CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3225)
Gameday in Columbia (2835)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2463)
Clem5on fans are bes (1471)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1418)
Why Weren't We Bette (1314)
SEC East Race as of (1123)
ST coach fired this (933)
Hardest Schedule (923)
Let's talk about Mat (919)
ST coach fired this week
Why Weren't We Better Pre
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
D line pressure
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 09-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
EDISTOCOCK
Livin the Dream

Male

CockyCash: 500
EDISTOCOCK has feathers coming inEDISTOCOCK has feathers coming inEDISTOCOCK has feathers coming in
Default Remember When?

Ah, mid-August? Clowney for Heisman. #6 ranking. Much easier schedule. Fear the thumb. Gamecocks could be the team to beat in the east. With the talent on this team, maybe we can can bring home our first SEC title.

Fast Foward to today: REALITY. AT BEST we beat Clemson for five in a row and end at the Outback bowl but more than likely (if we win out) Chick-fil-A bowl.

I honestly believed this was our year and we let it slip away. The talent on the D-Line and the Offense along with the schedule, set up nice for a special year. I am afraid we blew it.

Next year, no Clowney, Quarles, Shaw, etc......

I just do not see, in the near future, where we are set up nicely to win a SEC title like were this year. I maybe wrong but just don't see it.

I believe that some coaching hires in the past two years hurt us and now we are paying for it. I hope that we when the rest of our games but I have to admit that I am not sure now.

I will still pull for my beloved Gamecock but today with the UGA win and our loss, we missed the boat this year.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster
Default Re: Remember When?

Yeah, we're just playing for a good bowl, now.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Agree that this year is already a let down, but not like the team won't be competitive next season. We'll have Dylan at QB, while Georgia loses Murray, LSU likely loses Mett, same for Bama and McCarron. Florida will be breaking in a new QB, depending on what happens with Tyler Murphy, as will Clemson. Who knows what happens with A&M and Manziel...

SC will still have Davis + Wilds. Obviously at some point over the latter half of this season and the offseason the defense will need to have some young guys step up. But opportunity will be there to make a run next year with youth at QB across the league. Not that Thompson is great, but our QB situation will be one of the better ones in the SEC.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Clowney said it best in the post game today. He said that a lot of the players expect to just go out there and dominate teams and clearly that isn't happening. It's never easy, especially in the SEC.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyguitar View Post
Clowney said it best in the post game today. He said that a lot of the players expect to just go out there and dominate teams and clearly that isn't happening. It's never easy, especially in the SEC.
Like I said earlier, the players think they have arrived which is very far from the truth.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Another thing, last year Clowney had tons of help. We had great linebackers. We had a great secondary. We lost a lot on defense. So I'm not surprised to see us struggle, but I didn't expect us to struggle this bad. I'm not worried about the offense though. Yea it may need tweeking, but I know that our offense can score points. It's good to see that. If only our defense got better, we would dominate teams.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
Like I said earlier, the players think they have arrived which is very far from the truth.
Yep. Just because you're a freshman playing for a big SEC school doesn't mean anything. You still gotta play.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDISTOCOCK View Post
Ah, mid-August? Clowney for Heisman. #6 ranking. Much easier schedule. Fear the thumb. Gamecocks could be the team to beat in the east. With the talent on this team, maybe we can can bring home our first SEC title.

Fast Foward to today: REALITY. AT BEST we beat Clemson for five in a row and end at the Outback bowl but more than likely (if we win out) Chick-fil-A bowl.

I honestly believed this was our year and we let it slip away. The talent on the D-Line and the Offense along with the schedule, set up nice for a special year. I am afraid we blew it.

Next year, no Clowney, Quarles, Shaw, etc......

I just do not see, in the near future, where we are set up nicely to win a SEC title like were this year. I maybe wrong but just don't see it.

I believe that some coaching hires in the past two years hurt us and now we are paying for it. I hope that we when the rest of our games but I have to admit that I am not sure now.

