CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
cockyguitar
Yearofthegamecock
BlakelyH19
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
No Curse
**USC vs. Texas A&am (55298)
A&M vent thread (11912)
SOS is pissed (4780)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Man of my word (no t (1708)
Worst Beating since? (1643)
Jimmies and Joes (1629)
Players reaction to (1613)
Here is the trophy f (1612)
I'm not looking forw (1542)
A&M vent thread
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
Jimmies and Joes
Good effort Cocks
Okay, Clint will be the f
This says it all.
Players reaction to "
Here is the trophy for th
SOS is pissed
I'm not looking forward t

Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Question for Verizon Employees/Customers!

My girlfriend is wanting to upgrade her iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 (not the new S or C).

She has an unlimited data plan currently.

Will she lose that if she goes in to upgrade? From what she was told by friends, she should be "grandfathered" in.

Her average use is 1.65gb per month...although I see she has gone over 2gb twice in that period. She mainly uses it for internet browsing, Facebook, and Pandora for playing music through her surround sound at her salon while working.

Thoughts?

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question for Verizon Employees/Customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
My girlfriend is wanting to upgrade her iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 (not the new S or C).

She has an unlimited data plan currently.

Will she lose that if she goes in to upgrade? From what she was told by friends, she should be "grandfathered" in.

Her average use is 1.65gb per month...although I see she has gone over 2gb twice in that period. She mainly uses it for internet browsing, Facebook, and Pandora for playing music through her surround sound at her salon while working.

Thoughts?
Depends what they are doing at the time, honestly. Some upgrade plans will require that you move to the other plan, or you have to buy the phone outright for full price. That can get pretty expensive when you're talking about an iPhone.

That being said, I also saved money as I don't go over the data limit being around wifi so much.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

So here is what she pays now:

$79.99 for 900 minutes and unlimited texting
$29.99 for unlimited data

After taxes and fees, she pays around $112 per month.

Now, we have WiFi in the home and a lot of places we go to have WiFi. It would be more of just getting her in the habit of using it.

Paying full price for the phone is very very high, as you can imagine.

I think she could live with paying for the 2GB data plan, only if she could save somewhere else for padding...in case it she went over on data.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

I also get her a 20% off discount each month through my work.

Looking at plans...I see she may be paying too much as it is. For $100, they have unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data for $100.

Or at least basically break even...even though the minutes aren't as important as the data usage to her. She only uses around 500-600 per month.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

I know for a fact that if you're upgrading to 4G LTE you will be forced to drop the unlimited data plan (I'm currently on an iPhone 4 and if I go through the upgrade process to a 5 or 5S, I'm forced to drop unlimited). I think 2 GB / month would be fine for me as a majority of my usage would be on WiFi.

Not sure if it's the same if you stick to a 3G-only phone, however.

The whole "grandfathered in" thing is over with Verizon.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

They would not let me keep my unlimited plan when I went to 4g so I switched to Sprint.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I had the same encounter as Yancey....I upgraded from the Iphone4 to the 5s last friday and I lost my unlimited data package unless I wanted to pay full price for the phone. As Yancey said, I could have left Verizon but I use so little date (far less than 2 GB/month) I am actually coming out ahead. If you use a lot of Data, then it may make more sense to buy the phone at full price and not change your contract....

they can only make you change your plan if you use the plan based incentives to buy your phone (that is what they told me at least)...you can buy a new phone at any time and not change your plan, but you pay full price. If you get the discount on the phone, you can only use the available plans and none will include unlimited data any longer. I figure with the way pricing is going, Verizon will be at the unlimited data by the next time I upgrade so no big deal to me. I think that for my wife and I we are paying 80 for unlimited text/talking and sharing 4 GB of data for another 60 brining total to 140 for our two phones. (not too bad IMO and less than we were paying before due to her going over on data and minutes every month) We used to pay closer to 185/month

Last edited by ShutTheSuccop; 09-24-2013 at 04:56 PM.
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I'm in the same boat. If I upgrade my phone I will lose my unlimited data.

One loophole I found though was through my dad. He had a line that was eligible for an upgrade. He went in and upgraded it...I went with him. Bought the phone I wanted. Time he bought it, they deactivated it, put the old phone back on it, and then put the phone that I had bought on my line. Then, I got the new phone I wanted, and was able to keep my unlimited data.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4445916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

wife and I just switched to galaxy s4 and had to change our plans. We are coming out better than before
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

They lied to you. You don't get grandfathered in. I upgraded, even knew some employees and couldn't get help with it. I hate verizon but that's besides the point. basically what's getting her is streaming music. if she cuts that down she'll never have to worry about going over 2 gigs in my opinion. i'm not sure about iphones but my galaxy allows me to limit my data usage and will warn me when I get to a certain amount used.

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but check this out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2367734
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
DaddyPhatSaks
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1216
DaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervousDaddyPhatSaks is making other chickens nervous

Only think you can do to keep it is buy a new phone out right and switch your number to it.
DaddyPhatSaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Tell her to not go into the store and do this. Call VZW and handle the upgrade over the phone. Explain to them that the only way she stays a VZW customer is to stay on the unlimited plan with the new phone. It may take a while, but they will do this to keep customers. She may get transferred up the chain a time or two, but I know people that have done this.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

in general, these rates are plain stupid. we pay $3600 a year for 3 phones..plus another $1600 for cable and internet..$5200 just for that...we are tired of it and are cutting back.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
in general, these rates are plain stupid. we pay $3600 a year for 3 phones..plus another $1600 for cable and internet..$5200 just for that...we are tired of it and are cutting back.
No kidding. It sucks but what can we do? I have gotten my 3 phone/TV/Internet bill down to $4400 per year. I aim to cut another $600 off that next year.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

If she's at her or your house when she's streaming music then set up a WiFi network...thats helped us cut our data usage.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Depends what they are doing at the time, honestly. Some upgrade plans will require that you move to the other plan, or you have to buy the phone outright for full price. That can get pretty expensive when you're talking about an iPhone.

That being said, I also saved money as I don't go over the data limit being around wifi so much.
Best solution in the world. Add a new line to her account buy the iphone at a discounted price. Get the verizon employee to then switch the iphone to her existing number and downgrade the new number to a basic plan. It 10 extra dollars a month. From then on only use the new numbers upgrade for future use. If you never urade your old line they must continue to give you unlimited data on your old contract. Do not let verizon tell you you cant because you can and that is what I did.
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Eh, thanks for all the advice guys...but I'm afraid it's too late.

Not only was she the only person on her plan (so switching around suggestions wasn't an option)...but since she only averaged 1.6gb a month, she is just going to have to do a better job of connecting to WiFi when possible. Also is going to get her salon to extend the WiFi to her portion of the salon (it's a huge old building). That should help.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hated her giving it up, especially when things seem to be moving towards a cloud storage atmosphere which requires accessing data more and more.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talons

The only way she would be able to keep her unlimited plan is if she paid full retail for the phone. That is the full price without the 2 year contract which is like $600 or so for a 16GB iPhone the last time I checked. Anyone who has unlimited & upgrades will lose their unlimited plan unless they pay full retail. Not sure if this was mentioned or not.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote