CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JaxcockFL
CockyGuy
USCBASEBALL1
SanAntonioCock
Flameout12
SwampFox
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1704)
Chattanooga upends N (984)
NEW Pics from South (672)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (377)
This Doctor Fell In (338)
Happy Thanksgiving C (247)
Strategy First Steam (151)
Penniless: Creed's S (134)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (126)
Texans getting frustrated
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
How many??
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
Name a Gamecock
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Ninety Six 21 Abbeville
2014 Class AA Division I
2015 Commitment - Arden K

Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default No leadership on Defense

DJ is gone, Shaq is gone, Holloman is gone. After watching the game Saturday I just don't see alot of leadership and fight and fire our Defenses from the past years have had. If our secondary would of given up those 3rd downs after 3rd down you better believe Swearinger would of lit into someones ass.

I know our LBs are young and it doesn't appear Clowney our Sutton are very vocal at all. I thought maybe it could be Hampton or Quarles but idk.

Maybe I'm off base here maybe it's just our LBs and Spurs are undersized and not well matched for a power run team like UGA. Also the confusion in our secondary especially our safeties looked horrible! I expected Gurley to have a few mistakes but Brison has looked bad. Also Legree and Christian looked very very average at CB.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: No leadership on Defense

It's really a shame that Clowney isn't more of a vocal leader. Oh well...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Agree...maybe my main concern going into this season....mental toughness of younger players when getting beat by older and more physical players. I'm not surprised by what happened except on our DL.

On the opposite side of the ball....look at our offense...
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
It's really a shame that Clowney isn't more of a vocal leader. Oh well...

Not everyone is made out to be vocal leaders. You didn't see Marcu jump up in people's faces and do things like DJ used to do, but yet people say Marcus was the best leader we've ever had. It's not all about being a vocal leader.

I agree that we need someone that can jump somebodys ass when they screw up, but expecting Clowney to do EVERYTHING is just a bit much.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Yes we miss their leadership. I don't know who's gonna be that guy to step up this year. But somebody needs to.

But ya know we also miss their talent and experience. Our D had NFL talent in the secondary last year. (Holloman not only had significant playing time in a Week 1 NFL game last night, he also had a fumble recovery)

I think this D has the potential to be as good as last years just needs some time. Really was tough with all our youth at LB and secondary and their second game ever was at Athens playing against best Offense in SEC

Saturday can't get here fast enough. We need to get this nasty taste out of our mouth. And yes, I agree somebody needs to step up and be a leader.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

You're right, a good defensive front kept the middle of the field pretty much contained but the power sweep to the strong side was continually effective. Also, no real pressure was applied to Murray on passing downs to get us off the field. Move Clowney to mid LB and let him do whatever Clowney feels like doing.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Not everyone is made out to be vocal leaders. You didn't see Marcu jump up in people's faces and do things like DJ used to do, but yet people say Marcus was the best leader we've ever had. It's not all about being a vocal leader.

I agree that we need someone that can jump somebodys ass when they screw up, but expecting Clowney to do EVERYTHING is just a bit much.
Agreed. Not everyone is made out to be a vocal leader. It's those really special players that play 100% every down, contribute to the leadership of their team, and have sick talent. Does anybody have that combination of superlatives on the team this year?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous
Default No leadership on Defense

I knew we were going to miss Swearinger.

Clowney is the best talent on the team. I don't expect him to do everything; football is a team sport.

Regardless, it's disappointing that his intangibles have been poor through two games. He doesn't need to be a vocal leader, but he needs to lead by example.

If not Clowney, then who? The core of those back-to-back 11 win teams are gone. New leaders have to emerge on both sides of the ball.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

We're going to have to blitz the hell out of people to disguise our issues at LB and the Secondary.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
We're going to have to blitz the hell out of people to disguise our issues at LB and the Secondary.
If Whammy doesn't figure that out soon we might lose ALLOT more games this year. I'm really interested to see how this team responds to getting smacked in the mouth.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1012824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I bet practice today will be brutal
GamecockInHell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I bet practice today will be brutal
It should be for the defense. The offense did their job for the most part. Anytime you score 30 points, you should win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
If Whammy doesn't figure that out soon we might lose ALLOT more games this year. I'm really interested to see how this team responds to getting smacked in the mouth.
I can understand why he tried to win with our line on defense. Clemson had their way with UGA's o-line by rushing 4 men at a time. However, as the game went on and it became apparent that this wouldn't work, he should have adjusted. I'm sure he will adjust accordingly as the year goes on.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
crockcock
Recruit

Male

crockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurs

I T totally.... agree. I just don't see it unfortuntley. Our linebackers are so young and Light. How can you fix this overnite? We had so many missed tackles, misassignments, no leaders on D.....has Whammy checked out? Usually....especially the last few years, we have made our adjustments at halftime or during the course of the game and stop/contain pretty much everything they are trying to do....I am very worried about our D.
crockcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

No big plays on defense. That one pressured lob coulda been picked. Game changer.
SouthCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Sutton, Quarles, and Brison Williams were supposed to have huge years and so far they have done nothing! They are behind guys like Skai Moore in tackles. I don't even think they are in the top 10 on the team in tackles.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
crockcock
Recruit

Male

crockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurs

The coaches knowing that the LB corp would be undersized this year. What happen with Kelvin Rainey playing LB? I thought from reading all reports he was excelling at his new LB postion....at least he is 6 3' and 225 or so.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Sutton, Quarles, and Brison Williams were supposed to have huge years and so far they have done nothing! They are behind guys like Skai Moore in tackles. I don't even think they are in the top 10 on the team in tackles.
Probably true, but when the secondary is getting burned a lot, they're going to get more tackles.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

we actually did a good job of containing the run in the 2nd half up until that playaction 20+ yard gain they had to the fullback and at that point we were pretty much done. what killed us in the 2nd half was the 3rd down conversions on obvious passing downs.

at this point we've just got to make better calls on defense and hope everyone gets on the right page. i question the leadership too, but i think that will ultimately be determined in the next game and the coming weeks, bad games happen. now how will we respond. obviously theres no cure all, but im hoping ced cooper gets back and brings some consistency and leadership to that defense.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

they need to shut up and start letting their play do the talking. no one has lived up to their mouths.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
crockcock
Recruit

Male

Mason Harris and Darius English both need a medical redshirt along with a regular redshirt in order for there bodies to build out....my gosh they are light. It seems Devin Taylor arrived very light his first year and he redshirted and I think. he had a medical redshirt as well? And look what happen to him his jr and Sr year at Carolina....he blew up physically!