CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
A. Pilgrim
eightohhthree
thekob
B-G
Winston (5175)
ESPN reporter adding (3203)
SOS: No QB controve (2282)
In light of our matc (1401)
How we won the UGA g (1371)
Just read this. (1311)
If we keep winning a (706)
Neat statistic bruhh (616)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Should I move to Oxf (510)
uniforms saturday
Happy National Cheeseburg
Winston
In light of our matchup w
Places to watch Carolina
The SEC East schedule fro
Christian Walker called u
Vandy Fans
How we won the UGA game:
Terry Googer - new Wildca

Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
black_magic85
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
black_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervous
Default The early loss will be good for us

We got it out of the way, maybe now we can get over all of the hype and go fix the problems. Maybe now we will realize that we have to do more than just show up to the game.
black_magic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb
Default Re: The early loss will be good for us

I agree. This was the one before the season that I was really worried about losing. We should be 10-1 going into the Clemson game (assuming our defense learns how to play).
StretfordEnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
black_magic85
Walk On

Male

black_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervous

Hopefully Whammy will light a fire under their asses. Somebody needs to step up as a vocal leader on the field.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

It's a long season. Lot of games to be played.
SouthCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I won't say the loss will be good for us, but I'd rather lose early in the season than late in the season.

That being said, I'm the biggest LSU fan you can find right now (I still say they are the real deal).

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Defense is still young..can't speed up the learning curve with youth only time makes those guys better
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday View Post
Defense is still young..can't speed up the learning curve with youth only time makes those guys better
I don't like that excuse. We have a 3 Jrs and 1 Sr on the DLine. 2 Sophomores at LB, 1 Sr/3 Jrs/1 Sophomore in the secondary. I realize the depth is a little young but I think the problem with our defense is more something internal or schematically and not as much the youth. There are younger defenses out there performing better than ours. Before some of you say "it was just one game" some of these tendencies were evident against UNC. Sutton's among a couple other experienced players that haven't pulled their weight so far. Not saying youth has nothing to do with it, just saying there's more to it than that.

This early loss is good and bad. Good in that it should help us regroup and focus now. Bad in that it was literally the worst possible time for a loss. Chances that UGA loses 2 AND we win out are very slim. I would've rather lost to UNC, Vandy, or hell even Kentucky. But not UGA.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I think you will find out what kind of character we have this weekend... If we come out flat, it could be a very long season. Im guessing there will be some serious soul searching going on this week in practice.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
black_magic85
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I think you will find out what kind of character we have this weekend... If we come out flat, it could be a very long season. Im guessing there will be some serious soul searching going on this week in practice.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Rex123
Walk On

Male

Rex123 is learning to peckRex123 is learning to peck

I've been showing up to practice an hour earlier and staying an hour longer. I know we will turn this into positive. We are on the right track.
Rex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Certainly agree. This is a pivotal game which will absolutely gauge the rest of the season.

Embarrassing given we play Vandy. I'm hoping Spurrier makes an example out of somebody
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't know. MAYBE it will help us, maybe we'll continue to struggle, but to lose that particular game was too costly to be worth it as a some kind of trade off. It's a possible "on the brightside" scenario. It won't overcome the failure of losing that game unless UGA manages to blow their SEC East lead.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default The early loss will be good for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex123 View Post
I've been showing up to practice an hour earlier and staying an hour longer. I know we will turn this into positive. We are on the right track.
Who you is?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Well know more after we play Vandy. If we just get by them, it's gonna be a long season.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I won't say the loss will be good for us, but I'd rather lose early in the season than late in the season.

That being said, I'm the biggest LSU fan you can find right now (I still say they are the real deal).
LSU offense is gonna surprise people this year. Mettenberger is better than people think and can Cameron can call plays if les miles stays out of the damn way
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Clearly, our heads were too big, starting with Jadeveon.

It's time to eat some of the good old southern cooking -- humble pie!

Let's get back to the basics and coach 'em up.

A few observations:

1. Our linebackers aren't too small if they gang tackle and don't arm tackle. Their size should give them a speed advantage but they have to know where to go. Right now, they are consistently out of position. That must change.

2. Give Christian a break. Maybe he had a bad day. So what? Have any of us ever had a horrendous day at the office? I think we all know the answer to that one. Every player on the team has had at least one bad day. I'm sure he's doing the best he can. His position coach needs to coach him up. I wouldn't be surprised if he's awesome the rest of the year.

3. We have to be willing to take a few chances on defense. This game reminded me of the ridiculous Ellis Johnson "let's give every damn receiver a ten yard cushion" approach which cost us several games a few years back. You cannot win by trying not to lose. Risk is part of the game.

4. Our offensive line is getting better and better. I was really worried about the pass protection and it has improved remarkably.

5. Mike Davis outgained Todd Gurley. Just think the world ought to know.

6. The sun came up Sunday morning. The apocalypse has not begun. We can still have a great season and go bowling... we may even have a shot at the SEC East if we get back to basics. We beat Georgia two years in a row and they got to go, even though we had the better record. Maybe it's our turn for the system to sneak us in through the back door.

7. I don't ever want to see two South Carolina coaches go at it like that again -- not on national TV, for God's sake.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I don't like that excuse. We have a 3 Jrs and 1 Sr on the DLine. 2 Sophomores at LB, 1 Sr/3 Jrs/1 Sophomore in the secondary. I realize the depth is a little young but I think the problem with our defense is more something internal or schematically and not as much the youth. There are younger defenses out there performing better than ours. Before some of you say "it was just one game" some of these tendencies were evident against UNC. Sutton's among a couple other experienced players that haven't pulled their weight so far. Not saying youth has nothing to do with it, just saying there's more to it than that.

This early loss is good and bad. Good in that it should help us regroup and focus now. Bad in that it was literally the worst possible time for a loss. Chances that UGA loses 2 AND we win out are very slim. I would've rather lost to UNC, Vandy, or hell even Kentucky. But not UGA.
I understand what you are saying but where we are giving up big plays are when we're in cover 2 or Tampa 3 defense which are pass defenses. This is where young guys are playing in the secondary. And I totally agree the d line play is inexcusable
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote