CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
A. Pilgrim
gamecockgal
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
DTGCOCKS#32
eightohhthree
markp_vip
B-G
ESPN reporter adding (4755)
How we won the UGA g (1701)
In light of our matc (1672)
Just read this. (1452)
uniforms saturday (1179)
Neat statistic bruhh (989)
If we keep winning a (803)
Vandy Fans (798)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Davis dinged up again?
Winston
Neat statistic bruhhhhh
ESPN reporter adding to t
CockyTalk Football Pickem
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Terry Googer - new Wildca
Greg Hardy deactivated by
uniforms saturday

Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Difference between Lawing and Deke and how it is playing out on field.

Lawing focused on gap control. Quote from Chaz regarding Lawing.. "But when we were playing in the gap (under Lawing) you've got to kind of hold up, let the linebackers flow and hope that you can go make a play."

Deke is more aggressive. Here is a quote from Chaz regarding Deke... ""It's easier for us to make plays now because we can just get upfield and react and get to the ball." He also says that Deke focuses on attacking every play by getting up field as fast as possible.

I was thinking about how that has kind of played out in what we have seen on the field.

First, we are one of the top teams in the country in sacks and tackles for a loss. You get those by being aggressive and getting into the backfield.

On the other hand, we don't look as good as in past years at stopping runs like the Wildcat, etc because we are struggling at filling gaps.

I really don't know that one is better than the other as far as philosophy. I know people are going to say that Lawing's philosophy is better, but I think it is too early to tell. We are only 3 games into the season.

But I will say this. I think one problem we have seen is that it is hard to have your d-lineman be that aggressive and give up gap control when you have a linebacking group as young as ours.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
USC843
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in
Default Re: Difference between Lawing and Deke and how it is playing out on field.

Interesting write-up. I can definitely see why we are struggling if this is true. Our D line is very aggressive and it puts a lot of responsibility on our linebackers, which is something that they are obviously not ready for.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Difference between Lawing and Deke and how it is playing out on field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Lawing focused on gap control. Quote from Chaz regarding Lawing.. "But when we were playing in the gap (under Lawing) you've got to kind of hold up, let the linebackers flow and hope that you can go make a play."

Deke is more aggressive. Here is a quote from Chaz regarding Deke... ""It's easier for us to make plays now because we can just get upfield and react and get to the ball." He also says that Deke focuses on attacking every play by getting up field as fast as possible.

I was thinking about how that has kind of played out in what we have seen on the field.

First, we are one of the top teams in the country in sacks and tackles for a loss. You get those by being aggressive and getting into the backfield.

On the other hand, we don't look as good as in past years at stopping runs like the Wildcat, etc because we are struggling at filling gaps.

I really don't know that one is better than the other as far as philosophy. I know people are going to say that Lawing's philosophy is better, but I think it is too early to tell. We are only 3 games into the season.

But I will say this. I think one problem we have seen is that it is hard to have your d-lineman be that aggressive and give up gap control when you have a linebacking group as young as ours.
I think our coaches misjudged the inexperience we had at LB......I think the DL is fine.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We're not struggling as much as you think.

We're holding opponents to 73% of their average passing attack, 92% of their average rushing attack, and 85% of their scoring average.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I have no doubt that if we put last years lb sqaud on this defense our d would be much stronger regardless of the defensive philosophy.

There is no substitute for experience.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

deke adams. deke adams. deke adams. deke adams. deke adams. hey guys.... you know what? deke adams.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Jd is missing devin taylor playing contain on opposite side. That is what I have seen
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4524
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think the aggressive style is hurting us because of our young LBs. Teams know that our DEs are slanting inside and they are getting to the corner on us which never happened in recent years.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

One difference is that Lawing seemed to frequently mention teaching his DL that learning to use their hands was a key. Haven't heard Adams mention that, though of course he could have.
I bring that up because one analyst noted (don't remember who)that our DL didn't seem to be using their hands well and were getting locked up by the OL and so were often unable to get off blocks. That was mentioned about our LB as well, btw.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

We're holding opponents to 73% of their average passing attack, 92% of their average rushing attack, and 85% of their scoring average.
Isn't it illegal to interrupt perfectly good rants with stone cold facts?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:

Great post and I agree that the idea of the aggressive play is a good thing, but that it also puts pressure on our VERY inexperienced linebackers.

I think we'll only go as far this season as those linebackers and the offense will take us. Who would have ever thought that we'd be questioning our dline play and who would have thought that we'd be saying that our offensive line play might even be somewhat better than our dline play?

I know our dline is performing good...but certainly not to the level of last season's dline.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:

At this point in the season you have to look at the level of competition before getting too excited about this. Georgia is the only opponent who has played another top 25 team and we gave up more points than their first opponent and only four fewer than North Texas. Massachusetts also gave up one fewer point to Vanderbilt than we did.

Ultimately points on the board is more important than how many yards a team gives up.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:

Absolutely agree with this. I said in another thread that I thought Lawing was a better coach than Deke, but I think I may have been wrong about that. I think Deke is a good coach, but I think Lawing's philosophy was a better fit for our defense. Lawing's style called for the D-Line to be gap sound, therefore better at stopping the run. And it freed the linebackers up to fly around and make plays(as we all were used to seeing D. Stewart, A. Allen, Holloman, Norwood, and so on do). With Dekes philosophy the Linebackers have to be gap sound for us to be effective, and like we all know, they're inexperienced and it's gonna take time.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

It's good and bad. If you run to the right spot ... you make a huge play ... if you run to the wrong spot, they're going to run straight past you ... thus how the Wildcat killed us against Vandy. We were picking the wrong spots.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

You are wrong about the wildcat. We have sucked against that attack for years. McFadden set rushing records against us with it. UK upset us using it. We have not been able to stop the wildcat effectively for a very long time. This is a continuation of a problem that was present as far back as under Ellis Johnson and maybe even before Ellis, or as some say, BE.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

This year's aggressive nature would've worked last year.
But this year, we almost need that restraint to allow our LBs to have time to react.

This goes to communication between the defensive staff. They have to work as a unit...the Dline can't go do its own thing and leave the LB and DBs to fend for themselves.

The youth at LB is our weakness, so we need to scheme and coach around that, and having our Dline play more gap control would help that.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
SwayinNPlayin
Banned

Male

SwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervousSwayinNPlayin is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
This year's aggressive nature would've worked last year.
But this year, we almost need that restraint to allow our LBs to have time to react.

This goes to communication between the defensive staff. They have to work as a unit...the Dline can't go do its own thing and leave the LB and DBs to fend for themselves.

The youth at LB is our weakness, so we need to scheme and coach around that, and having our Dline play more gap control would help that.
I'm convinced that right there is the reason for the dust up on the sideline. Botkin was pissed that his LB's were being left out to dry.
SwayinNPlayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
It's good and bad. If you run to the right spot ... you make a huge play ... if you run to the wrong spot, they're going to run straight past you ... thus how the Wildcat killed us against Vandy. We were picking the wrong spots.
Yeah, I think this explains why there are a lot of holes in our DL. I don' t think we have the LB corp right now to play defense this way. Our DL are getting cut blocked and pushed too far wide and their blockers are getting to the second level and our LB's and DBs are hanging on to these big backs for dear life. Hopefully if Ced Cooper gets back in the fold he can make a difference.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Yeah, I think this explains why there are a lot of holes in our DL. I don' t think we have the LB corp right now to play defense this way. Our DL are getting cut blocked and pushed too far wide and their blockers are getting to the second level and our LB's and DBs are hanging on to these big backs for dear life. Hopefully if Ced Cooper gets back in the fold he can make a difference.
They also need to tackle properly. I saw a bunch of high attacks by the smaller LB on Gurley. Hit the hips, wrap up, drive ,and lift the legs. Gurley can be 500 pounds and he still wouldn't go anywhere.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:

Numbers are funny. Neat how they can be used to shape whatever argument you like.

In the end, we are 47th ranked team in total defense. Behind the likes of Vandy, East Carolina, and the powerhouse of Memphis. ( as well as 44 others)

Tied for 57 in rushing defense...

No bueno.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22