CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
b381l
gamecockgal
DTGCOCKS#32
markp_vip
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
B-G
uniforms saturday (1462)
Neat statistic bruhh (1132)
Vandy Fans (1061)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Watch ESPN3 regional (358)
Cardinal's Jonathan (334)
tailgating canopy on (130)
Happy National Chees (124)
Places to watch Caro (115)
King - South Carolina vs
Terrible Officiating.
Texas Tech assistant resi
Terry Googer - new Wildca
No Vandy Predictions Thre
uniforms saturday
Places to watch Carolina
Vandy Fans
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
The SEC East schedule fro

Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Looking to buy an inexpensive truck but I'm not a motor head.

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a truck, but it has to be inexpensive while still being decent. I'm not talking something that's a show truck, but something that wouldn't embarrass the average person if the vehicle had to be used for regular commutes at times and is reliable.

Anyway, I've been looking on Craigslist and keep coming across people who are selling trucks that are in my EXTREMELY limited price range, but I'm not sure if these are things I should stay away from. That's where you folks come in!

There is a person who is selling a 1995 Chevy 1500, and the ad says the truck has, "30k on strong rebuilt 350 motor." Is this a red flag, or is a rebuilt motor a good thing? I would just like to know because there are several vehicles that mention having rebuilt motors, and I don't want to waste my time calling a lot of people if a vehicle isn't reliable.

Thanks to everyone who can help!

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Looking to buy an inexpensive truck but I'm not a motor head.

www.govdeals.com

buy one from a county public works dept near you.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

If you dont need a full size, something along the lines of a ford ranger/chevy s-10 would be less expensive

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a truck, but it has to be inexpensive while still being decent. I'm not talking something that's a show truck, but something that wouldn't embarrass the average person if the vehicle had to be used for regular commutes at times and is reliable.

Anyway, I've been looking on Craigslist and keep coming across people who are selling trucks that are in my EXTREMELY limited price range, but I'm not sure if these are things I should stay away from. That's where you folks come in!

There is a person who is selling a 1995 Chevy 1500, and the ad says the truck has, "30k on strong rebuilt 350 motor." Is this a red flag, or is a rebuilt motor a good thing? I would just like to know because there are several vehicles that mention having rebuilt motors, and I don't want to waste my time calling a lot of people if a vehicle isn't reliable.

Thanks to everyone who can help!

Rebuilt is not a bad thing, usually gives the motor a new life. I would say to drive it, maybe take it to a mechanic to take a look for you. Curious to know what your price range is.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

depends on the price, i generally steer clear of rebuilt engines, but for a real good deal, im all in
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

On the rebuilt I would take the time to have a mechanic do a compression check on the cylinders.

If the seller feels good about it, they shouldn't have a problem with that knowing you are serious.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Usually can't go wrong with a well taken care of Ford Ranger. Drove one for years. Good, solid, dependable truck.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Thanks everyone. My price range is up to $5,000, so I know I have to make some concessions, but it's nice to know a rebuilt engine doesn't necessarily eliminate some options.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Usually can't go wrong with a well taken care of Ford Ranger. Drove one for years. Good, solid, dependable truck.
I agree. Got my '01 Ranger in 2004 and still have it. Drives like a champ although I'm probably going to have to get a bigger truck in a couple of years or so. I'll be sad when I have to sell it.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
If you dont need a full size, something along the lines of a ford ranger/chevy s-10 would be less expensive
Solid advice. Tough to beat a ranger for the money.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

And yeah, I'm totally open to the idea of a smaller truck. In fact, I have owned two Ford Rangers in the past, the last being a '97. I like the S-10 and Sonoma as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
92Pony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 588
92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb

Personally, I steer clear of any ad that says any of the following;

1> Engine rebuilt xxx miles ago
2> Engine replaced xxx miles ago
3> Probably just needs a tune-up
4> A/C doesn't work, but probably just needs a charge

Obviously Toyotas are great trucks, but finding one of those for <$5000 is tough. The little Mazda B-series trucks are essentially Ford Rangers, and are decent as well.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
chi3fcocksman
Fanatic

Male

CockyCash: 100302
chi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudly

Gear head here ..for 5k you can get a decent truck 1999-2003 chevy trucks are hard to beat I have worked on many with 200000 plus miles of course they all were taken care of properly.. 19 plus years in a GM dealership before striking out on my own a few years ago and I still say they are one of the best values out there..
Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

Well I rebuild engines of all types and some people say they rebuild them just by honing the block and polishing crank , clean install seals and resurface them an also new bearings.

A real rebuild would be bore ,crank grind,valve job, rebuild rods, surface heads , clean all parts and all (new parts) !!!!
Be careful and stay away from the 6.0 ford diesel they are terrible and the 4.7. & 3.7 Chrysler engines also

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

I knew there were some really well-informed people who could offer great advice, and I haven't been disappointed!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

find out who rebuilt the engine. if the owner did it go somewhere else. even if he knows what he is doing he has reason to not tell truth
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
find out who rebuilt the engine. if the owner did it go somewhere else. even if he knows what he is doing he has reason to not tell truth
That's a good point, and one of the reasons I typically stay away from buying used cars from individuals, because even if it's not a situation where an engine has been rebuilt, I'm not completely confident people will be completely upfront with me about problems or issues with a vehicle, so if the owner is the one who rebuilt the engine, that probably is a bigger red flag.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

I don't like "rebuilt motors" unless I know who built it.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3fcocksman View Post
Gear head here ..for 5k you can get a decent truck 1999-2003 chevy trucks are hard to beat I have worked on many with 200000 plus miles of course they all were taken care of properly.. 19 plus years in a GM dealership before striking out on my own a few years ago and I still say they are one of the best values out there..
So are you one of the pro Chevy anti ford guys? How do you feel about f150s?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3fcocksman View Post
This is pretty much the exact advice I was going to give him. You can get you a really nice GM truck in that year range for $5k that will last you a long time.