CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
SC Sandlapper
So Disappointed With (1778)
Rank the QBs under S (1339)
Back like cooked cra (935)
Tennessee game (642)
Who start on the d l (599)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (434)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (323)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (145)
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re
Vote For Cocky
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Took Sunday to digest...here is what I got

The positives
1-Our offense is pretty damn good. Davis is a game-breaker at RB, and we have some pretty good WRs in Jones, Roland and Ellington...still waiting for us to use our TEs more.

2-I thought the Oline played well, and besides a few high snaps, I thought STadnick played very well in his first career game.

3-Can't blame Bruce for not catching the sun ball...hard to catch.

4-Don't have a problem with the option call on fourth down at the goalline. Play worked before, just missed a block and UGA was ready for it.

5-Another good game for Frye...bad snap on the missed XP. Also thought Hull punted well and Ard's kickoffs were better.

The BAD.
1-Our D is out of shape...especially our Dline. Got too big and put on bad weight.

2-Someone has to step up since opponenets are running their offense away from Clowney.

3-The 80+ TD pass to seal the game was a prime example of not having a guy like Swearinger. He would've called out to the corner to stay with his man...Instead, we had a RS Fresh S and a RS Fresh CB and got torched.

4-Ahmad Christian probably had the worst game a corner can have. Tough day for the kid, but if that is the best he can give us we may need to look elsewhere. Let's see how he does next week, hopefully he can rebound.

Roundup
1-So far I'm not impressed with Deke Adams. Fundamentals on the line have fallen off and apparently he wants to fight Botkin.

2-Been very impressed with Coach Botkin and getting our young LBs ready to play (thought the LBs played a good game).

3-Ward got flat outcoached by Bobo Saturday. We will have to start blitzing and playing more creative coverages, because we just can't consistently get pressure with rushing four.

4-Mike Davis will get 1,000 yards rushing this year.

5-We really need Anderson to show up at TE. He has had butterfingers the past two games and we need him to take up space in the middle of the field attacking the middle seam in team's cover 2 defense.

6-When did you think we would say our offense is good, but our defense is holding us back at Carolina?

Overall, no need to say the sky is falling...very fixable things, but every game is a must-win now. Hopefully this loss will wake up our defense, because while our offense is good, I don't feel we have the ability to win 40+ point shootouts.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Took Sunday to digest...here is what I got

Guys like Sutton, Quarles, and Brison Williams are gonna have to start stepping up. They are gonna have to make plays to prevent offenses from running away from Clowney. Until that happens our D is going to continue to struggle.

If we don't get the secondary straightened out Mathews from vandy will have 250 yards receiving next week.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

A lot of this I can agree with. I think its apparent that the D-line can not get pressure. This is just my .02 but I think the whole defensive crew need to get together and figure something out.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Guys like Sutton, Quarles, and Brison Williams are gonna have to start stepping up. They are gonna have to make plays to prevent offenses from running away from Clowney. Until that happens our D is going to continue to struggle.

If we don't get the secondary straightened out Mathews from vandy will have 250 yards receiving next week.
Against Vandy, the secondary had better provide tight coverage on Matthews all game long, possibly with double coverage from the safety position if needed as he is Vandy's primary and possibly only real receiving threat. There will be no excuse for letting him beat us this weekend.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
PageUSC

Male

PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Oh and Gurley is a sophomore
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Oh and Gurley is a sophomore
Gurley Marcus Lattimored us.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

A fair assessment, but Anderson didn't play in the UNC game. To get the TE's involved, we need to do those pick crossing patterns that SOS is known for.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the option td mike scored earlier worked in the sense that he scored, but it required a superhuman effort of him getting through 4-5 defenders by himself to score from 3 yards out. the success of that previous play should not have been a reason to call it on the 4th and goal. i can understand getting the ball on the perimeter if we need a good bit of yardage, but to have inches to go and not go with a sneak or give your back a lead blocker will always baffle me.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Grantham said after the game that he KNEW we were going to run the option on 4th and 1 and called their defensive alignment on that play to counter it.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
Gurley Marcus Lattimored us.
No I meant TJ Gurley. The op referenced him as a RS fresh.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Grantham said after the game that he KNEW we were going to run the option on 4th and 1 and called their defensive alignment on that play to counter it.
Of course he knew. Everyone knew it because we did the exact same thing last time were at the goaline. Should've snuck it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

It seems like I am the only person who thinks our LBs are doing a bad job. They are young, I get it, and will only get better, but I blame ~70% of our defensive issues on their lack of size and experience.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
The positives
1-Our offense is pretty damn good. Davis is a game-breaker at RB, and we have some pretty good WRs in Jones, Roland and Ellington...still waiting for us to use our TEs more.

