CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
doubledribble
GregoryHouse
gamecockgal
JaxcockFL
crowcutta
Has the window close (1062)
Bruce!!! (920)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (742)
Kentucky is dominati (670)
Question for those w (606)
UFC Fight Night 58: (448)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (286)
Going to the Duck Bo (218)
This one gets better (199)
2014 Subway Classic: (171)
Streaming nfl games
My early Monday dinner .
Bruce!!!
Madden Connected Franchis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
SOLID OAK ENTERTAINMENT C
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Question...since Spurrier didn't tell the other

FSU assistant Scott not to take the South Carolina job...well we got stuck. My question is, does anyone remember who the other coaches were in line at the time and how they ended up? What kind of team would we have had then if one of the others had gotten the job. We were probably turned down by a few but I don't remember. I know some of you know this.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question...since Spurrier didn't tell the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
FSU assistant Scott not to take the South Carolina job...well we got stuck. My question is, does anyone remember who the other coaches were in line at the time and how they ended up? What kind of team would we have had then if one of the others had gotten the job. We were probably turned down by a few but I don't remember. I know some of you know this.
This is pretty much an impossible question to answer. How the heck is anyone suppose to have a definite answer or even remotely ideal opinion on how this team would've turned out had Spurrier not taken the job and another candidate did?!

That's like saying, hey guys...if George Washington wasn't the first president, what would've been different now?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
This is pretty much an impossible question to answer. How the heck is anyone suppose to have a definite answer or even remotely ideal opinion on how this team would've turned out had Spurrier not taken the job and another candidate did?!

That's like saying, hey guys...if George Washington wasn't the first president, what would've been different now?
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

We wouldn't be winning as much if that is what your asking. Without Spurrier, there would have been no Lattimore, Gilmore, Shaw, Clowney or even a top 10 ranking.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Spurrier brought with him a name recruits recognized and the coaching skills to back it up.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i think he was just asking who were the other coaching candidates other than brad scott when he got hired if im not mistaken. im not sure what spurrier would have had to do with it since he was at florida.
my memory isnt good enough to know any other candidates.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
superfly
Game MVP

Male

superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post

I wasn't being serious...you have some real problems....no wonder you spend so much time on here. I know you must be a pure delight (sarcasm) in real life. Hey maybe that's the problem...no real life.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
superfly
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i think he was just asking who were the other coaching candidates other than brad scott when he got hired if im not mistaken. im not sure what spurrier would have had to do with it since he was at florida.
my memory isnt good enough to know any other candidates.
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner ! I thought if anyone did Spurticus would !
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

I thought the others were basically unbased rumors and part of the reason Lou was leaving when he did was because he knew Spurrier would take over...I remember reading this somewhere awhile ago...I think it was one of Lou's books.
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

if we are talking about after sparky woods got fired the finalists according to a sun sentinel article were sc defensive coordinator miles aldridge, former pitt coach and current espn analyst mike gottfried, and brad scott. gottfried's on the fbs level ended up with mediocre records though i like him as an analyst. cant really tell you how we would have looked. seemed like a paltry selection other than scott, which may have been because scott was the guy we were after all along.

scott was a hot name at the time with fsu being in the top 4 every season, im not sure there was a bigger name on our radar.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Charlie Weis
Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
superfly
Game MVP

Male

I just answered one of my own questions...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...ckson-carolina

Speculation is swirling in South Carolina that school officials will pursue Erickson as their new coach.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
pitchcock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Seems like I remember the guy from Air Force (was it Fisher Deberry?) was a candidate, along with the before mentioned Gottfried.

Seems like I also remember when Bobby Bowden was asked for a recommendation for a coach off of his staff, he tossed Fat Brad out there instead of recommending Mark Richt.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Who can forget Scott's teary-eyed, voice-quivering press conference in which he promised to always support the current Gamecock players. A day or two later, he drove a University vehicle, stole the South Carolina recruiting book, and took those up to Clemson and went to work for Bowden.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

All i know is, if Mike leach had taken the job, we'd have 10 national titles in 9 years.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
I just answered one of my own questions...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...ckson-carolina

Speculation is swirling in South Carolina that school officials will pursue Erickson as their new coach.
It was a wild day at the Athletic Department when he came to town.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 202732
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I am so confused.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
803scdantes
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material

Quote:
This entire post makes no sense anyways because Spurrier told Richt not to take the Georgia job and he did anyways. Even is Spurrier told Scott not to take the SC job, he would have anyways.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
I am so confused.
There is a lot of that going around lately. But suck it up, there is a light at the end of the tunnel or so I'm told. I'll keep looking and maybe I'll see it in the next game. Meanwhile, I'll keep the faith in the HBC.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
superfly
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
This entire post makes no sense anyways because Spurrier told Richt not to take the Georgia job and he did anyways. Even is Spurrier told Scott not to take the SC job, he would have anyways.
Geez..do you guys not grasp tongue in cheek sacasm? Wow