CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
gamecockgal
MWard
Spurticus
75CarolinaFan
sanford
uscjeremynca
Cockypantherfan
B-G
garnet_black215
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Sidney Rice Retiring (1683)
Bonefish Grill (422)
SOS Dominating SEC M (413)
What Are The Most Im (361)
Places to eat in Con (296)
This Song is the F'i (273)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (271)
FAIRGROUNDS PARKING (187)
George Harrison Memo (162)
Sidney Rice Retiring From
When does fall practice s
Texags
Jaguars Justin Blackmon A
Kansas to invest $75 mill
UT Tickets
Green and Lammons
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
2015 - Christian Pellage
Cheap jersey and very nic

Old 09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous
Default Spurrier and the Hurry UP

Being such an offensive mind, why doesn't Spurrier run the hurry up offense? Or at least an offense that changes tempo rapidly? Old dog, new trick?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
ILikeTurtles
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
ILikeTurtles has feathers coming inILikeTurtles has feathers coming inILikeTurtles has feathers coming in
Default Re: Spurrier and the Hurry UP

I thought we did run an uptempo offense with Dylan's drives against Vandy.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
We were snapping the ball with 15 left on the play clock the whole first quarter I thought.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post

I guess your right. Delete this thread mods. its stupid.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Being such an offensive mind, why doesn't Spurrier run the hurry up offense? Or at least an offense that changes tempo rapidly? Old dog, new trick?
Not sure how this idea would even be a consideration. By idea, I mean the idea that he isn't doing it because of the "old dog, new trick" perception.

I am not sure what else Spurrier could do to demonstrate that he is willing to do whatever he thinks will give SC the best chance to win. He brought in the zone read, he went to relying on the defense when that gave us the best chance to win, now I bet you will see much better offensive numbers this year now that he realizes that gives us the best chance to win.

Hell, Spurrier put a WR (Syvelle Newton) at QB to try and win more games when we had no offensive line.

Having said that, I can answer your question with 100% certainty.... He doesn't make it a staple of our offense (we have done it at times) because he doesn't think it gives us the best chance to win. I am absolutely certain without any doubt that that is the reason.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

I think he likes the quick tempo but understands what it does to our own defense. Against Vandy, who doesn't hurry up on offense, he picked up the tempo on offense. Last year against Clemson we took our time and worked on ball control.

This year we have a true balanced offense that can throw, run, hurry up, or play deliberately. So many of the hurry up teams struggle to slow the game down to protect a lead and burn clock.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanohio View Post
I think he likes the quick tempo but understands what it does to our own defense. Against Vandy, who doesn't hurry up on offense, he picked up the tempo on offense. Last year against Clemson we took our time and worked on ball control.

This year we have a true balanced offense that can throw, run, hurry up, or play deliberately. So many of the hurry up teams struggle to slow the game down to protect a lead and burn clock.
Ding ding ding....

The MAIN takeaway coming out of the UNC game was that our defense was gassed. That was the absolutely main takeaway that everyone in the world came away with.

So what do you think would have happened if we had run a hurry up offense???

We won very comfortably and the game was never in question.

We go hurry up in that game and you are much more likely to have injuries and to get beat late in the game. Our defense could barely make it out of the game as it was already.

But then vs Vandy, we did run a tempo offense on a few occasions (It wasn't just when Dylan was in the game).

Spurrier plans each game to give us the best chance to win that game.

That is much more effective than a team like UNC who can only go one style regardless of the opponent.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I guess your right. Delete this thread mods. its stupid.
That awkward moment when you feel it necessary to ask mods to delete your thread ....

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
That awkward moment when you feel it necessary to ask mods to delete your thread ....
been there many times. But I am sure that surprises no one.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

The hurry up doesn't benefit the defense
Old 09-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

I think he probably meant the same kind of hurry up that Clemson, TAMU, Oregon, ect.. run.. I watched the Vandy game and nothing from your offense (faster or not at times) resembled any of that kind of speed.

I wish Clemson would slow it down at times for the record.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
I think he probably meant the same kind of hurry up that Clemson, TAMU, Oregon, ect.. run.. I watched the Vandy game and nothing from your offense (faster or not at times) resembled any of that kind of speed.

Different type of league in the ACC though. its more offensive oriented. Where as the SEC (Traditionally) is a defensive league with ball control offense.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post

Might want to check the number of plays we ran during the Vandy game. Even Chad Morris would be proud...something like 532

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
The hurry up doesn't benefit the defense
Only if the offense scores a lot of points.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

We do/ did not run the Hurry Up offense like it is often referred to, as far as pace of play is concerned. Snapping the ball with 15 seconds left isn't hurry up, thats being efficient, which none of us are used to seeing our offense be. I always think back to games where we would get the play call in to the QB with 11 seconds and Garcia or Shaw was snapping the ball with .5-1 seconds left on the clock. It often resorted in penalties, timeouts, or botched plays. That seems to be fading away though, which is nice.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
SwayinNPlayin
Banned

Male

SwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervous

Did see on Gamecock Central that Spurrier is chirping about getting more possessions. For what its worth.
SwayinNPlayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 720
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Might want to check the number of plays we ran during the Vandy game. Even Chad Morris would be proud...something like 532
Oh? We ran that many plays? Bet our offense was tired as hell. Lol

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

If we ran a real hurry up...maybe Clowney could get the numbers he would need to win the Heisman.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
If we ran a real hurry up...maybe Clowney could get the numbers he would need to win the Heisman.
Or die in the process of trying.... The man can barely keep up with trying to run down plays to the opposite side all game now.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
We don't huddle. Usually we hurry up to the line, if spurrier likes what he sees, we go. If not, he sends in an adjustment.

Semi hurry up if you will.