CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Clowneygotcha
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
Evilchicken3
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Badazcock
eightohhthree
StormOfTalons
Mike Davis (3193)
Terrible Officiating (1792)
Cack's Toast of the (1704)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1448)
If (big IF) we can w (1309)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1255)
Elliott Fry crushes (1144)
No Gurley near the g (1141)
How the top 25 SHOUL (847)
Most Spirited Fan (840)
Coach Elliott pregame.
Most Spirited Fan
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
No Gurley near the goal l
Been a pleasure talking w
Tired of night games
If (big IF) we can win bi
Missouri Game Set For 7:0
2015 Greyshirt - Darin Sm
Mike Davis

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default If Johnny football was not on scholarship could he...

take money for his likeness autograph? It occurs to me he has plenty of money to pay to go to T a&m and the argument he gets a scholarship to play would no longer be valid....your thoughts.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002
Default Re: If Johnny football was not on scholarship could he...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
take money for his likeness autograph? It occurs to me he has plenty of money to pay to go to T a&m and the argument he gets a scholarship to play would no longer be valid....your thoughts.
I can't quote the rule or anything, but the evening guy on 107.5 talked about this a few weeks ago. The answer is no. If the player is on the team, whether he/she is getting a scholarship or not, they are under the same rules as everyone else.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
I can't quote the rule or anything, but the evening guy on 107.5 talked about this a few weeks ago. The answer is no. If the player is on the team, whether he/she is getting a scholarship or not, they are under the same rules as everyone else.
I think the OP is talking from an argument standpoint, not what the actual rule is.

Every time someone says players should be able to accept money, there are hoards of other people who foam at the mouth, saying "they get a scholarship! that should be enough! i wish i had gotten a scholarship!!!"

So, if that was no longer the case...what would those zealous anti-capitalist proponents say?
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

it's about his amateur status as an athlete in the NCAA, doesn't matter if he's getting money from the school or not.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
your thoughts
I still can't stand him.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
it's about his amateur status as an athlete in the NCAA, doesn't matter if he's getting money from the school or not.
Oh, man...that 'amateur' status. Classic!

Go ask Michael Roth about how they were amateurs as they got off the bus in Omaha, only to be hounded by grown men for their autographs who turned around and sold those autographs.

Amateurs my ass.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Oh, man...that 'amateur' status. Classic!

Go ask Michael Roth about how they were amateurs as they got off the bus in Omaha, only to be hounded by grown men for their autographs who turned around and sold those autographs.

Amateurs my ass.
Popularity or notoriety does not equate to being a professional at something.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Popularity or notoriety does not equate to being a professional at something.
I wasn't speaking to popularity or notoriety, I was speaking to people profiting off of 'amateurs'

But, best not let those amateurs profit off of their own likeness! #'Merica
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
I wasn't speaking to popularity or notoriety, I was speaking to people profiting off of 'amateurs'

I agree with your point, but I was addressing the fact your previous post implied that because a person is famous (or infamous) or popular, that the person wasn't an amateur, which is false. But as I said, I agree with your over-arching point.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

You must be considered an amateur to play college sports ... scholorship athlete or not

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

The question asked is not should but could.

The NCAA wouldn't allow it whether he's on scholarship or not

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm sick of people saying they do not profit, they know exactly what they are getting when they sign the bottom line, how did they become victims? No disrespect to you and I will apologize up front for the rant, I just happen to read yours while on a soap box.
Every company or organization in America has a small group making the majority of profits and a large group making them the money, I played college athletics and I was not a victim at all and I played at one of the smallest colleges in America to field a football team. We received free tuition, a value of almost 350K at the time. Free room and board, free tudors, free unlimited weight room access to a very fine weight room with protein shakes and food available as well as a free meal plan that allowed me to eat 4 times a day at 3 different cafeterias. I received shoes, warm ups, school supplies, books, and we lived in a coed dorm, it was a tough life! I drove a piece of crap car and got gas money under the table on a few occasions and I never had to buy a drink or look far for companionship.
If you let the weak, ignorant minority overwhelm the majority of players who will never make a dollar playing football outside of college then you will let them ruin a fine game. Look at the Olympics and then look back when all Olympic athletes played for the love of the game and the thrill of victory for there country before we let Russia, Germany.... ruin all that and change the rules so we could keep up.
It is a shame we give up trying to police the game and instead give it away to the greedy few who would not have even thought of this if not for the media and a few grown men who are trying to profit of it.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote