CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Acockolypse Now
MEL
Spurticus
auslander
spareparts
The Yancey
sanford
MWard
Texags (1915)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1756)
Ace suspended 4 game (1436)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1356)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1176)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1105)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Comporium (736)
watching the Alabama (342)
Jake Coker (284)
Ace suspended 4 games
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Another A&M aggie off
Texags
Official SEC Network and
Predict Clemson 2014
2015 - Zack Bailey
Georgia DE Jonathan Taylo
Gamecock Showcase Attende

Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Coaches Fined & Suspended For Winning By 35 or more

This is absolutely pathetic. "Back when I was growing up" we took plenty of butt whoopings on the Baseball diamond, but we got better from those games, and gave a LOT more in my career than we could imagine taking. Heck, one year we had more Home Runs as a team than our opponents had runs combined. Our team had 99 Home Runs and our opponents scored 98 runs the whole season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...103325382.html

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coaches Fined & Suspended For Winning By 35 or more

Oh look the trophies for everyone crowd is now running leagues great...
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

It's not just kids, anymore. Look at this past weekend in CFB. We had running clocks and shortened quarters. And these are 18-22 year olds!
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Everybody should have seen this coming. When you start giving out participation trophies. Also making it where the bench warmers have to play more than previous years.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Everybody should have seen this coming. When you start giving out participation trophies. Also making it where the bench warmers have to play more than previous years.
In youth league there should be no bench warmers. Parents don't pay 10+ dollars a year to see their kid sit on the bench. Each kid should get = playing time on the field. Also some youth leagues are corrupt. Some coaches get the best talent in the mix while others get mediocre. If they did it by a "I pick you" and there was no I'm getting this kid this year type situation. This problem wouldn't occur as much.

I know we had the Mercy rule in baseball, but maybe keep playing, but not keep score. I remember some baseball games as a kid that first team to score 10 more than the other the game was over. So some games ended in 1 inning.

Last edited by rioninusc; 09-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 477000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

What are we teaching kids... That there are no winners or losers... Wait till they grow up. Do you think business competitors are going to have mercy.

This is just totally wrong on so many levels. If you do no want to lose by more than 35... Practice harder... Learn more... Be more dedicated. These and teamwork are the life lessons that youth sports should teach
cockybusiness2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

baby boomers...go figure.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

http://reblca.tumblr.com/post/620970...ssing-yourself

This article sums up my feelings perfectly.

There are winners, and there are losers. There is no in-between. Our children are suffering because far too many of our parents want to baby the kids and try to keep them from getting their feelings hurt in competitions.

Oh, you didn't play well in your baseball game? Your team lost because you dropped a pop-fly? Good. Don't forget that feeling. Let it motivate you to work harder and do better.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

I suspect there is another side .. I coached or helped coach youth 10 yrs .. I saw insider coaches stack their teams , recruit , change rules ,even shorten the season ( twice ) because an outsider team was in danger of winning the league ..... I've seen some good youth coaches and I've seen some of the dirtiest SOB's ever too .. The remedy , let all the coaches pick all the teams to be matched as evenly as possible THEN let the coaches pick their team out of a hat ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
What are we teaching kids... That there are no winners or losers... Wait till they grow up. Do you think business competitors are going to have mercy.

This is just totally wrong on so many levels. If you do no want to lose by more than 35... Practice harder... Learn more... Be more dedicated. These and teamwork are the life lessons that youth sports should teach
Yep, you nailed it.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I think the age of the child does matter in this discussion. For very young kids, say 8 or younger, I don't have a problem with the no one wins or loses mentality. The emphasis should be on learning the game and having fun. Even kids that love the game and are physically talented will ablsolutely hate the game if they are constantly on losing teams. Use that age to teach them skills and teach them to love the sport. I don't have a problem with advanced leagues or teams that don't guarantee playing time either.

As kids get oler there should a lot more emphasis on winning. I do agree that kids are coddled way to much, but we should find room for kids to enjoy sports even if they are not very good at it. This will eventually keep them from finding other worse habits, like smoking meth and killing people.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Why am I not at all surprised that this is happening in CA?

Little Man hates to lose, and does all he can to make sure his team doesn't. Why? Because he knows what it feels like to lose, and NEVER wants to feel that way again. He's 8 BTW. Score started being kept once he got to machine pitch.

This "Everybody Wins, no one loses" BS is RUINING our youth!
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
ERNIET
GAMECOCK 43

Male

CockyCash: 740
ERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
In youth league there should be no bench warmers. Parents don't pay 10+ dollars a year to see their kid sit on the bench. Each kid should get = playing time on the field. Also some youth leagues are corrupt. Some coaches get the best talent in the mix while others get mediocre. If they did it by a "I pick you" and there was no I'm getting this kid this year type situation. This problem wouldn't occur as much.

I know we had the Mercy rule in baseball, but maybe keep playing, but not keep score. I remember some baseball games as a kid that first team to score 10 more than the other the game was over. So some games ended in 1 inning.
I have been a youth soccer coach for 24 years. If you are going to coach I believe that you have to do more than just show up at practice, you have to do everything you can to learn all you can about the sport.
This is my take on this.
The times when I have not had a child playing, I did not get an extra pick in the draft because of it. I am usually at an advantage, because I don't usually miss the best player available, when I get my pick. I call all of my players that are elegible to come back every year and make sure they sign up on time. I teach them to play the game and winning takes care of itself. I teach that this is a team and every position is important. If a child has to misss a practice or game because of getting in trouble at school this affects the whole team.
If you tell me that 8-10 year old kids just want to play and don't care about winning, you are wrong. I do not believe in handing out trophies for participation. We get trophies if we win them.
ERNIET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

eh, if you are getting beat by 35 points or more than you might wanna consider soccer. seriously though, closer scores will strengthen self esteem issues and will help stop bullying at school. nobody needs to get their ass kicked on the field and then go to school and really get it kicked.

I wish all leagues would have this rule. I bet teams will be closely paired with equal talent in the future to stop the inconsiderate coaches and players from running up the scores in order to pad their egos. no parent wants to see their kid get his/her butt kicked in a public league.

fairer scores will also cultivate better relationships between parents and players on the team. I see way to many parents yell at kids when they strikeout or fumble. Now the kids can say they messed up on purpose in order to foster a more equal playing field. Not as many shoes will be thrown at kids anymore after a bad night at the "plate" or in the infield.

Last edited by sc455; 09-25-2013 at 02:32 PM.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERNIET View Post
I have been a youth soccer coach for 24 years. If you are going to coach I believe that you have to do more than just show up at practice, you have to do everything you can to learn all you can about the sport.
This is my take on this.
The times when I have not had a child playing, I did not get an extra pick in the draft because of it. I am usually at an advantage, because I don't usually miss the best player available, when I get my pick. I call all of my players that are elegible to come back every year and make sure they sign up on time. I teach them to play the game and winning takes care of itself. I teach that this is a team and every position is important. If a child has to misss a practice or game because of getting in trouble at school this affects the whole team.
If you tell me that 8-10 year old kids just want to play and don't care about winning, you are wrong. I do not believe in handing out trophies for participation. We get trophies if we win them.
I will just quote this guy

Take-a-knee

"I suspect there is another side .. I coached or helped coach youth 10 yrs .. I saw insider coaches stack their teams , recruit , change rules ,even shorten the season ( twice ) because an outsider team was in danger of winning the league ..... I've seen some good youth coaches and I've seen some of the dirtiest SOB's ever too .. The remedy , let all the coaches pick all the teams to be matched as evenly as possible THEN let the coaches pick their team out of a hat .. "

First and foremost you are a 24th year coach. Compared to a first year coach, and you getting the draft you will get some of the better players that the first year coach wouldn't see. On top of that you are probably a heck of a coach as well being in your 24th year and all. With your combination to pick top talent, and coach em up you probably win the championship almost every year. Where as the first year coach selected some ok players, and is working through growing pains of coaching could potentially finish last in the league. Take-a-knee's post is probably the solution. You will probably still win a good bit of games based on your coaching experience alone, but sometimes there will be a coach who has an edge with a little talent, and some lucky bounces that will beat you.

Last edited by rioninusc; 09-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't have a problem with trophies for losers, as long as there are significant size and awesomeness differences to each trophy. We aren't trying to teach kids that their are winners and losers, we are teaching them life is a hierarchy, and you can move up and down. If you are last, you still have value to world so don't off yourself later in life. But for now here is your little dinky cracker jack box trophy. How does if feel holding that while the kid next to you has a trophy 300 times the size of it. Feel good about where you are in the world kid? You want to have a bigger trophy than him one day? Than go earn it. That is what I think we are trying to teach them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Wagz
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

I remember a story from Lou Holtz's book, I beleive he was coaching at William and Mary and facing off against Bobby Bowden at FSU. FSU ran the score up. After the game Lou approached Bowden and said Bobby, I thought we we're friends, why are you running it up on us. Bowden replied something to the effect of "Lou, it's not my job to keep my team from scoring, it's yours" Lou said, He thought about it, and Bowden was spot on...
Wagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

California. Lol. What a horrible place.

Record vs. Clemson as a USC student: 5-0
MisterClowney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't have a problem with trophies for losers, as long as there are significant size and awesomeness differences to each trophy. We aren't trying to teach kids that their are winners and losers, we are teaching them life is a hierarchy, and you can move up and down. If you are last, you still have value to world so don't off yourself later in life. But for now here is your little dinky cracker jack box trophy. How does if feel holding that while the kid next to you has a trophy 300 times the size of it. Feel good about where you are in the world kid? You want to have a bigger trophy than him one day? Than go earn it. That is what I think we are trying to teach them.

I always thought extra curricular activites was for parents who wanted some alone time, or dads who wanted their kids to be a star at the sport that they weren't good enough to compete it?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I always thought extra curricular activites was for parents who wanted some alone time, or dads who wanted their kids to be a star at the sport that they weren't good enough to compete it?
Nice generalization...
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote