CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
Freshman ND WR " (809)
Call of Duty: Advanc (512)
Good Riddance to bad (445)
Keeping tailgate foo (307)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (281)
An A to Z of Noah We (197)
The Comeback & T (196)
Bashing Players, coa (190)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (89)
Wallpaper & Back (77)
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod

Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb
Default Ideas for Day Trip to NC Mountains

Thinking about taking my wife and 3 year old (almost 4) up to the NC mountains on a weekend day in October. We usually have the funds to do a 3 to 4 day trip to a friend's cabin we rent in Saluda, NC, but we don't have the funds to do so this year. So looks like a day trip will be all we get to do. We like to enjoy the fall foilage, pick apples (usually Hendersonville off 64), and do easy outdoor things because of the little guy. I'm just wondering what other fun activities we can do in only a day's time. We'll probably leave early morning and get back late night, so that will at least give us a little more time. Not looking to drive more than 3 hours each way. Haven't been much further than Asheville in a long while, and only been towards Western NC when driving to Gatlinburg area. Any decent hiking trails, waterfalls, fun kid friendly places, etc? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ideas for Day Trip to NC Mountains

Grandfather Mountain-more than 3 hrs

Train rides

Head over to Tweetsie in Blowing Rock-more than 3 hrs but good family fun

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I like the train rides too. Check out the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. I've done the Bryson City to Dillsboro round trip and the one where you raft the Nantahala and take the train back. Both are fun, although the rafting might not be suitable for a young child and might be too cold depending on when you're going.

I enjoy Hendersonville too. The apple festival is good, although I think that's already occurred this year.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

I've taken both the Tuckasegee River and the Nantahalia Gorge trips on the GSMRR. I recommend the Tuckasegee River trip because you travel through more open country and have a better view of the mountains.

Reservations can be made by calling the RR. All the info is on their website.

http://www.gsmr.com/

The drive from Lexington to Bryson City is about 220 miles, so allow 4 hours each way from Lexington. The train leaves at noon and gets back at 4:00. If you leave at 6:00 AM, that will get you there with plenty of time to park, have lunch, and check in for the train. If time allows, you can take in the Gift Store and Train Museum. They have a huge train layout that will keep your youngster spellbound.

Unfortunately, the steam engines are out of service, and it is doubtful they will be back anytime soon. The total cost to repair and rebuild them is just too much for the railroad to foot.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html

Last edited by SwampFox; 09-23-2013 at 10:32 PM.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Grandfather Mountain-more than 3 hrs

Train rides

Head over to Tweetsie in Blowing Rock-more than 3 hrs but good family fun
6 hours in a car with a 3 year old....that's brutal.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

Brevard for the Brewery tour and also the Fish Hatchery which the kid will really enjoy. There are several short hike waterfalls nearby as well.

http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/att...enter-wildlife

http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/oskarbluesbrevard/
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

dupont state forest near hendersonville... or pisgah national forest near bervard both have beautiful areas with pretty easy walking trails.. and they both have some nice waterfalls as well ... you could go up on the blue ridge parkway in pisgah too for some nice views ... one of my favorite bbq places of all time is in brevard actually... asheville has a neat downtown area ...but with a younger child dupont may be your best bet
Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had already been looking into Pisgah and Dupont, but wasn't sure if I could fit everything in being that I have only one day. And by that time it will be getting dark earlier as well. Looks like Hwy 276 through Dupont and on up to Pisgah is a nice drive. Although instead of going all the way up to Pisgah, we can stay around Dupont and find some enjoyable trails/falls there, and then maybe I can hit Hwy 64 and take it to Hendersonville to get some apples. I think we went to that Grandads's Apples place not to long ago. It was fun but crowded as hell. Of course that's what I get for going on a weekend, but that's the only time we had and will have this year. I noticed Chimney Rock is on up 64 as well. Anybody been there lately? Looked on their website but couldn't get a feel on whether it was worth visiting or not?

The fish hatchery/wildlife, brewery, and railroad things sound pretty fun, but I don't know if I want to drive that far and be stuck doing that for too long. I guess I'm trying to stick to one general area and find multiple things to do. Again, thanks for all the great suggestions.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

fish hatchery is 30 minutes and you've done all it has to offer if that long, brewery tour lasts about 20 minutes and then you can either leave or go relax for a minute and drink the beer they produce and both of those are also pretty much free of charge
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
6 hours in a car with a 3 year old....that's brutal.
I've done it...it's not 6 in a row. Try 8

Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
fish hatchery is 30 minutes and you've done all it has to offer if that long, brewery tour lasts about 20 minutes and then you can either leave or go relax for a minute and drink the beer they produce and both of those are also pretty much free of charge
Okay, so if the fish hatchery and brewery are in Brevard, then i should be able to take Hwy 276 up through Dupont, make a stop or two there for trails/falls, head on to Brevard, then back up Hwy 64 to Hendersonville for apples, and then decide what to do from there. Has anyone been through Greenville to get to 276? Don't think I've been that way before and I'm wondering if going up I-26 and then back down would be easier and quicker than going up through Greenville and/or Clemmons.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I've done it...it's not 6 in a row. Try 8
We are going to Disney for a long weekend the first week in December. That should be a fun ride. Making sure I have plenty of Scooby Doo and Jake and the Neverland Pirates movies. haha
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Another possibility is the Biltmore House, especially if you have never been there when it is decorated for Christmas. That is a must see, and given all the decoration, the youngster would enjoy that. You can get discount tickets at AAA. The convenience to the interstate makes the drive there and back quite easy.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
The O.G.
Banned

Male

The O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudly

Wooly Worm Festival in Banner Elk, I went to school there, and its quite nice, and very young child oriented. It's Oct 19-20. Boone is also just a stones toss away. Plenty to see or do around there.

http://www.woollyworm.com/
The O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
dupont state forest near hendersonville... or pisgah national forest near bervard both have beautiful areas with pretty easy walking trails.. and they both have some nice waterfalls as well ... you could go up on the blue ridge parkway in pisgah too for some nice views ... one of my favorite bbq places of all time is in brevard actually... asheville has a neat downtown area ...but with a younger child dupont may be your best bet
THIS...Dupont park is fairly easy trails for the payoff. Parts of both The Hunger Games and The Last of the Mohicans were filmed there. Here is the link to their webpage: http://www.dupontforest.com/
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuroftheMoment View Post
We are going to Disney for a long weekend the first week in December. That should be a fun ride. Making sure I have plenty of Scooby Doo and Jake and the Neverland Pirates movies. haha
Mine will be 7 and 23 months when we make the trip in November. I have some great ideas to keep them in the Disney moment while you are going down...depending on the age.

Shouldn't be a problem with your child's age

Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

gamble

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote