CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
Spurticus
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
JerseyBird
uscgamecocks88
MWard
Sindarius Thornwell (976)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (701)
Well gameday just go (500)
Happy Birthday, Coac (450)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (398)
Your most famous twi (331)
Unsung Hero (256)
South Carolina @ Aub (251)
Softball takes final (158)
Athlon Ranks the SEC (150)
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Athlon Ranks the SEC's QB
17 Ridiculous Kitchen Gad
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Season Rankings Thread...
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Connor Mitch
Burger Kings angry whoppe
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb
Default Perspective Headed Into Vandy

So it's been almost a whole week. I confess, after last Saturday, I almost succumbed to the seemingly contagious Chicken Little syndrome going around this site. Threads like "is our special season done" seemed reasonable. That game disappointed me so much because I -- perhaps foolishly -- expected to win. I really thought we were better, largely because of our fantastic defense.

Our defense was not fantastic. Clowney played reasonably well, in the sense that he ate up blockers and dictated UGA to play away from him most of the game. I fully expected Sutton to step up and the linebackers to be decent. I also expected the secondary to force Murray to pull the ball down, allowing our DL to get to him. As so-so as DL and linebackers were, the secondary was atrocious. Did I mention Gurley ran all over us?

So then I pulled up the box score of our 45-42 showdown in Athens two years ago. Wow. We gave up 436 yards that day. Crowell averaged 7.4 a carry -- more than Gurley last week. We gave up 42 points -- more than last week. We scored two defensive touchdowns and scored another one when our defensive end ran 68 yards on a fake punt.

And yet no one panicked. Maybe some sophisticated football minds expressed some concern, but the vast majority of us thought our team was rock solid. And, despite that game, it turned out the optimism wasn't misplaced. That team ended up manhandling Clemson, producing our first consensus All-American in decades, and winning 11 games for the first time in school history.

But make no mistake -- that team got shredded at Sanford and needed some incredible breaks to come away with a win. And through the lens of a win, everything was great.

Point being, the outcome overly colors the impression of the game and the team. Was last week terrible? Yeah. Does it mean we can't have a great season? No. Do we need to improve? Sure. The bottom line -- give the negativity a rest, because one game really doesn't mean much.

There is no reason this season can't turn out as well as the last two. I look forward to watching our team handle Vandy tomorrow. Go Cocks!
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 47813
CackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPit
Default Re: Perspective Headed Into Vandy

Well said

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Today's game is huge. If we can play well, that would go a long way to restoring the team's confidence and help us all forget about last week. The important thing to remember is that we can't win 10 games tomorrow. It's all about staying in the moment and playing with focus....one play at a time, one game at a time.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Today's game is huge. If we can play well, that would go a long way to restoring the team's confidence and help us all forget about last week. The important thing to remember is that we can't win 10 games tomorrow. It's all about staying in the moment and playing with focus....one play at a time, one game at a time.
stay focus
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Anyone who looked at our young D and then looked accross at UGA's offense and didn't see a rough game coming was in denial.

Let's hope the UGA game was a growing up game for our young guys on defense and getting beat like that has changed them for the better.

Let's also suck it up if our defense struggles again today....I have no doubts they'll be playing their best regardless of what Vandy does.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Anyone who looked at our young D and then looked accross at UGA's offense and didn't see a rough game coming was in denial.

Let's hope the UGA game was a growing up game for our young guys on defense and getting beat like that has changed them for the better.

Let's also suck it up if our defense struggles again today....I have no doubts they'll be playing their best regardless of what Vandy does.
The defense must show dramatic improvement tonight, or it truly will be a long season.

I'm hoping for the best. A blowout by us would be great, but I'm expecting good, solid play on both sides of the ball. No matter if we win by 1 or 50, just as long as we win.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Point being, the outcome overly colors the impression of the game and the team. Was last week terrible? Yeah. Does it mean we can't have a great season? No. Do we need to improve? Sure. The bottom line -- give the negativity a rest, because one game really doesn't mean much.
When you lose to jawja, it does mean a lot. Especially being a divisional game.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
So it's been almost a whole week. I confess, after last Saturday, I almost succumbed to the seemingly contagious Chicken Little syndrome going around this site. Threads like "is our special season done" seemed reasonable. That game disappointed me so much because I -- perhaps foolishly -- expected to win. I really thought we were better, largely because of our fantastic defense.

Our defense was not fantastic. Clowney played reasonably well, in the sense that he ate up blockers and dictated UGA to play away from him most of the game. I fully expected Sutton to step up and the linebackers to be decent. I also expected the secondary to force Murray to pull the ball down, allowing our DL to get to him. As so-so as DL and linebackers were, the secondary was atrocious. Did I mention Gurley ran all over us?

So then I pulled up the box score of our 45-42 showdown in Athens two years ago. Wow. We gave up 436 yards that day. Crowell averaged 7.4 a carry -- more than Gurley last week. We gave up 42 points -- more than last week. We scored two defensive touchdowns and scored another one when our defensive end ran 68 yards on a fake punt.

And yet no one panicked. Maybe some sophisticated football minds expressed some concern, but the vast majority of us thought our team was rock solid. And, despite that game, it turned out the optimism wasn't misplaced. That team ended up manhandling Clemson, producing our first consensus All-American in decades, and winning 11 games for the first time in school history.

But make no mistake -- that team got shredded at Sanford and needed some incredible breaks to come away with a win. And through the lens of a win, everything was great.

There is no reason this season can't turn out as well as the last two. I look forward to watching our team handle Vandy tomorrow. Go Cocks!
They didn't panic because we pulled out a win. This time we didn't, but the season is far from over and we can do a lot of good things. Good post.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 397
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
They didn't panic because we pulled out a win. This time we didn't, but the season is far from over and we can do a lot of good things. Good post.
Good point, trapper! A win will salve the worst wounds. Play better defense and keep the offense rolling. Protect the ball and create turnovers. A great formula to be successful.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

different expectations this year that is the reason for the depression
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
different expectations this year that is the reason for the depression
Expectations that may not have been realistic.

Now if you revise your expectations, you'll likely lose your reason for depression.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post

Point being, the outcome overly colors the impression of the game and the team. Was last week terrible? Yeah. Does it mean we can't have a great season? No.

Do we need to improve? Sure. The bottom line -- give the negativity a rest, because one game really doesn't mean much.

Thank you for saying this.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote