per yard as a team...with 40 minutes TOP.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Dillon Fence was a hell of a band.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Also, hard to call Anderson/Adams a great TE combo until they actually produce.

We're missing Justice at this point.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I would have liked to see what Dylan could have done with the pass pro we had yesterday. Shaw is used to playing behind average to below average pass pro and that's what his style of play is best suited to. When you have pass pro like we did yesterday... A QB who goes through his progressions is lethal. That game was expected to be a shoot out and it was. Connor's performance was solid, but not good enough to win. Frankly, I was surprised that DT didn't go in after the first couple drives stalled even with excellent pass pro. I thought Spurrier was committed to playing 2 QBs, but so far, that's not the case.
I have a legitimate question. I know you will probably not respond with a legitimate answer, but I am trying. You say that a QB like DT is lethal when given pass protection.

So what reason would you give that our offense was no more productive against Clemson than we were at UGA. We had plenty of pass protection against Clemson. We had 11 possessions and we scored TDs three times. I am not being a smart ass when I say that doesn't seem "lethal" to me

So instead of putting me down, I am asking you to tell me what I am missing. Not what DT "looks like" but something objective that demonstrates that DT is able to score more points than Connor even with good pass protection.

Can you give me anything? Honest question.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote