CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ReadR00ster
Gamecocks1137
A. Pilgrim
kingofnerf
PageUSC
taylorssc
gamecockgal
thekob
Spurticus
Juco QBs? (2058)
How do you want Aubu (1722)
Auburn/USC point spr (1681)
If the Head Ball Coa (1136)
Whenever I Get Depre (827)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (671)
To ANYONE complainin (655)
Does South Carolina (619)
Tennessee Game Time (466)
Peyton Manning break (290)
Juco QBs?
To ANYONE complaining abo
Williams and Mitch
SOS threatened to fire Jo
Rest of the season predic
Auburn/USC point spread
Assuming our defense stay
Mike Davis Stiff Arm
Name a Gamecock
Does South Carolina still

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default 4 reasons we WILL still have a great season

1. We play very differently at home.

This year is a favorable schedule in that regard. We have to beat Florida, but all of our road SEC games are very winnable. Being at the Brice for our toughest matchups will be a major advantage the rest of this year.

2. One loss doesn't kill your season.

We beat UGA in 2011 and 2012 but didn't make it to Atlanta. This one game guarantees you nothing. They have a tougher row to hoe than we do, and could easily end up behind us in the standings. Every part of our team made critical mistakes against UGA: offense, defense and special teams. It is unusual for that to occur. This is more of an anomaly instead of the norm.

Beyond this one game, the last team to go undefeated and win was 2010. That is becoming more rare. Once again...ONE GAME DOESN'T KILL YOUR SEASON.

3. Many of our problems can be resolved with experience and dedication.

We have some talent, they are just young. Time and experience will solve some of these issues. If they work hard and are willing, they can improve in those areas.

4. We still have a good team with good leadership.

They messed up, and did so badly. As I said above, every unit had multiple, critical mistakes. But mistakes can be learned from, and I think we have guys good enough to do just that. And frankly, they deserve fans that behave a little better than what I have seen here the past few days.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: 4 reasons we WILL still have a great season

Agreed. Run the table and make it to Atlanta. Georgia will slip up.
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
GwinnettCock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GwinnettCock is learning to peckGwinnettCock is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post

This year is a favorable schedule in that regard. We have to beat Florida, but all of our road SEC games are very winnable. Being at the Brice for our toughest matchups will be a major advantage the rest of this year.

We beat UGA in 2011 and 2012 but didn't make it to Atlanta. This one game guarantees you nothing. They have a tougher row to hoe than we do, and could easily end up behind us in the standings. Every part of our team made critical mistakes against UGA: offense, defense and special teams. It is unusual for that to occur. This is more of an anomaly instead of the norm.

Beyond this one game, the last team to go undefeated and win was 2010. That is becoming more rare. Once again...ONE GAME DOESN'T KILL YOUR SEASON.

We have some talent, they are just young. Time and experience will solve some of these issues. If they work hard and are willing, they can improve in those areas.

They messed up, and did so badly. As I said above, every unit had multiple, critical mistakes. But mistakes can be learned from, and I think we have guys good enough to do just that. And frankly, they deserve fans that behave a little better than what I have seen here the past few days.

I sure hope you are right. After watching the replay, the defense has a lot of work to do. Not only did we do pretty much nothing right, we looked totally uninspired. I knew we would miss Coach Lawing, but I didn't think it would be this much. Something is wrong scheme wise and it needs to be fixed rather quickly.

I'm sure some of you guys will disagree with me on this, but I just do not see Georgia losing more than 1 SEC game. LSU will have a very good chance at beating them because they like to pound the ball and Georgia doesn't seem to be able to stop the run. I thought before the season that Florida might be able to knock them off, but unless something changes with them I don't see it.

I'm definitely not trying to be a half cup full type of guy, but I try to be realistic. We need to fix some things and it needs to happen fast. We can't let one game cost us another one.
GwinnettCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

Thank you. Great post.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who's optimistic about the season on CT.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwinnettCock View Post
I sure hope you are right. After watching the replay, the defense has a lot of work to do. Not only did we do pretty much nothing right, we looked totally uninspired. I knew we would miss Coach Lawing, but I didn't think it would be this much. Something is wrong scheme wise and it needs to be fixed rather quickly.

I'm sure some of you guys will disagree with me on this, but I just do not see Georgia losing more than 1 SEC game. LSU will have a very good chance at beating them because they like to pound the ball and Georgia doesn't seem to be able to stop the run. I thought before the season that Florida might be able to knock them off, but unless something changes with them I don't see it.

I'm definitely not trying to be a half cup full type of guy, but I try to be realistic. We need to fix some things and it needs to happen fast. We can't let one game cost us another one.
Georgia hasn't played well outside of their home yet. Florida is a neutral site, if Fla stops the run and gets to Murray (two things we did not do) then it could be a very different game. LSU isn't a given, and who knows about Auburn. UGA is good, but not consistent. Hopefully it bites them.

Either way you look at it, our sec schedule is more favorable than theirs.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell

We should all be optimistic. One game doesn't define a season. It's better to lose early than late.
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Pappop
Starter

Male

Pappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talons

Have to agree that we have a young team and perfection can not be expected from them until they learn. They will get better as the season goes. If this season turns out to be a teaching time for them than so be it. Just imagine what they will learn by next year. This year might be our year, but then next year might be. I see talent and good kids on the field. I'll take that all day.

Agree that Lawing is greatly missed at this point. And not sure this defense has an identity, but hopefully will get there with some help from SOS taking a little more control of that side of the ball.
Pappop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
GwinnettCock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Georgia hasn't played well outside of their home yet. Florida is a neutral site, if Fla stops the run and gets to Murray (two things we did not do) then it could be a very different game. LSU isn't a given, and who knows about Auburn. UGA is good, but not consistent. Hopefully it bites them.

Either way you look at it, our sec schedule is more favorable than theirs.
I agree on those points but Florida has their own problems to fix if they want to beat Georgia. It just sucks that once again we have to depend on other teams to help us out. Our season definitely isn't over, but we better get things fixed quickly.

Also, our SEC schedule may be more favorable, but if we don't get better on defense there is no way we are winning out.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I view this as a reality check. It will be good for the team in the long run.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
GwinnettCock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappop View Post
Have to agree that we have a young team and perfection can not be expected from them until they learn. They will get better as the season goes. If this season turns out to be a teaching time for them than so be it. Just imagine what they will learn by next year. This year might be our year, but then next year might be. I see talent and good kids on the field. I'll take that all day.

Agree that Lawing is greatly missed at this point. And not sure this defense has an identity, but hopefully will get there with some help from SOS taking a little more control of that side of the ball.
I think we all knew there would be a learning curve, but at times we acted like we didn't have a clue. Again, I know more of that comes with experience, but if you look at the TD run by Marshall, our LB's just aren't sure and are slow to react.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
4gamecockfb
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

I agree trapper. We can win out and if we do so we may make it to Atlanta. Maybe with the players knowing this and having their backs against the wall it will motivate them to give maximum effort to not lose again.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Either we have a really good defense and Todd Gurley is just that good and no one is going to stop him, in that case it is not likely they are going to lose two SEC games, or our defense is just bad in which case in which case we will probably lose some more. Our hope is the former and that Murray and Gurley get injured so that they can lose some.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
GwinnettCock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Either we have a really good defense and Todd Gurley is just that good and no one is going to stop him, in that case it is not likely they are going to lose two SEC games, or our defense is just bad in which case in which case we will probably lose some more. Our hope is the former and that Murray and Gurley get injured so that they can lose some.

I think it is obvious that Georgia has a good offense. The thing that bothers me is the way that we played them. Why in the heck were our DB's playing 10 yards off the WR's? Not one of their WR's are scary with Mitchell out, yet we continued to give them a cushion all day. We should have played a lot of press coverage and gave our DL some time to make plays.

And we also didn't make ANY adjustments as the game went on.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
4gamecockfb
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

I don't think there will be a lot of stopping todd gurley, but anything can happen any given night.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

I expect to win every game and its still possible but what i dont think the majority of people realize is we have to run the table and UGA will have to lose twice in SEC play. Thats highly unlikely but we can still hold out hope. This was a crucial game for this season, more than most understand.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
While I hope no one gets injured, Gurley can't do anything with Happy Feet Murray. Murray doesn't fake getting hit well. We didn't do it, but someone else may.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
I expect to win every game and its still possible but what i dont think the majority of people realize is we have to run the table and UGA will have to lose twice in SEC play. Thats highly unlikely but we can still hold out hope. This was a crucial game for this season, more than most understand.
Same thing was said of us in 2011 and 2012. And even so, let's say we don't win the east, we could still go to the Sugar Bowl ala Florida last year. Who knows? Point is let's not write off the whole thing now.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Budweiser, miller, coors, and pbr?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Budweiser, miller, coors, and pbr?
Not my kind of beer...
Old 09-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I'm with you on all but number four. I have not seen any Leadership on defense.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote