CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Cockypantherfan
taylorssc
GamecockSuperFan
zcockz
KaneisAble
DTGCOCKS#32
ShutTheSuccop
The Yancey
ReadR00ster
HBC Weekly Presser (1470)
Thompson Has Neck In (1269)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (656)
What fish do you eat (621)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (538)
KY Suspends 4 Player (537)
Clowney didnt get ma (507)
4th & 1 Play (449)
Request (307)
So What?
Out of the top 25
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Cleaned up version: SEC E
One player could have cha
Clowney didnt get married
2015 Commitment - Jaire A
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
4th & 1 Play
QB Recruiting Strategy

Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

CockyCash: 200
The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material
Default UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

I don't know if any of you caught this fight last night but it was easily fight of the year so far. Jones retained the Light Heavyweight title via Unanimous decision in a fight where he hit Gustaffson with everything but the kitchen sink but couldn't put him down all the while taking the first significant damage of his career. This was the only guy u thought that might could beat Jones and he gave it his best but Jones is just on another level. Only time will tell if when we talk about the greatest in MMA history if we rank Jones above Fedor and Silva. I personally already do.
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

Jones is a Douche
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

I don't dispute the decision, even if a judge had it Gustafsson winning 3 rounds to 2, but I do dispute the one judge giving Jones 4 rounds. No way he won 4. Three at best. A fight last night is why I think MMA needs to try to get away from round to round scoring. Some of those rounds were split down the middle and I think it would be best to judge the fight holistically. On another note, I don't think I've ever seen a fighter as gassed as I saw Gustafsson in the last two minutes of the 5th round. Great fight.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Jones is a Douche
Why do you say that? He's one of the more humble fighters out there..
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
On another note, I don't think I've ever seen a fighter as gassed as I saw Gustafsson in the last two minutes of the 5th round. Great fight.
That is understandable considering it was his first 5 round fight. Jones has had a couple of those by now.
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Those last few minutes of round 5 showed Gustaffson's heart and will, cause that's all that was left! He gave JJ the best competition that he has faced to date. A lot of pundits didn't give AG much of a chance but I felt he had a great chance because of his power and accuracy. He showed last night why he was worthy.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
uga dawg
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

anyone who thinks Jones won that fight last night needs their head examined. at one point in the 3rd rnd, UFC showed the significant strike count to that point, for each fighter. it was 18 for Jones and 88 for Gus. I mean, look at the 2 of them after the fight for Gods sake. Gus had a cut to his head from one spinning elbow, and Jones looked like freaking Quasimodo! Jones got schooled in the stand up department, and could not get Gus to the ground except once out of the many attempts. even then, he did zero damage, as Gus got right back to his feet.

I told the guys that Jones was going to get the decision as soon as the fight ended. All of his hype won't let judges make the right decision. the guy got his ASS WHIPPED!

Jones is nothing without that long reach advantage, and I hope he goes to the Heavyweight division like he claims he wants to. he will be out cold in one of his first 3 fights. Gus should have kept pressure on him, and he would have finished him. Jones doesn't like to be hit, and would have layed down.

I'm not sold on him being one of the best ever, thats a joke. Gus won that fight, despit what the judges said. if he had some coaches worth a damn, he could have finished Jones. he needed 3 things. keep circling and using the footwork, to make the spinning elbows and kicks of Jones hit a very low percentage. throw combos coming out of the clinch. Jones would come out of the clinch with his hands chest high. combos would have killed him here. LEG KICKS ON THOSE SKINNY ASS JON JONES LEGS! he can't kick you if it hurts to bad to pick his leg up. Machida had him limping after 5 hard kicks to the leg. jones has no muscle to aborb leg kicks, and Gus was using these in the first round with good success.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
anyone who thinks Jones won that fight last night needs their head examined. at one point in the 3rd rnd, UFC showed the significant strike count to that point, for each fighter. it was 18 for Jones and 88 for Gus. I mean, look at the 2 of them after the fight for Gods sake. Gus had a cut to his head from one spinning elbow, and Jones looked like freaking Quasimodo! Jones got schooled in the stand up department, and could not get Gus to the ground except once out of the many attempts. even then, he did zero damage, as Gus got right back to his feet.

I told the guys that Jones was going to get the decision as soon as the fight ended. All of his hype won't let judges make the right decision. the guy got his ASS WHIPPED!

Jones is nothing without that long reach advantage, and I hope he goes to the Heavyweight division like he claims he wants to. he will be out cold in one of his first 3 fights. Gus should have kept pressure on him, and he would have finished him. Jones doesn't like to be hit, and would have layed down.

I'm not sold on him being one of the best ever, thats a joke. Gus won that fight, despit what the judges said. if he had some coaches worth a damn, he could have finished Jones. he needed 3 things. keep circling and using the footwork, to make the spinning elbows and kicks of Jones hit a very low percentage. throw combos coming out of the clinch. Jones would come out of the clinch with his hands chest high. combos would have killed him here. LEG KICKS ON THOSE SKINNY ASS JON JONES LEGS! he can't kick you if it hurts to bad to pick his leg up. Machida had him limping after 5 hard kicks to the leg. jones has no muscle to aborb leg kicks, and Gus was using these in the first round with good success.
If you're gonna beat a champion, you're gonna have to make it a landslide. The cards dont see cuts and bruises, and from what Ive heard bones got the best of him in the late rounds to the point where he was having trouble gathering himself.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
OVPcock
4-Star

Male

OVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 View Post
Why do you say that? He's one of the more humble fighters out there..
Agree, Jones is a pretty good guy
Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

If they were both no name fighters then Gus would have won...but they are not and like has been said to beat the champion on the card you need to make it more resounding than it was or not leave it to the judges in the first place. All of that being said the end of the fight and the conditioning of both fighters made it clear that Jones was winning in the end and had Gus in trouble..this probably helped Jones with the decision.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

Gustafsson gained a fan in me last night after his comments. I still like Jon Jones, but, I have mad respect for Gustafsson for what he said as in to being the champ.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

If forrest griffin did enough to win the belt from rampage with damn leg kicks, then this was a damn robbery. Gus got the shaft. This being called fight of the year by the mma community, and some saying the best fight at light hw ever! If either are true, how does jones win by unanimus decision? MMA judging is pathetic.

Last edited by uga dawg; 09-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
If forrest griffin did enough to win the belt from rampage with damn leg kicks, then this was a damn robbery. Gus got the shaft. This being called fight of the year by the mma community, and some saying the best fight at light hw ever! If either are true, how does jones win by unanimus decision? MMA judging is pathetic.
This is quoted for truth.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

Yep^
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

Here is a great pic of Jones and Gus after the fight, in the hospital.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/two-uf...130747657.html
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
uga dawg
Banned

Male

I REST MY CASE