CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurrier_Superior_On
18IsTheMan
Order 66
catdaddy66
Clowneygotcha
gadeneer1986
GoldenSpur7
eatlighting
GH
TAFC 5 1981
Looking ahead to UGA (2698)
My Observations Abou (2573)
Kevin Sumlin Thought (1920)
Gurley lined up to t (1331)
Step back from the l (1295)
Who else wants to se (1272)
Kelcy and Victor Ham (941)
How far do we fall.. (906)
Shaq Roland (862)
Shon Carson at KR (790)
I Am Ashamed
ECU
UFC 177: TJ Dillishaw vs
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Time to quit crying.
Recruiting Question
Plugging Holes W/Recruiti
Predict the Season (After
2015 Commitment - Michael
Confused fan here. Why i

Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy

I don't think I've EVER seen a game where we have simultaneously demolished someone and almost found a way to lose to them. What a weird game. It was certainly a tale of two halves, as we dominated Vandy in the first half and naval gazed for the second half. Thankfully we got a little clarity at the end and prevented any serious drama. Please remember as you look at my grades that they're cumulative. Thank you.

OFFENSE
QB:
A

This might have been Connor's best game. He made throws that a good portion of our fanbase didn't think he could make, and I also saw him make throws that in the past he would have held onto for ball security. It paid off to the tune of 284 yards and 3 TDs. It would be an A+ if not for Dylan's long stare-down interception and Connor's missing a crucial slant on 3rd down. Vandy's defense is not that bad, and these guys shredded it. Glad to see Dylan getting some playing time, I hope we keep that up.

RB: A+
Mike Davis is establishing himself as one of the premiere backs in the country. Wilds makes for a great change of pace back and doesn't really sacrifice much in terms of a drop off when Davis needs a break. Lost in the discussion of how great Davis is doing is how well both of them are catching passes out of the backfield. They caught 8 passes between them and are becoming a major part of our offense.

WR/TE: A
Ellington showed OUT. That last TD catch he made still stupefies me, I have no idea how he did that. You can also see Shaq growing in confidence from week to week, and Nick Jones is establishing himself as a starter. We had 7 TE or WR make at least one catch Saturday, which tells me we're starting to use the depth we've built up. It's nice to see the TEs get more involved, and Busta seems to be working his way back from injury nicely. Mason Zandi... I saw you.

OL: A+
This unit is firing on all cylinders right now. They are establishing great zones for the backs and giving the QBs tremendous amount of time to throw the ball. Stadnick responded to the fire Elliot lit under his ass as well, he's been a great stand-in for Cody.

DEFENSE
DL: B

For the most part these guys got great pressure on the QB and stuffed the run...at least for the first half. In the second half they were put in tough spots and got a little tired, but it's still great to see these guys have a better game. Sutton finally got on track and had the game I knew he was capable of. All isn't entirely well, however, as Vandy had their way with them when they went to the wildcat. I knew it was technique related but I couldn't put my finger on it until I listened to Langston Moore's analysis. It's about their hands. I went back and re-watched the game and he's right, our DL, especially the interior linemen are not using their hands to defeat blocks and slide laterally. They let OL engage them and get moved to one side or the other. If they're playing a gap, they can't shed and move over to seal off where the run eventually goes. This is something we did extremely well last year and aren't doing well at all this year.

LB/Spur: C
Great first half, terrible second half. These guys are still learning, but it's frustrating to watch two LBs play the same gap on a run blitz. Spurs did a much better job in coverage this week. One thing we just can't fix, however is size. Multiple times I'd see our Spur come up in run support and get trucked backwards. We need some beef for those short yardage situations.

CB/S: B
Much, much better week. They held Matthews to 106 (yes, that's actually doing something) and the rest of Vandy's receivers to 41 yards. More importantly, they didn't let people behind them and didn't give up the big play.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: F

Look, it's obvious that special teams is not a focus of this team. It doesn't matter who the special teams coach is, if it's not a focus of the head coach it will never get the attention that it deserves. I love Shon Carson, and I hate that he never got a real chance to succeed due to injury, but he's a liability right now in the return game.

Punting is a disaster, kickoffs are a disaster...thankfully we haven't had to rely on a FG.

If this isn't fixed special teams will cost us another game this year.

COACHING
Overall:
B

Much better than last week, we had a solid game plan for how to attack Vandy's defense, and we shut down their offense for at least a half...BUT then came the mistakes.

We're still not communicating well on defense, and apparently Clowney's better in pass coverage.

Sigh.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
B

Look, this is a young team, especially in the very crucial area of LB. We have an insanely talented team that's prone to making bone headed mistakes at precisely the wrong time. This team is also really, really good. If we can mature and fix our communication problems, we can run the table. If not, I could see us dropping two or three more before it's all over. Kudos to the fans for being loud against Vandy, even if you did have to be reminded a few times that it was 3rd down.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Some of you guys need to back off the ledge. We're 2-1 with a close loss coming at Georgia. The good news is that the team is improving, and I have every reason to believe that we'll be better at the end of the year than we are right now. Vandy has played us tough in recent years and was a nail-biter last year.

Well this year we destroyed them. Don't let the score fool you, look at the stats, we outgained them 579 to 268. This, however, does lead to the one thing that concerns me right now. This team lacks a killer instinct. We scored our final points with 10 min to go in the third quarter. The way we were playing we should have scored a minimum of 49 points on Vandy. The same goes for UNC. We have got to put people away when we have the opportunity and quit playing it safe or eventually it will come back to bite us.

Next we get a week off to prepare for a very dangerous UCF team. I would feel a lot better about the remainder of our schedule if we can come out and dominate them from the opening bell.

Last edited by Acockolypse Now; 09-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Acockolypse Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
the camp branch kid
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
the camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy

with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Great right up ... with the killer instinct comment. I was thinking the same thing until I started to think about it. We were up 28-0 with Dylan threw that pick that set up their first TD. Spurrier was still slinging the ball around with a 28 point lead, but I think the INT kind of took a bit out of the sails for everyone. We usually see the team pack up with a 28 point lead. Spurrier was still out there calling the Offense as if it was 0-0, but when that happened I think he said "ok, lets not get too pretty here" and cut if off from that point.

I would still like to see more turnovers by our Defense, but when we needed the guys to step up (Legree pick and then run out the clock) they did.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't completely agree with that thought (as it was my own as well) anymore.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Great write up as usual, Acock! I don't know how Bruce caught that TD either...
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

where is your SEC week 3 wrap up...I like those...I want to see what liner you have to MSU
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

the last drive where we ran out the clock was a great sign of a good offensive line...just punished them
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

This deal with substitutions has got to get straightened out !
Coulwoodwarlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yes, we're having too many communication issues with the sidelines. The D staff needs to get it sorted out. The point was also made that Dylan was being a little too obvious with certain offensive signals too.

Hopefully we'll keep working those bugs out. Losing a coach like Lawing hurts in more ways than one.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Great write up, as usual.

Having a week off right now is great. Hopefully we can start vs UCF the same way we started vs Vandy, and this time show a killer instinct.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
OL: A+
This unit is firing on all cylinders right now. They are establishing great zones for the backs and giving the QBs tremendous amount of time to throw the ball. Stadnick responded to the fire Elliot lit under his ass as well, he's been a great stand-in for Cody.
I am in shock over how well the offensive line is playing right now. I was convinced that they were going to be our achilles heel this year. I am so glad to be wrong.

Also, I think Stadnick may not give up the starting position so easily when Cody is game fit. Major kudos to Sean Elliot.

If we keep this up, our offense will reach a point where we can destroy other teams at will. We have all the tools we could possibly hope to have, and those tools will get sharper and sharper as the season progresses.

If the linebackers can learn their assignments in a hurry, then it's "Katie, bar the door"!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

I may be way off, but the main problems with our linebackers seems to be the scheme not fitting the personnel we have. I'm hoping the guys will grow into it, but our LBs need to move around a lot and play a lot of different roles. Others have stated how many LBs we've had either leave the program or never make it in so it's not a recruitment problem so much as a retaining people one.

We need to get the guys some protein bars though, they thin.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
I am in shock over how well the offensive line is playing right now. I was convinced that they were going to be our achilles heel this year. I am so glad to be wrong.

Also, I think Stadnick may not give up the starting position so easily when Cody is game fit. Major kudos to Sean Elliot.

If we keep this up, our offense will reach a point where we can destroy other teams at will. We have all the tools we could possibly hope to have, and those tools will get sharper and sharper as the season progresses.

If the linebackers can learn their assignments in a hurry, then it's "Katie, bar the door"!
They didn't give up a sack against Vandy. I honestly can't remember the last time I was able to say that regardless of who we played.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Has anyone noticed that Shaw, who I think is used to a more crumbly pocket, is almost dropping too far back? The tackles are successfully pushing the ends back and there have been a few times that Connor has almost dropped too far back into it.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that Shaw, who I think is used to a more crumbly pocket, is almost dropping too far back? The tackles are successfully pushing the ends back and there have been a few times that Connor has almost dropped too far back into it.
This!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nice pickup.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

It looks like Shaw is a lot more comfortable in the pocket this year. I recall one play, where he was flushed out, he rolled right, and then calmly pitched the ball OB to avoid a sack. I don't remember seeing that from him much last year, and I don't ever recall seeing him dump the ball so calmly.

I agree with you on the intangibles. This Gamecock team is young. Hopefully, the youthful LBs and safeties can rapidly gain experience. One of the benefits of experienced players is that you can disguise defenses because your players don't need simplification. Right now, we are simplified which makes us vulnerable to QBs who can read a defense. I would say the UCF signal caller fits that category.

OTH, UCF has only 8 seniors on their team. They are almost as young as us. Plus, their DL is smallish. Should be a game for the running attack.

Nice write up.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 21358950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Great write up! Can we give Special Teams (save Sidney Rhodes) a number score instead? F could be a 60 or 69, depending on the scale.

I'd give them an 8.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Cockystona
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 0
Cockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his combCockystona is developing his comb

This is by far the best, most balanced and well thought out write up about the game last Saturday. I am glad someone else could put into words how I felt about the game. I am optimistic and a lot (not all) of our defensive issues that we have seen through the first 3 games this year can be corrected with experience and coaching. Here's to hoping the bye week will be good for our team to regroup and get better.
Cockystona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
CockyCash: 200
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

Can't give ya anymore points until I spread some around....
Great write up and we saw the game exactly the same....that missed slant on 3rd down was one that could have shut the door completely. Shaw knew it too....
The offense is the best I've seen since the HBC took over...we can run so many different sets and we are doing pretty much what we want...
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Great write up and well measured. I would also add to the A+ score for the running backs that both Davis and Wilds have done a great job in pass protection, which has in part added to the very high grades for the oline. Wilds especially has been very effective at picking up the blitz to give Shaw additional time to throw the ball.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote