CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Spurticus
Kyle76
b381l
The Demise of the 3- (2399)
East Carolina Predic (1621)
Why didn't Wes Green (1325)
A&M on 3rd down (691)
You guys are horribl (628)
Finally Cooled Off (580)
louisville (518)
Did we ever go after (517)
It's the offenses no (438)
Watching the Georgia (254)
2015 - Amonte Caban
All of our defensive play
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
A&M on 3rd down
The Demise of the 3-4
Finally Cooled Off
Uniform thread
Recruiting Question
louisville
Watching the Georgia game

Old 09-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
MitchConners
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
MitchConners has feathers coming inMitchConners has feathers coming in
Default Where did "Whammy" come from?

How did our DC get the nickname?
MitchConners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where did "Whammy" come from?

He was a player at Alabama and his room mate started to call him that.
Quote:
And, yes, he's always going to be "Whammy," a nickname that originated with his college roommate, who joked that Ward looked like the Whammy character that would pop up on the "Press Your Luck" game show." Then one day in practice, Ward delivered a big hit on somebody, prompting then-Alabama coach Bill Curry to say, "Lorenzo, you whammed that guy!"
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...e-whammy-touch
Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

he had one INT his entire career so, he likes to let tehm catch it and then smash them, Imo, this is why our DBs NEVER pick anyone off. They are coached that way. Urban Liar caoches differently...while at UF, they led the nation in INTs.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
he had one INT his entire career so, he likes to let tehm catch it and then smash them, Imo, this is why our DBs NEVER pick anyone off. They are coached that way. Urban Liar caoches differently...while at UF, they led the nation in INTs.
We never pick guys off?

We've had 32 picks in the past 2 seasons...
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
We never pick guys off?

We've had 32 picks in the past 2 seasons...
Yea I was about to say didn't we lead the nation two years ago?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

I said our DBs. 8 is all they had last year with that DL. Not near enough imo, NONE so far this year.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I said our DBs. 8 is all they had last year with that DL. Not near enough imo, NONE so far this year.
Again, our DB's (not including the Spur, which is a DB in some plays) had 19 INT's in the past 2 years.

2011:

Swearinger - 3
Gilmore - 3
Whitlock - 3
Holloman - 1

2012 (Add 3 by Holloman if you want to include Spur stats):

Swearinger - 2
Williams - 2
Legree - 2
Hampton - 1
Auguste - 1
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

OK, let's not argue about stats. So Whammy eh? Nice.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit
Default Where did "Whammy" come from?

I've been sort of campaigning for Whammy to take over the program after Spurrier, then the defensive debacle at uga. I'm a lot more concerned with Botkin/Adams situation than the players, so I'm very interested in how Whammy handles this adversity before I continue his "campaign".
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
I've been sort of campaigning for Whammy to take over the program after Spurrier, then the defensive debacle at uga. I'm a lot more concerned with Botkin/Adams situation than the players, so I'm very interested in how Whammy handles this adversity before I continue his "campaign".
There is only so much he could've done Saturday against Georgia. I mean, he can literally only put players in position to succeed. He can't go out there and make the interception, sack, or tackle himself.

The core of the defensive is young - hence the bad play. We've lost the heart and soul of the defense from the past 2 years. Any time you lose guys like:

- Stephon Gilmore
- Melvin Ingram
- DeVonte Holloman
- DJ Swearinger
- Chris Culliver
- Akeem Auguste
- Quin Smith
- DeMario Jeffery
- Reggie Bowens
- Shaq Wilson
- Devin Taylor
- Byron Jerideau
- CC Whitlock
- Aldrick Fordham

All of whom were crucial parts of the dominant defenses of '11 and '12, and replace them with true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or sophmores, there is going to be a slight (or major) difference in the overall defense.

So while we could have (if eveyone played to full potential) one of the best defensive line's in the country - we're still very young at LB and do not have the greatest depth at LB or DB. This on top of injuries - and playing at one of the best offenses in the SEC is a train wreck waiting to happen.

And even though we were dominated by Todd Gurley and Aaron Murray - we only lost by 11 points. There were a few BIG plays that killed us, but as bad defensively as we played, we were still in this game in the 4th quarter.

I'm not worried about Ward's scheme. It's proven to work given everyone does their job. As long as Botkin and Adams continue to teach their respective posistion groups on how to work together, and how to make the right adjustments we should see improvement within the defense week in and week out.

Now, don't get me wrong - our DB's need to make some adjustments as well. This is a group that has been through some injury trouble with TJ Gurley coming back from a torn ACL, Rico McWilliams coming back from a torn ACL, Kadetrix Marcus coming back from a shoulder injury - not to mention Vic Hampton coming back from suspension in the Georgia game (who played very well in the 2nd half) and Ahmad Christian who missed all the of spring due to baseball.

While that is no excuse for their poor play, they weren't 100% as of the Georgia game. I'm eager to see the true defense come play this week against Vanderbilt. If we play bad against a team we should easily be, then I would agree there is room for concern. I think it's way to early in Ward's career here at Carolina for anyone to start questioning him. He's been at Carolina for 5 seasons now and we've really only had 1 year of terrible pass defense (2010) since he was in charge of DB's. In his 15 games in charge of the defense, he is 14-3 with his 3 losses coming to only ranked teams on the road. I don't see a problem with Ward - and think you should definitely continue your campaign.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
There is only so much he could've done Saturday against Georgia. I mean, he can literally only put players in position to succeed. He can't go out there and make the interception, sack, or tackle himself.
That was exactly one of the problems we had. The players weren't in the right position.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Quote:

The core of the defensive is young - hence the bad play. We've lost the heart and soul of the defense from the past 2 years. Any time you lose guys like:

- Stephon Gilmore
- Melvin Ingram
- DeVonte Holloman
- DJ Swearinger
- Chris Culliver
- Akeem Auguste
- Quin Smith
- DeMario Jeffery
- Reggie Bowens
- Shaq Wilson
- Devin Taylor
- Byron Jerideau
- CC Whitlock
- Aldrick Fordham

All of whom were crucial parts of the dominant defenses of '11 and '12, and replace them with true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or sophmores, there is going to be a slight (or major) difference in the overall defense.

So while we could have (if eveyone played to full potential) one of the best defensive line's in the country - we're still very young at LB and do not have the greatest depth at LB or DB. This on top of injuries - and playing at one of the best offenses in the SEC is a train wreck waiting to happen.

And even though we were dominated by Todd Gurley and Aaron Murray - we only lost by 11 points. There were a few BIG plays that killed us, but as bad defensively as we played, we were still in this game in the 4th quarter.

I'm not worried about Ward's scheme. It's proven to work given everyone does their job. As long as Botkin and Adams continue to teach their respective posistion groups on how to work together, and how to make the right adjustments we should see improvement within the defense week in and week out.

Now, don't get me wrong - our DB's need to make some adjustments as well. This is a group that has been through some injury trouble with TJ Gurley coming back from a torn ACL, Rico McWilliams coming back from a torn ACL, Kadetrix Marcus coming back from a shoulder injury - not to mention Vic Hampton coming back from suspension in the Georgia game (who played very well in the 2nd half) and Ahmad Christian who missed all the of spring due to baseball.

While that is no excuse for their poor play, they weren't 100% as of the Georgia game. I'm eager to see the true defense come play this week against Vanderbilt. If we play bad against a team we should easily be, then I would agree there is room for concern. I think it's way to early in Ward's career here at Carolina for anyone to start questioning him. He's been at Carolina for 5 seasons now and we've really only had 1 year of terrible pass defense (2010) since he was in charge of DB's. In his 15 games in charge of the defense, he is 14-3 with his 3 losses coming to only ranked teams on the road. I don't see a problem with Ward - and think you should definitely continue your campaign.
"no excuse for poor play" although this is Spurriers motto, at least the "No excuses" part. Then why so many excuses? Just read where they aren't happy with Golightly or Christian. It was obvious to me from the get go that those guys can't cover or tackle, why couldn't they see this? No plan "B"?

We had years to get ready for the turnover on D ..ex).signed no LBs for 2 years and then signed 0 J.C.'ers and imo, I don't think who they did sign are being coached up. Either that or the guy who is head of recruiting ain't doing his job. If we want to be big time, we need more big time asst. coaches, imo.

Man. Living in Georgia sucks.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
cold_point_rooster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 34000
cold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his claws

Quote:
"no excuse for poor play" although this is Spurriers motto, at least the "No excuses" part. Then why so many excuses? Just read where they aren't happy with Golightly or Christian. It was obvious to me from the get go that those guys can't cover or tackle, why couldn't they see this? No plan "B"?

We had years to get ready for the turnover on D ..ex).signed no LBs for 2 years and then signed 0 J.C.'ers and imo, I don't think who they did sign are being coached up. Either that or the guy who is head of recruiting ain't doing his job. If we want to be big time, we need more big time asst. coaches, imo.

^^^^ this is one man that has opened his eyes ^^^
Points to you sir....
cold_point_rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

I thought Ward had a recurring role on a popular game show from the '80s. Oh well, I guess this proves we can all learn something every day.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:

This is a great post. Besides if we are building a supposed "program" there is no time to reload. Look at Bama and LSU, they bring in freshmen and they are expected to play at an acceptable level right off the bat. None of this "learning curve" crap to be elite.

Let's face it, over the past couple of seasons we have all grown accustomed to being top ten, but we are all hungry for more. To be "more" you can't have slack ass weeks and blame it on inexperience. You have to have studs in there all the time, whether they have experience or not.

We have time to fix it this season, but it must be done quickly. No more excuses.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

I heard it was because he was all about having fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in him; start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to Sea World and take his pants off?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaddy1847 View Post
This is a great post. Besides if we are building a supposed "program" there is no time to reload. Look at Bama and LSU, they bring in freshmen and they are expected to play at an acceptable level right off the bat. None of this "learning curve" crap to be elite.

Let's face it, over the past couple of seasons we have all grown accustomed to being top ten, but we are all hungry for more. To be "more" you can't have slack ass weeks and blame it on inexperience. You have to have studs in there all the time, whether they have experience or not.

We have time to fix it this season, but it must be done quickly. No more excuses.
I hate to break it to those that believe we are, but we're not Alabama, LSU, or Florida.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
searooster
Walk On

Male

searooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his claws

So you're using LSU as an example, the team that lost to the orange clad girly boys that we've absolutely dominated 4 years in a row.
searooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Gene Tenace to the plate aaaaaannddd WHAMMY!!!
ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hate to break it to those that believe we are, but we're not Alabama, LSU, or Florida.
This is beside the point. A lot of the guys we sign are guys that are targeted by the three schools you named, but your post suggests that if the young players we put on the field were to go to one of those other schools, then they would magically be expected to produce at a higher level than they are here. Does that honestly make sense to you?

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote