CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
GoldenSpur7
JerseyBird
yazoo
IslandCock
The Yancey
BlueHerons
Evilchicken2
Acockolypse Now
rolinb1
OBC banner being add (2001)
The bane of our seas (1753)
Ward wants us to pla (1325)
Who scores the first (1270)
WR Depth Chart/Rotat (1141)
Davis Playing in A&a (1029)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (722)
SL,UT Gamecocks (652)
CFB Playoff Bracket (596)
Come and get your Jo (596)
OBC banner being added to
I'm not buying the hype,
Who scores the first touc
JB jr Tearing it up again
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
CFB Playoff Bracket predi
Full Men's 2014-15 Schedu
SCHSL & SCISA High Sc
Davis Playing in A&M
WR Depth Chart/Rotation

Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
splinters
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous
Default Texas Player worth $578k , what is a gamecock worth?

Interesting read:

http://college-football.si.com/2013/...2_a5&eref=sihp
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Texas Player worth $578k , what is a gamecock worth?

$267K Except for Clowney.

And : that our players are work $76K more than the "other" usc...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

$267K Except for Clowney.

And : that our players are work $76K more than the "other" usc...
Why is texas on this list..... They aren't worth jack shit imo, what have they done recently.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

According to a google search, you can get baby gamecocks for about 5-10 dollars each.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Why is texas on this list..... They aren't worth jack shit imo, what have they done recently.
Based on revenue. $$$ There is Texas, and there is everyone else.

"BI determined this value applying the rules in the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement (in which the players receive a minimum of 47% of all revenue) to the top 25 revenue producing schools, and then dividing that figure by 85, the total number of scholarship players on each team. Written out, the equations for Fair Market Value is: (Football Revenue × 0.47) ÷ 85)"
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
Based on revenue. $$$ There is Texas, and there is everyone else.

"BI determined this value applying the rules in the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement (in which the players receive a minimum of 47% of all revenue) to the top 25 revenue producing schools, and then dividing that figure by 85, the total number of scholarship players on each team. Written out, the equations for Fair Market Value is: (Football Revenue × 0.47) ÷ 85)"
So you take revenue and multiply by two constants? So this is just a ranking of schools by revenue, but instead of revenue per school it's just some completely arbitrary number that is completely meaningless in reality. Alright.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
So you take revenue and multiply by two constants? So this is just a ranking of schools by revenue, but instead of revenue per school it's just some completely arbitrary number that is completely meaningless in reality. Alright.
I don't see those as arbitrary figures. The agreement between NFL owners and the players union is that players get 47 percent of the revenue generated.

Apply that to a college and divide among the number of players on scholarship and that's what a college would have to pay a player each year if a similar agreement existed on the college level.

Looking at it another way, the University of Texas annual football revenue works out to 1.2 million per scholarship player. The annual cost of a scholarship is less than one tenth of that, even at Harvard and MIT.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInSeattle View Post
I don't see those as arbitrary figures. The agreement between NFL owners and the players union is that players get 47 percent of the revenue generated.

Apply that to a college and divide among the number of players on scholarship and that's what a college would have to pay a player each year if a similar agreement existed on the college level.

Looking at it another way, the University of Texas annual football revenue works out to 1.2 million per scholarship player. The annual cost of a scholarship is less than one tenth of that, even at Harvard and MIT.
The business differences between the NFL and NCAA are enormous. I can't believe you honestly think that the NFL collective bargaining agreement and college football are remotely comparable.

I mean, let's just start with two incredibly obvious things. In the NFL, the value of the player's persona inures to the player. I.e., Peyton Manning can do a Papa John's commercial if he wants and he keeps the cash. In college, the players cannot take advantage of their commercial value -- the school captures that value.

Both the NCAA and NFL are tax exempt entities, but in the NFL the teams are taxable entities whereas the NCAA members are tax exempts.

No need to even get into the other regulatory issues that make the two incomparable (Title IX comes to mind).

I'm a big advocate for paying college players, but this so-called article is just another sloppy attempt to get hits by abusing statistics in a completely meaningless way.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
According to a google search, you can get baby gamecocks for about 5-10 dollars each.

That sounds like quite the lucrative investment.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
MsgrMartinez
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
MsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudlyMsgrMartinez is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
The business differences between the NFL and NCAA are enormous. I can't believe you honestly think that the NFL collective bargaining agreement and college football are remotely comparable.

I mean, let's just start with two incredibly obvious things. In the NFL, the value of the player's persona inures to the player. I.e., Peyton Manning can do a Papa John's commercial if he wants and he keeps the cash. In college, the players cannot take advantage of their commercial value -- the school captures that value.

Both the NCAA and NFL are tax exempt entities, but in the NFL the teams are taxable entities whereas the NCAA members are tax exempts.

No need to even get into the other regulatory issues that make the two incomparable (Title IX comes to mind).

I'm a big advocate for paying college players, but this so-called article is just another sloppy attempt to get hits by abusing statistics in a completely meaningless way.
MsgrMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Texas people have too much money.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Because they're the wealthiest football program in the country.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Because they're the wealthiest football program in the country.
Maybe so, but how does that translate to how their players are measured by what they are worth? Explain that to me lol
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Maybe so, but how does that translate to how their players are measured by what they are worth? Explain that to me lol
Of course this isn't exact but I look at it in these terms.
What employee would you think has a "better" job ?
Someone that works at Goldman Sachs or Someone that works at Wells Fargo?

I understand there are a lot of variables, but they just do it using the revenue made divided by how many players are on the team.
So yea not everyone on this team is worth that much but you get it.
(It's the same as saying Clowney is worth the same as Grant Davitte)

LOL

#LukeForMod

Last edited by I Bleed Garnet; 09-28-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #15
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Both of the other schools are behind us.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
McBrain
Walk On

Male

McBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his clawsMcBrain is sharpening his claws

Quote:
It's based on the revenue the program generates, dude...it has nothing what-so-ever to do with the players' talent or performance. You take the amount of money the program creates and divide it by the number of players on the team, the result of that equation is the value "per player".

I hope you understand now. It's a pretty simple concept.
McBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Texas people have too much money.
It's called the longhorn network...that is one of the factors that put them over the top...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolinb1 View Post
It's called the longhorn network...that is one of the factors that put them over the top...
Just one.

But even before the LHN they were the wealthiest program.

#LukeForMod