I will still pull for my beloved Gamecock but today with the UGA win and our loss, we missed the boat this year.
We've never acquired that rare killer instinct that separates contenders from pretenders.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Another thing, last year Clowney had tons of help. We had great linebackers. We had a great secondary. We lost a lot on defense. So I'm not surprised to see us struggle, but I didn't expect us to struggle this bad. I'm not worried about the offense though. Yea it may need tweeking, but I know that our offense can score points. It's good to see that. If only our defense got better, we would dominate teams.
Lost 1 starting player in 2ndary. That's a BS excuse.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Did he include himself in that group?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yep. Just because you're a freshman playing for a big SEC school doesn't mean anything. You still gotta play.
It's a recruiting problem. Coaches need to step it up on the trail or be gone.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
USCNowAndForever
Banned

Male

USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Why was this kind of attitude allowed to creep into the team?

As the head coach, this is ultimately Spurrier's responsibility.

But oh no, Spurrier is literally the best coach to ever coach college football, this could not possibly be his fault.

Please.

I'm thankful for what we have accomplished the last 4 years, but I think we have hit our ceiling with the talent we have. Until we get better talent, Spurrier's program management philosophy and methods will continue to hold us back.

It took Spurrier 7 years to win a national championship with the full cupboard of talent he had at Florida...So I think it's reasonable to expect it to take significantly longer to win a national championship at a job where the cupboard was bare when he arrived...
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Im not talking just about the freshman, Im talking about the entire team. Quarles said it himself after the UGA loss "that they thought UGA was going to hand them the win for showing up." I think Clowney is right that some of the older players think they have arrived because of what the team did the past 3 years. This is not a good attitude to have on this team. If the older players think they have arrived then the younger players will as well. Until someone steps up and takes over the leadership role, we will continue to prepare and play the way we have the past 4 games.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Lost 1 starting player in 2ndary. That's a BS excuse.
Lost Auguste as well assuming you're talking about Swearinger. We also had a better pass rush last year. This year I haven't seen much of one. A great pass rush helps your secondary.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
Im not talking just about the freshman, Im talking about the entire team. Quarles said it himself after the UGA loss "that they thought UGA was going to hand them the win for showing up." I think Clowney is right that some of the older players think they have arrived because of what the team did the past 3 years. This is not a good attitude to have on this team. If the older players think they have arrived then the younger players will as well. Until someone steps up and takes over the leadership role, we will continue to prepare and play the way we have the past 4 games.
Yep. Coaching can only do so much. They can't play the game for them.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Our defense is growing in front of us. If they get better every week we will be ok
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

We can still go to Atlanta. I believe that our boys can still end up in Atlanta and play for the SEC title... Call me crazy, but Its a short MARTA ride down to the Dome for me. I am holding on to EVERYTHING THAT I CAN and believing that My Gamecocks will end up in Atlanta... WIN ANYWAY!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
EDISTOCOCK
Livin the Dream

Male

EDISTOCOCK has feathers coming inEDISTOCOCK has feathers coming inEDISTOCOCK has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
Why was this kind of attitude allowed to creep into the team?

As the head coach, this is ultimately Spurrier's responsibility.

But oh no, Spurrier is literally the best coach to ever coach college football, this could not possibly be his fault.

Please.

I'm thankful for what we have accomplished the last 4 years, but I think we have hit our ceiling with the talent we have. Until we get better talent, Spurrier's program management philosophy and methods will continue to hold us back.
I agree. 11 win seasons are great and have never occured here before. For that, he is probably the best coach to every coach here. However, how good are those wins if we are still second place in the division. Second place does not get you into the conference championship game. It does not give you the SEC championship or the chance to play for one. That is what seperates us from the big boys.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
atlcocky
Recruit

Female

atlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spurs

Sorry, jhaze. They might make it back to the Dome but it will be on New Year's Eve if at all. Doesn't mean the season is a bust. Our D is just too young and have lost that fire. It's not the end of the world, though. Hopefully they can learn and grow and be ready for next year. And we can all watch clowney on Sunday.
atlcocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaze7683 View Post
We can still go to Atlanta. I believe that our boys can still end up in Atlanta and play for the SEC title... Call me crazy, but Its a short MARTA ride down to the Dome for me. I am holding on to EVERYTHING THAT I CAN and believing that My Gamecocks will end up in Atlanta... WIN ANYWAY!
We need you in the secondary or LB.