2-I thought the Oline played well, and besides a few high snaps, I thought STadnick played very well in his first career game.

4-Don't have a problem with the option call on fourth down at the goalline. Play worked before, just missed a block and UGA was ready for it.

5-Another good game for Frye...bad snap on the missed XP. Also thought Hull punted well and Ard's kickoffs were better.

The BAD.
1-Our D is out of shape...especially our Dline. Got too big and put on bad weight.

2-Someone has to step up since opponenets are running their offense away from Clowney.

3-The 80+ TD pass to seal the game was a prime example of not having a guy like Swearinger. He would've called out to the corner to stay with his man...Instead, we had a RS Fresh S and a RS Fresh CB and got torched.

4-Ahmad Christian probably had the worst game a corner can have. Tough day for the kid, but if that is the best he can give us we may need to look elsewhere. Let's see how he does next week, hopefully he can rebound.

Roundup
1-So far I'm not impressed with Deke Adams. Fundamentals on the line have fallen off and apparently he wants to fight Botkin.

2-Been very impressed with Coach Botkin and getting our young LBs ready to play (thought the LBs played a good game).

3-Ward got flat outcoached by Bobo Saturday. We will have to start blitzing and playing more creative coverages, because we just can't consistently get pressure with rushing four.

5-We really need Anderson to show up at TE. He has had butterfingers the past two games and we need him to take up space in the middle of the field attacking the middle seam in team's cover 2 defense.

6-When did you think we would say our offense is good, but our defense is holding us back at Carolina?

Overall, no need to say the sky is falling...very fixable things, but every game is a must-win now. Hopefully this loss will wake up our defense, because while our offense is good, I don't feel we have the ability to win 40+ point shootouts.
I don't remember seeing the "rabbit package" when Clowney moves inside and English takes the DE position. I also don't remember us blitzing much.....Whammy has gotten too conservative......the only way we were going to rattle Murray was to bring pressure and it didn't happen. I think the defensive coaches misjudged how difficult it is to put 6 new guys on defense and still run the same defense in the same way as the last few years. Another problem with our defense is our LB lack size, something I brought up 5-6 months ago. They seem to be having a hard time getting off blocks. If Golightly's best attribute is blitzing, then bring bring it.....you can't expect a 190 SPUR to stop RB that weigh 225-230 lbs.

I don't think our DL is out of shape. The problem is they only see limited snaps in scrimmages and therefore have to get used to playing an entire game. I think the Georgia game would have ended differently if we had them 4th or 5th game like last year instead of 2nd game.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
A fair assessment, but Anderson didn't play in the UNC game. To get the TE's involved, we need to do those pick crossing patterns that SOS is known for.
It's called a drag pattern.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

guys, all the plays are not going away from clowney. 21 of ugas pts were from plays run on his side of the line. On 2 he was single man blocked. I think the big difference is your lb's this year.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
guys, all the plays are not going away from clowney. 21 of ugas pts were from plays run on his side of the line. On 2 he was single man blocked. I think the big difference is your lb's this year.
carry your ass back to smack....
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
The positives

The BAD.

Roundup

I disagree with the option call. It was a good call on 3rd and Goal from the 3. It was a terrible call on 4th and goal from 1 ft.

Anderson didn't play against UNC.

Our D-Line did nothing to confuse the UGA O-Line. Adams schemes are the problems, not fundamentals. A large part of our success under Lawing was moving Ingram and Clowney. Changing their point of attack brought confusion and caused breakdowns in the blocking schemes.

Also, I realize LB's are freshman, but when all 5 down linemen, the TE and a FB are engaged with the D-Line, LB's have to be disruptive and make plays.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
Completely agree. One of those plays he stunted inside and our LB who went unblocked simply didn't get outside to seal the edge.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
I disagree with the option call. It was a good call on 3rd and Goal from the 3. It was a terrible call on 4th and goal from 1 ft.

Anderson didn't play against UNC.

Our D-Line did nothing to confuse the UGA O-Line. Adams schemes are the problems, not fundamentals. A large part of our success under Lawing was moving Ingram and Clowney. Changing their point of attack brought confusion and caused breakdowns in the blocking schemes.

Also, I realize LB's are freshman, but when all 5 down linemen, the TE and a FB are engaged with the D-Line, LB's have to be disruptive and make plays.
I think the LB have been a little slow to react because they're thinking too much....which is a big problem for young guys. This is one reason why SOS said he's going to simplify the defense.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

we did go with a modified rabbit package on their last td pass. sutton was rushing from a dt spot with quarles beside him. the one problem i have with that is sutton and clowney need to be beside each other ala clowney/ingram from 2010.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote