CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
gamecockgal
Ahmad
gadeneer1986
Jim Lahey
Ericvol2096
cockfight21
10-2 (2125)
UK promoting a black (1850)
Four UK Players Susp (1424)
Build a New Stadium (1328)
Connor Shaw's fault. (815)
Cleaned up version: (711)
Nosovitch (687)
QB Recruiting Strate (675)
This program has no (583)
Defer Or Not? (454)
10-2
Build a New Stadium
QB Recruiting Strategy
2016 - Tavien Feaster
UK promoting a blackout f
Nosovitch
Defer Or Not?
State talent drying up
KY Suspends 4 Players for
Name a Gamecock

Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly
Default Hypothetical situation

Now that this first loss is out of the way, I think that our boys can still go out and end up in the National Championship game in Pasadena. This season can play something like the 2011 season for Alabama and LSU. As we know LSU won that game, and bama sat out and ended up playing and winning the NC that year when they played each other again.

So here is the situation as I see it... UGA has another loss against Florida, and we win against Florida, and finish the SEC 7-1, and win the East. UGA finishes with a 10-2 record sitting at home as we play for the title... I believe that if all works out in the favor of college football, we can end up playing them again for the NC, just like Bama played LSU for it, and bama winning it, after losing the regular season meeting.

Now, the likliness of this happening is slim to not really gonna happen, but I like the way it can potentially set up. Will it? Well, there are 120 other teams trying to do the same thing, so we will see how it goes, but if we run the table, and we have some help down the line, that clemson loss may creep up and haunt GA just enough that they are #2, and we are #1 playing for the NC.

Call me crazy, call me stupid, call me dumb, call me an idiot, call me anything under the sun, but I hope that we can run the table for the best season EVER at South Carolina. GO COCKS, and if its not Georgia, I do hope we can still end up in the SEC, and the National Championship game, and win it all. Wanna talk about seeing a Gamecock head home in a minute, I will be there that week and wont go back to Georgia until the final parade. GO COCKS!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hypothetical situation

Love your passion and insight, but we gotta wait until the Vandy game to see what the D is made of.

jawja could lose 2 or 3 sec games as we could and UF could. Maybe Tenn starts playing well, too...It's going to be a interesting race to ATL.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Would love for that to happen but it's just not gonna play out like that.
Too many teams are gonna run the table this year. Louisville, Ohio st. And Oregon. And Clemson if we don't beat them.

Even if we did make it to the SEC champ game there will be likely 3 other undefeated
Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
adrianfward
Walk On

Male

adrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaze7683 View Post
So here is the situation as I see it... UGA has another loss against Florida, and we win against Florida, and finish the SEC 7-1, and win the East. UGA finishes with a 10-2 record sitting at home as we play for the title...
Snap...since Saturday, I've been thinking this:

Georgia with a 10-2 record would still win the East, because their other loss would be OOC (Clemson). In order for us to play for the SEC championship, we need to win the rest of our conference games and they need to drop two games within the conference (with the most likely candidates being LSU and Florida).

But I just checked the tie-break rules, and you're totally right. In the event of a three-way tie, once you get far down enough (like, tie-breaker #4 or something), the team with the best overall record wins (where the overall record includes both in-conference and out-of-conference games). So if we win out and Georgia loses to Florida, Georgia and Florida would both be 10-2 and we'd win the division with an 11-1 record. If Georgia loses to LSU but beats Florida, we're out of the SECCG. If Georgia loses to LSU and Florida, high fives for everyone.

I could also imagine this scenario playing out, which would get us to the NCG without playing in the SECCG (I think chances are slim...but it could happen):

Carolina, Georgia, and Clemson all win out (well, Clemson loses to Carolina in November). Carolina finishes the regular season 11-1, with our final win against Clemson. If Clemson wins out (and they could--their only real remaining threat is FSU (and Clemsoning)), they could very possibly be one of the top 2 teams in the country (Bama could lose to A&M this week, Oregon is in for a tough game when they play at Stanford this year). If we manage to win out, we should be around the top 5, and a win over a top 2 team could easily put us in the top 3. Assuming Georgia wins out, they'll be in the SECCG--and at this point, it really doesn't matter what happens in the championship game. If Georgia gets stomped by Bama, A&M, or LSU, we have a fair shot of making the NCG (against another SEC team--but one that we haven't played yet this season). We'd be a one-loss team, with that loss coming early in the season and our most recent victory over a top 3 team. If Georgia wins, things might be trickier because of the whole rematch situation, but I still think the polls could work some magic in our favor.

---

All that being said, we really only have limited control over our own destiny at this point. If we win out, we could still be left out in the cold, depending on how other teams do (both in the SEC and OOC). Our best hope is for every team from other conferences to stumble along the way (so no power conference has an undefeated champion) and hopefully be able to make it as a one-loss SEC team. This would be easier if we end up being SEC champs, but I think it's more realistic that we miss the SECCG and somehow get in as a top-3 team that just beat Clemson.
adrianfward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
adrianfward
Walk On

Male

adrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his clawsadrianfward is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Too many teams are gonna run the table this year. Louisville, Ohio st. And Oregon. And Clemson if we don't beat them.
I'm not convinced that Ohio State will go undefeated. I watched both of their games so far, and they have some issues to take care of. I could see Wisconsin or Michigan beating them (I'm not particularly high on Michigan, but it's at their place, which has historically made a difference). Even Northwestern could give them trouble.

I'm also not convinced that Oregon makes it out unscathed. I'd give Stanford the upper hand in their match-up this year (which would then make Stanford a problem, but oh well).

And I'm not sure that Louisville makes the NCG even if they go undefeated. Rutgers and Cincinnati have already lost, dropping their strength of schedule from "pretty bad" to "absolute crap." Their toughest game this year will probably be UCF.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Uga would need to lose two games and we would need to win out to win the east.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianfward View Post
Snap...since Saturday, I've been thinking this:

Georgia with a 10-2 record would still win the East, because their other loss would be OOC (Clemson). In order for us to play for the SEC championship, we need to win the rest of our conference games and they need to drop two games within the conference (with the most likely candidates being LSU and Florida).

But I just checked the tie-break rules, and you're totally right. In the event of a three-way tie, once you get far down enough (like, tie-breaker #4 or something), the team with the best overall record wins (where the overall record includes both in-conference and out-of-conference games). So if we win out and Georgia loses to Florida, Georgia and Florida would both be 10-2 and we'd win the division with an 11-1 record. If Georgia loses to LSU but beats Florida, we're out of the SECCG. If Georgia loses to LSU and Florida, high fives for everyone.

I could also imagine this scenario playing out, which would get us to the NCG without playing in the SECCG (I think chances are slim...but it could happen):

Carolina, Georgia, and Clemson all win out (well, Clemson loses to Carolina in November). Carolina finishes the regular season 11-1, with our final win against Clemson. If Clemson wins out (and they could--their only real remaining threat is FSU (and Clemsoning)), they could very possibly be one of the top 2 teams in the country (Bama could lose to A&M this week, Oregon is in for a tough game when they play at Stanford this year). If we manage to win out, we should be around the top 5, and a win over a top 2 team could easily put us in the top 3. Assuming Georgia wins out, they'll be in the SECCG--and at this point, it really doesn't matter what happens in the championship game. If Georgia gets stomped by Bama, A&M, or LSU, we have a fair shot of making the NCG (against another SEC team--but one that we haven't played yet this season). We'd be a one-loss team, with that loss coming early in the season and our most recent victory over a top 3 team. If Georgia wins, things might be trickier because of the whole rematch situation, but I still think the polls could work some magic in our favor.

---

All that being said, we really only have limited control over our own destiny at this point. If we win out, we could still be left out in the cold, depending on how other teams do (both in the SEC and OOC). Our best hope is for every team from other conferences to stumble along the way (so no power conference has an undefeated champion) and hopefully be able to make it as a one-loss SEC team. This would be easier if we end up being SEC champs, but I think it's more realistic that we miss the SECCG and somehow get in as a top-3 team that just beat Clemson.
I was also under the impression that Georgia would have to lose 2 (most likely to LSU and Florida) and we would have to win out to make it to the SEC championship. This is really good news if you're right. However, it's probably moot since Georgia is good and Florida kind of sucks. This would also require Florida to lose to us, but not lose to anybody else, which is not likely.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

UGA won't lose to Florida, and Florida will have several loses anyway, there be no 3 way tie. LSU might beat Georgia, but it will be tough since the game will be played in Athens. We've seen this play out the last two years, once they have the advantage over us they don't give it up. Just have to hope someone catches them napping. I doubt it though.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

Any given Saturday, any team can win or lose. So to say that Georgia is all of a sudden immune from losing to Florida, Vandy, Missouri, or Tennessee is not thinking right... I just said Florida as an example, and again, its hypothetical.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

If Georgia and USC do not fix our defenses we are both going to lose 2 to 3 games each.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

A BCS Bowl Victory would be sweet.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
CockyInGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

I'm hoping for a UGA loss at home to LSU then thinking that @Tennessee, @Vandy and heck, even @Auburn all have shots.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Anything can happen. It seems to be shaping up to be a strange year in the SEC. LSU is the only team to to really impress so far. Win anyway.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Two games in, and 10 games later................who knows ? That's the beauty of college football ! Gotta love it..........
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
adrianfward
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I was also under the impression that Georgia would have to lose 2 (most likely to LSU and Florida) and we would have to win out to make it to the SEC championship. This is really good news if you're right. However, it's probably moot since Georgia is good and Florida kind of sucks. This would also require Florida to lose to us, but not lose to anybody else, which is not likely.
Actually, I think you're right and I just misinterpreted the tiebreaking rules (which means my first thought was right, too).

From Wikipedia (which is obviously always right):

Three or more-team tie-breaker procedure:
1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Records against the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Complete record vs. non-division teams.
6. Complete record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but here's what I'm seeing:

Assuming Georgia wins the rest of their games except against Florida, Florida wins the rest of their games except against us, and we win the rest of our games (for the record, I don't think this happens...but the thread is titled "hypothetical situation"):

2. All 3 teams will have the same head-to-head record.
3. All 3 teams will have the same record within the division.
4. All 3 teams will have the same record within the conference, so no team can knock another out by virtue of having a better cross-division conference record.
5. If "non-division" teams means teams from the conference, but not the division, all 3 teams would be undefeated against the SEC-W
6. Doesn't matter, everyone is undefeated against the SEC-W
7. Doesn't matter, same reasons.
8. This matters.

So basically, if the whole Carolina/Georgia/Florida round robin weird-fest happens, we not only have to be the highest team ranked in the BCS at the end of the season, but also have to be at least 6 spots higher than Georgia. If we're assuming Georgia doesn't lose another game in the conference, the only way this happens is if they lose OOC.

So basically, Georgia has to lose to North Texas, App State, or Georgia Tech.

...which I think means the back-door route to the NCG is much more likely, given this hypothetical situation.

In a more realistic hypothetical situation, though, Georgia loses to LSU. They're looking good.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Best case scenario is win out and not go to Atlanta but get a BCS game...of course I hope we make it to ATL but if Gurley stays healthy UGA won't lose 2 SEC games
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaze7683 View Post
Any given Saturday, any team can win or lose. So to say that Georgia is all of a sudden immune from losing to Florida, Vandy, Missouri, or Tennessee is not thinking right... I just said Florida as an example, and again, its hypothetical.
Yes. Georgia and the taters have lousy defenses....sooner or later their offense is not going to have a good game, but their defense will have given up too many points to win. Georgia could easily lose 2 SEC games....the taters could easily lose 2 ACC games. Even if a team like Louisville goes undefeated, their strength will kill them.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday View Post
Best case scenario is win out and not go to Atlanta but get a BCS game...of course I hope we make it to ATL but if Gurley stays healthy UGA won't lose 2 SEC games
did you think they were going to lose to the taters.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
did you think they were going to lose to the taters.....
No I thought they would win but in your opinion will the lose two SEC games?
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

It's possible that we could be like what Florida did. Didn't go to Atlanta but still got a BCS bid where UGA didn't.

If this happens to us lets hope and pray we don't play like UF did haha
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote