CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
sanford
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
75CarolinaFan
Spurticus
Aggie96
B-G
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
Sidney Rice Retiring (1344)
Dan Patrick Show - P (610)
ESPN Insider (533)
Pictures of older Co (438)
SOS Dominating SEC M (292)
Bonefish Grill (264)
Places to eat in Con (254)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (206)
This Song is the F'i (202)
What Are The Most Im (202)
Name a Gamecock
Green and Lammons
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
Texags
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Predict Clemson 2014
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
2015 Commitment - Damon A
Ace suspended 4 games
Another A&M aggie off

Old 09-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
scrub146
Game MVP

CockyCash: 1091
scrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot material
Default 3 special teams stats that stand out:

SEC Rankings

Kickoff returns: 13th: 18.1 avg.

Punt returns: 12th: 4.2 avg.

Punting: 14th: 32.2 avg.

Would like to see Pharoh Cooper possibly get a shot in the return game.
scrub146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 250
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: 3 special teams stats that stand out:

Yikes! Makes for lousy field position. Add in the penalties, probably losing 100 yards per game.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I miss Ace.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
scrub146
Game MVP

scrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot materialscrub146 is USC mascot material

Anyone remeber what Hull averaged last year per punt? I know it wasn't glaring but 32.2 is horrid.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

And now we see how much Ace Sanders meant to this team in the return game.
Still, Shon couldn't get a decent block, and our coverage teams have been pretty lousy through three games when Ard doesn't kick it through the endzone.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Doesn't help that Shon runs into traffic. He just picks a spot and runs full speed
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

4th and 3 or less we should go for it regardless of field pos.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
And now we see how much Ace Sanders meant to this team in the return game.
Still, Shon couldn't get a decent block, and our coverage teams have been pretty lousy through three games when Ard doesn't kick it through the endzone.
Shon had a decent block and then ran straight into it.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
scrub146
Game MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
4th and 3 or less we should go for it regardless of field pos.
As long as we don't run the option!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Not a statistician but I looked into kickoffs/punts, returns and kick coverage compared to last year.

In all, it looks like we're losing about 55 yards in field position per game compared to last year.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I miss Ace.
Ace leaving early was worse than Lattimore, Alshon and Gilmore in my opinion. I am not saying he was better than any of those three at their respective positions, I am saying the impact he had and the drop off of who was waiting to take his place was more drastic than any of the other three. When I heard he was leaving I got a little sick, I was hoping differently but he could have been a MAJOR difference for this team.

Flame on...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Dont think that they are going to waste a redshirt year just to have Cooper returning punts.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
the camp branch kid
Walk On

Male

the camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his clawsthe camp branch kid is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Dont think that they are going to waste a redshirt year just to have Cooper returning punts.
I always get confused abt redshirts, but he played a snap against UNC. That last pass from our goal line was to him.
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
scrub146
Game MVP

Cooper played several snaps in the UNC game.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Was that Shon Carson? or bruce ellington that just straight caught the ball an ran into 5 guys when he should have called a fair catch.. (against vandy)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
A great returner can make a couple of people miss in open space.

This doesn't just take speed but jitterbug agility.

We have plenty of guys that are fast as bullets but I have not seen anyone this year really "juke" the first couple of guys coming at them.

There were plenty of times when Ace had three defenders within ten yards of him when he picked up the kick (with no blockers around) and he used his agility to get past those guys untouched.

After that, you can actually get to where your lanes should be forming.

The guys we have returning kicks and punts this year have not been able to make plays on their own to get past that first two or three defenders.

Ace was also exceptional at being patient and watching where the defenders speed and momentum was taking them and then just exploded away from that rush-he'd go from 0-100 in the blink of an eye and cut without losing speed.

I simply do not know if we have anyone on the team that can do that.

You put Ace in a phone booth with two other people and it would be hours before they could put a finger on him.

People sometimes diss Chris Culliver as our former Return man but even he had liquid hips and that made him a great return man (the record holder here). He could cut like the devil and elude some defenders in space.

This is not a diss to our current players - I think they are great. But straight line speed and great hands are not the greatest assets to being the guy back there on special teams.

We will likely not see to many returns that make it past our 30 yard line this year unless there is someone we have not seen try it back there and can actually cut, keep their speed and make people miss in tight spaces.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
cockypippen
Walk On

Male

cockypippen has hatched from the shell

Pretty sure you are thinking of Carson. That resulted in a lost fumble. It was tough to figure out what he was thinking there.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

Shone Carson is a talented kid who has the wheels to be a great return man. I'm hoping the light is going to turn on for him.
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 0
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Was that Shon Carson? or bruce ellington that just straight caught the ball an ran into 5 guys when he should have called a fair catch.. (against vandy)
That was Bruce. Still don't know how he held onto the ball. So glad he didn't get hurt. Shon's the one who found out what happens when you rush the football into a helmet. I'm confident that both those issues, and better awareness as to where the football is bouncing, are being worked on.