CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
ertman420
spareparts
MWard
Cunningham wants to (1335)
ESPN article on Clow (1029)
Clemson Georgia Game (812)
Mangus now coaching (552)
Can Tennessee get to (400)
Chick Redefines the (268)
Spread vs. aTm (227)
Truly Inspiring (210)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (197)
The Bama series (196)
2 Crazy things
Mangus now coaching TEs
The Bama series
2015 - Davon Durant
2015 - Taj Griffin
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Playstation 4
ESPN article on Clowney -


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Order 66
2nd Team All-American
 
Order 66's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cayce
Posts: 8,344
CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material
Default Cooper and Rainey

Would these two guys help us more on defense right now? Rainey is doing nothing for us as a 4th string TE, he spent all of spring ball as a LB and showed out. Cooper will not contribute at WR in this offense right now, imo. He could make an immediate impact at DB.
__________________
CU is in Colorado, Death Valley is in Louisiana, and THE state university in South Carolina is, and always will be, THE University of South Carolina. Tweet that....
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Schecter
Banned
 
Schecter's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: around
Posts: 2,483
CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Would these two guys help us more on defense right now? Rainey is doing nothing for us as a 4th string TE, he spent all of spring ball as a LB and showed out. Cooper will not contribute at WR in this offense right now, imo. He could make an immediate impact at DB.
I'll try and forward the memo to Spurrier.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
4gamecockfb
Starter
 
4gamecockfb's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Between the rivers
Posts: 1,345
CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

I could see rainey
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
gin house
Blue Chip
 
gin house's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: oconee county
Posts: 551
CockyCash: 500
gin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spursgin house has earned his spurs
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Id have to think if Rainey looked better than the others in the summer he would be playing linebacker, not 4th string tight end.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American
 
crowcutta's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: land de la rich
Posts: 7,772
CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

rainey i dont think so. we cleaned up a lot of the first half issues on run defense in the 2nd half as far as their running game leading to them getting points. we got them into the 3rd and longs that we wanted, but we had too many coverage screwups in those obvious passing situations.

a lot of the talk this week is about getting in the right positions, communicating, everybody getting on the same page. doing your job first and foremost, following your keys, getting right technique wise and executing the gameplan. other than that i think getting healthy is the big thing we need. i dont think theres a position switch that will immediately help the defense.

im really hoping ced cooper and jj marcus will solidify the unit. at this point im concerned about us not using a nickel defense. we dont have the personnel we did last year to be as versatile, but in those obvious passing situations id like to see us challenge more wr's across the board. we made it so easy on the opposing qb and his wr's last week.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Regalcock
Fawlless
 
Regalcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Castle Anthrax
Posts: 12,610
CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

From what i have seen we are going to have to play more man so we can stop the run.
__________________
Regalcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N
 
Acockolypse Now's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 13,888
CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

If Rainey would have showed out at LB he'd still be there.

He was out of position a lot over the Spring, had a hard time learning the schemes, and got moved back to TE once Coop looked healthy.

They might move him back if we continue to struggle, but don't think he's a magic bullet.
__________________
Always remember... stay Feisty.
Acockolypse Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,053
CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Would these two guys help us more on defense right now? Rainey is doing nothing for us as a 4th string TE, he spent all of spring ball as a LB and showed out. Cooper will not contribute at WR in this offense right now, imo. He could make an immediate impact at DB.
Who knows?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,053
CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
If Rainey would have showed out at LB he'd still be there.

He was out of position a lot over the Spring, had a hard time learning the schemes, and got moved back to TE once Coop looked healthy.

They might move him back if we continue to struggle, but don't think he's a magic bullet.
Although Rainey is a good LB, I think the move was just temporary until we go more linebackers to practice with. He wanted to be TE when he came here and we told he could.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC
 
CarolinaGnB521's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,547
CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Although Rainey is a good LB, I think the move was just temporary until we go more linebackers to practice with. He wanted to be TE when he came here and we told he could.
He also said that he would play anywhere that got him on the field. A lot of these guys that are capable of playing multiple positions come in to school wanting to play a certain one - then end up realizing the quickest way for them to make an impact may be to play another.

I think if you'd ask Rainey today he would tell you he will play any position that lets him see the field. However, while our LB depth may be young and inexperienced, Rainey doesn't improve that. He would also be young and inexperienced - and it's not like our LB's have played terribly. Skai Moore, Kawain Lewis have been very good, and with Cooper coming back, while they are still young, I can live with their performances.

It is primarily DB as a whole that needs the work out. There is simply no excuse for Ahmad Christian, Jimmy Legree, Victor Hampton and Brison Williams to not know the playbook and correct checks by now. Brison, Vic, and Jimmy have a full year of starting under their belt and another year of quality play time as reserves. While Ahmad doesn't have either of those qualities, he's been here for a while. TJ Gurley, Kadetrix (JJ) Marcus also should be familiar with the coverages/checks but they lack the quality play time.

Pharroh Cooper could've made an immediate impact as a DB at Carolina. If he had come in as a DB, he would've had time to at least get the majority of coverages down. His athletic ability would've helped him a lot and saved him from mistakes, much like Jamari Smith's did in scrimmages. While I don't know if he could've been a starter - Cooper, like Smith, could've definitely been on the 2-Deep. And while this doesn't help the young, inexperience level of the 2-Deep - it does give you more options at DB if there happens to be issues during a game.
__________________
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC
 
Goofyboy's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sumter
Posts: 2,608
CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

I'd like to see Rainey get a handoff on the one with his height, size, and 35' vertical. I've seen that play making a comeback lately with the tailbacks who can fly. He will likely offer a lot at TE or Hback going forward, but we have a couple of TE's coming in next year.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,053
CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
He also said that he would play anywhere that got him on the field. A lot of these guys that are capable of playing multiple positions come in to school wanting to play a certain one - then end up realizing the quickest way for them to make an impact may be to play another.

I think if you'd ask Rainey today he would tell you he will play any position that lets him see the field. However, while our LB depth may be young and inexperienced, Rainey doesn't improve that. He would also be young and inexperienced - and it's not like our LB's have played terribly. Skai Moore, Kawain Lewis have been very good, and with Cooper coming back, while they are still young, I can live with their performances.

It is primarily DB as a whole that needs the work out. There is simply no excuse for Ahmad Christian, Jimmy Legree, Victor Hampton and Brison Williams to not know the playbook and correct checks by now. Brison, Vic, and Jimmy have a full year of starting under their belt and another year of quality play time as reserves. While Ahmad doesn't have either of those qualities, he's been here for a while. TJ Gurley, Kadetrix (JJ) Marcus also should be familiar with the coverages/checks but they lack the quality play time.

Pharroh Cooper could've made an immediate impact as a DB at Carolina. If he had come in as a DB, he would've had time to at least get the majority of coverages down. His athletic ability would've helped him a lot and saved him from mistakes, much like Jamari Smith's did in scrimmages. While I don't know if he could've been a starter - Cooper, like Smith, could've definitely been on the 2-Deep. And while this doesn't help the young, inexperience level of the 2-Deep - it does give you more options at DB if there happens to be issues during a game.
I know, I am just saying it might be too early for him to move positions and he has not given up on being a TE yet.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC
 
CarolinaGnB521's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,547
CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I'd like to see Rainey get a handoff on the one with his height, size, and 35' vertical. I've seen that play making a comeback lately with the tailbacks who can fly. He will likely offer a lot at TE or Hback going forward, but we have a couple of TE's coming in next year.
Exactly. Moving Rainey to LB is pointless unless Ward/Spurrier feel like he can make an immediate impact. With the depth at LB we plan on having in a year or two, Rainey would be lost in it as well.

Rainey is simply going to have to wait patiently for PT at TE or possibly even FB/HBack.
__________________
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik
 
CoverTwo's Avatar
 
Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 33,719
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Cooper is going to be too good with the ball in his hands to move back to defense. Learning the offense is going to take time though. They need to come up with some sort of "injury" that gets him a medical RS.
__________________
Follow @CTProvingGround on Twitter!

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
MillerTime843
Banned
 
MillerTime843's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Murrells Inlet
Posts: 4,870
CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Trust the visor
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
dieselcock
Blue Chip
 
dieselcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: j-town
Posts: 517
CockyCash: 500
dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

would love to see Rainey and maybe Salley moved to an H-back..both are talented guys and I really miss a guy like DiMarco making plays from that position...Seems like if Cooper is dangerous with the ball inhis hands they would at least have 4-5 plays with him on the field,that being said I think Adams is the biggest missing link we have..Coaches make the big bucks for a reason,but I just don't understand why we have not utilized Adams...
__________________
dieselcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #17
b381l
Heisman Candidate
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 19,863
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcock View Post
would love to see Rainey and maybe Salley moved to an H-back..both are talented guys and I really miss a guy like DiMarco making plays from that position...Seems like if Cooper is dangerous with the ball inhis hands they would at least have 4-5 plays with him on the field,that being said I think Adams is the biggest missing link we have..Coaches make the big bucks for a reason,but I just don't understand why we have not utilized Adams...
Salley is too small to play HB
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Order 66
2nd Team All-American
 
Order 66's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cayce
Posts: 8,344
CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Rainey must have looked pretty bad at LB even with a few picks over the spring/summer given where we are at LB right now.

I can understand Coop at least getting a shot on offense first, but Rainey is behind 3 TE's who we don't hardly get to pass the ball to anyways. It just seems like we don't have as many options on defense as we have had in the past, especially at linebacker.
__________________
CU is in Colorado, Death Valley is in Louisiana, and THE state university in South Carolina is, and always will be, THE University of South Carolina. Tweet that....
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
henmania
Game MVP
 
henmania's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,567
CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Rainey must have looked pretty bad at LB even with a few picks over the spring/summer given where we are at LB right now.

I can understand Coop at least getting a shot on offense first, but Rainey is behind 3 TE's who we don't hardly get to pass the ball to anyways. It just seems like we don't have as many options on defense as we have had in the past, especially at linebacker.
They moved Rainey back because he was a very poor tackler.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #20
dieselcock
Blue Chip
 
dieselcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: j-town
Posts: 517
CockyCash: 500
dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in
Default Re: Cooper and Rainey

Yeah,I guess Salley is to small....I don't know why I was thinking he was in the 220lb range....I'd still like to see Rainey.DiMarco was a freaking beast there for us and made some huge plays.
__________________
dieselcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development