CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Outland
MDF DUST
MountainCock
QCB
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
taylorssc
The Gator Bowl wants (2136)
In-state QB talent (968)
Texas athletic direc (804)
Rank the QBs under S (781)
Which loss hurt wors (763)
Ranking the SEC Foot (689)
BA ranks recruiting (512)
Google finally gets (447)
Who start on the d l (376)
lack of production= (376)
Ranking the SEC Football
Five Upstate High School
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Does South Carolina still
So Disappointed With The
lack of production=
Google finally gets it ri
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Exclamation Cack's Toast Of The Game: Vandy

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but we beat a pretty dang good Vandy team Saturday and beat them like a dog. Yes, the score ended up being close, but the game never was. We spotted them 14-21 points off turnovers. The team let off the gas and lost focus, and yes it almost cost us the game, but when really good teams are in that situation they're able to turn it back on. Legree stepped up and made a huge play and then the Offense took back over. We were in that situation, and we turned it back on and finished the game. I wanted the 70-0 score too, but lets be realistic here.

This weeks game, minus the turnovers, was back on par with where we were expecting this team to be this year. The Offensive line was slinging Vandy guys around like rag dogs, the Dline finally showed up and was playing like motivated beasts, the backs were busting big plays, the receivers were making big catches, the secondary was locking down receivers, and the QBs were pin point on most passes. It was a solid team effort, and fairly tough pick. I have a feeling a few of you may not agree so much with this weeks pick, but ...

THIS WEEK'S, CACK'S TOAST OF THE GAME AGAINST VANDERBILT IS ... THE RECEIVERS

I know, Shaw had a really good game, but if you break down plays and look to see what made them develope. You will notice a lot that the receivers had a lot to do with it. Not only were those guys making tremendous catches (Nick and Bruce's TD catches), but Mike and Brandon busted out big gains on runs and swing/screen passes mostly because of the receivers down field blocking. Shaq Roland has made some HUGE blocks this year, and Bryd or Jones (who knows as much as they swich numbers), I'm pretty sure Bryd, had a block on one of the swing passes that decleated one of Vandy's players. It was one of the hardest hits of the night. Look back at Mike's 75 yard run against UGA, he picked up another 30 yards because of Byrd staying on his block. Everyone was worried preseason about our receivers and who would step up. Well, the whole group has stepped up so far, and they deserve some love.

Honorable Mentions:
Connor Shaw - A much better showing from the previous week. Shaw looked like he was on a mission to put the UGA performance in the past and show he's better than that ... and he did. One of by biggest issues during Shaw's career is his lack of taking chances down field. He trusted hie receiver, arm and decision on that first TD pass to Jones, and it was a thing of beauty. Sometimes you have to take chances and swing for the fences. He did that and hit a home run.

Defensive Line - These guys finally played the game we've been expecting to see from them all along. The Wildcat hurt us a bit, but the was scheme that cost us to be out of position on plays. Wildcat is a gimic, when they lined up and played Football ... we took over.

Offensive Line - Boy, these guys are really looking good this season. How many runs did Wilds and Davis have that they got through the line without having a single person lay a finger on them? When both of these guys are able to get into the 2nd level untouched ... they're very hard to get down. I am very impressed with the way the Offensive Line has looked so far this season.

Mike Davis - Both guys deserve some love for their own ... Mike had about 150 total yards again Saturday, and has really stepped up to fill the void of Marcus leaving. We might not be able to fill the leadership hole, right now, but he's definitely filling the production on the field hole. He's on pace to get about 2,000 total yards this year.

Brandon Wilds - People can talk "Gurshell" all they want, but I wouldn't want any other 1-2 punch than the one we have. Make is the #1 guy, but every single time Brandon comes in, he makes a big play. He makes 2 moves and takes a screen pass 30+ yards to the house that could have went for 300 yards. It's obvious that our coaching staff doesn't hesitate to put either back in for any situation in the game. 3rd and short ... both guys have been in to pick up the tough yards. 3rd and 10 ... both guys have been in to catch the swing pass and take it 20 yards. Couldn't be more happy with both guys in the backfield.

We made a few errors in the game Saturday that kept the scoreboard from showing how bad this game was, but I'm in no way in panic mode today.

EVERYONE RAISE YOUR GLASS ... HERE'S TO THE RECEIVERS

Week 1 - Offensive Line
Week 2 - Mike Davis
Week 3 - The Receivers

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree
Default Re: Cack's Toast Of The Game: Vandy

I must have replayed that Nick Jones catch 5 times. He was feeling good.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
CockyCash: 200
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

Raise your glass!
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Man this makes my week complete... Also I would like to praise the O-line I am very impressed with them as a group.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

offensive line.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw, imo , but we do have a bunch of guys who can catch the football and make plays. Good downfield blocking also.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Shoulda been Shaw.

21/29 (72%) for 284 yards, 3 TD and no picks. He also was our leading rusher with 84 yards on 19 carries. The TD to Nick Jones was the most accurate pass I've ever seen Connor throw, and the one to Bruce was dropped on a postage stamp as well.....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Mike Davis - Both guys deserve some love for their own ... Mike had about 150 total yards again Saturday, and has really stepped up to fill the void of Marcus leaving. We might not be able to fill the leadership hole, right now, but he's definitely filling the production on the field hole. He's on pace to get about 2,000 total yards this year.
FWIW, The last time we played Vandy at home, they also held Marcus to under 100 yds rushing, but he had 75 Receiving yards that game for a total of 152. Who could forget this play to swing the momentum right before the 1/2 in that game...

Strangely similar to Mike's output in this game (77+67=144)...

Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Clayton named SEC Offensive Lineman of the week
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
Clayton named SEC Offensive Lineman of the week

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

DT with a reception should get an honorable mention.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Shoulda been Shaw.

21/29 (72%) for 284 yards, 3 TD and no picks. He also was our leading rusher with 84 yards on 19 carries. The TD to Nick Jones was the most accurate pass I've ever seen Connor throw, and the one to Bruce was dropped on a postage stamp as well.....

Shaw completed 8 passes to the HBs. He completely 13 to receivers/tightends. That means nearly half of his completions were caught at the line of scrimmage or within 2 yards of it. Those are simple HIGH COMPLETION passes.

I can't stand when people keep throwing his completion percentage around. Yes, he has an extremely high completely percentage, but he throws a lot of check down/swing passes.

Not to take a single thing away from him Saturday, because he had a great game and the passes to Bruce and Nick were things of beauty that I've been saying he needs to take chances and do. Just saying completion percentage isn't the tell all, and get tired when people use that as the "this is why he's great" arguement.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post

He said Manziel who ...

Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

I really want to see Wilds break a long one this year to see if he is as fast as he looks....
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Shaw completed 8 passes to the HBs. He completely 13 to receivers/tightends. That means nearly half of his completions were caught at the line of scrimmage or within 2 yards of it. Those are simple HIGH COMPLETION passes.

I can't stand when people keep throwing his completion percentage around. Yes, he has an extremely high completely percentage, but he throws a lot of check down/swing passes.

Not to take a single thing away from him Saturday, because he had a great game and the passes to Bruce and Nick were things of beauty that I've been saying he needs to take chances and do. Just saying completion percentage isn't the tell all, and get tired when people use that as the "this is why he's great" arguement.
Very true, but I'm glad he's using his checkdown.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:

Well when the coach keeps calling the wheel route because they can't stop Mike Davis, how's that Connor's fault? The fact that he was our leading rusher on top of what the passing numbers were (even with the 3-4 QB sneaks thrown in that brought down his yards per carry) is what tips it in his favor for me.

I love ya for doing these, but you missed this week.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1106
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post

Haha! He technically did say receivers, and he was a receiver!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Well when the coach keeps calling the wheel route because they can't stop Mike Davis, how's that Connor's fault? The fact that he was our leading rusher on top of what the passing numbers were (even with the 3-4 QB sneaks thrown in that brought down his yards per carry) is what tips it in his favor for me.

I love ya for doing these, but you missed this week.
As I've said time and time before ... I'm not knocking Shaw for anything. Just saying the completion percentage argument isn't a little skewed.

As for the "missed this week". The toast doesn't go to the best stats of the week, it goes to who I feel had the biggest impact on the game. I've given the toast to a guy before because of 1 down field block that opened up a hugh play that ended up keeping a drive alive that won us the game. 1 downfield block doesn't even get you in the paper, but it was a play that helped win a game.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Connor Shaw, imo , but we do have a bunch of guys who can catch the football and make plays. Good downfield blocking also.
Agreed! All are playing high level football, but Connor has been as accurate as anyone in the country. Throws vs UGA and Vandy were mind blowing! Normally he wouldn't attempt to fit short passes into tiny spaces between defenders but he's confident now that he can place long throws (>30 yds) in there. Also is confident that the receivers will catch them and that he will have time for the throw to not be forced or rushed.

Our offense is clicking!!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw MVP last game !
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote