CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Latti
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Spurrier was Embaras (3596)
More David Williams (3248)
ECU is a good team (3038)
Is it possible for o (2505)
Spurrier not happy s (2419)
Gameday in Columbia (1708)
Polls (1412)
Curse of the Chicken (1271)
Tonight's ugly win w (1231)
Our wide receivers w (1041)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Tonight's ugly win was in
D line pressure
Gameday Sign Ideas
Polls
Spurrier not happy so why
Gameday in Columbia
ECU
Is it possible for our Sp
Hardest Schedule

Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Fall Scrimmages start this Weekend

Like the title says, Fall Scrimmages start this weekend. This team seems to have a different look to it, and it should be a fun fall and spring-camp to watch before the season starts back up.

A few position battles/analysis that I'm going to be looking to hear about:

C: The past few seasons we've only carried 3 catchers ever on the full 35 man roster. Those have been Dante Rosenberg, Pat Harrington, and Grayson Greiner. This season a healthy Ray Murphy, and new comer Logan Koch, look to add some pressure on Pat Harrington for a roster spot. In the end we may end up keeping all 4 due to multiple showing the ability to play different positions.

1B: We were spoiled with LB Dantzler and Christian Walker carrying the big bats over at first the past few years and it's time for someone else to take over the position. Kyle Martin, Brison Celek will dual it out for who should get the majority starts at 1B. I'm sure there will be some freshmen in there trying to make a case, but I would be surprised if anyone surpassed either one of these 2.

2B: With Schrock hurt it'll be interesting to see who gets the reps at 2B in the fall. Connor Bright, Jordan Gore, Marcus Mooney, and DC Arendas have all been known to take balls at 2B. Gore and Mooney are new comers who are also competing for a job as the starting SS.

SS: Like I already mentioned, Gore and Mooney will be competing with DC Arendas and Matt Williams for the job at SS. Gore, Mooney, and Williams are all new to the program. While you'd think Arendas would have the upper hand at the position, I've heard nothing but raving reviews of Marcus Mooney, brother of former Gamecock Peter Mooney. He's suppose to be the real deal defensively.

3B: Joey Pankake has moved to 3B for the time being, and looks to be the sure-fire 3B unless other moves are made now with the dismissal of Graham Saiko. Elliott Caldwell and Matt Williams should also see some time at 3B this fall.

OF: The removal of Graham Saiko really opens up a lot of options for the club. TJ Costen and Graham Saiko were two guys that really could've made an impact this season, and now that both of them are gone, the outfield may have a new look to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gene Cone, Jae Roberts, Elliott Caldwell, Joey Pankake, Pat Harrington, Connor Bright, Zach Madden, Brock Maxwell, and Anthony Paulsen (I may be missing a few) get a lot of action in LF and RF. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Maxwell and Cone get some action in CF with Tanner English either.

P: With Webb, Westmorland, and Belcher gone a lone - we've removed a tone of crucial innings for last season. The fall isn't meaningless by any means, but we've seen players, pitchers in specifics, struggle in the fall then deal in the spring. Here is to hoping that Fiori, Beal, Wynkoop, and Montgomery look to be the real deal because those 4 should be some of the top go-to guys this year. Wil Crowe looks to be the real deal as well. The search to find another starter (along with Jack and Jordan) is on. While I don't have much information about the new-comers, I've heard nothing but positives about them. Pitching is one of those positions that you really have to see against a batter to get a judge about them anyway. It's easy to say a kid looks great throwing a pen when there is no penalty for bad pitches.

Take my opinion and outlook as it is. I'm no genius but I feel like I know baseball pretty good.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fall Scrimmages start this Weekend

Anyone know the schedule ?
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell

No matter what happens, I still feel like we have the talent on our roster to get back to Omaha. Should have been in it last year.
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Anyone know the schedule ?

I just checked the team's twitter feed and nothing has been posted yet. Last year that was the best place to get updates on fall ball.

GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

There is a possibility Friday scrimmages will be closed, because of the construction going on . If Wil Crowe pitches Friday, I may be peeping through the fence .
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Times announced .

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...091113aaa.html
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Things I noticed:

Matt Williams took balls at 3B, SS, and 2B.
Connor Bright took balls at 3B, 2B, OF.
Marcus Mooney took balls at SS, and 2B.
Elliott Caldwell can rake....hit NUMEROUS jacks to WAY up the bleachers.
Joey Pankake took some balls at 3B and the OF, along with Pitching this weekend.
The competition at SS is really close between Arendas, Gore, Mooney. Gore is making himself known as a pitcher and hitter.
With Max still resting his back, it's an interesting competition at 2B right now (Bright, Mooney, Arendas, Gore, Williams)

After the first weekend of scrimmages I'd say right now that my lineup (2deep) would be:

P - Montgomery/Wynkoop/<still unknown>
C - Greiner/Murphy
1B - Martin/Celek
2B - Shrock (inj.)/Mooney OR Arendas
3B - Pankake/Caldwell
SS - Mooney/Arendas OR Gore
LF - Caldwell/Pankake
CF - English/Cone
RF - Maxwell/Bright
DH - Bright OR Celek

I don't recall scores, but the bats were alive today at least...

Useless info: Christian Walker, Dante Rosenburg, John Taylor were in attendance.