CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
gamecockgal
l^l^lBGCock
A. Pilgrim
jrussjr
Acockolypse Now
thekob
ktguen
COCKYTALKIN
spareparts
Tired of night games (1923)
Luginbill says ECU s (1471)
Cooper (1391)
Next years RB situat (1283)
20 of 31 former play (1256)
What the heck is up (1237)
Coach Elliott pregam (1236)
Well, as it turns ou (1094)
Been a pleasure talk (988)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (770)
A serious question for th
Wake Forest recruiting...
CBS Sports Meathead crew
2015 - Roquan Smith
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Tired of night games
Quarles is a Colt!
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
No Gurley near the goal l
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
atlcocky
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
atlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spursatlcocky has earned his spurs
Default Clowney and Vic calling out the D for effort

Watch the online presser of these two and let me know what you think. It was encouraging because I felt like they took credit for the weak D, but I also sense that they feel that there is a lack of effort somewhere. Clowney refused to call anybody out by name, but he did say that it was the upper class men ( on the D line I'm guessing). Not trying to start a controversy but it would explain a lot if the problem is effort. I for one love Defense and have gotten spoiled lately, so this makes me feel better and worse at the same time. They both seemed to be adamant about the fact that it's not the young guys. Thoughts?
atlcocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb
Default Re: Clowney and Vic calling out the D for effort

[quote=atlcocky;3928440]Watch the online presser of these two and let me know what you think. It was encouraging because I felt like they took credit for the weak D, but I also sense that they feel that there is a lack of effort somewhere. Clowney refused to call anybody out by name, but he did say that it was the upper class men ( on the D line I'm guessing). Not trying to start a controversy but it would explain a lot if the problem is effort. I for one love Defense and have gotten spoiled lately, so this makes me feel better and worse at the same time. They both seemed to be adamant about the fact that it's not the young guys. Thoughts?[/qjuote]

I really dont know whos effort on the D line is the worst? Clowney is awesome and im proud hes a Gamecock but im tierd of hearing about the Flu after every game or the foot or whatever excuse. Hes been solid but nothing gamechanging and thats all you can expect from him. Society has made him out to be superhuman and i think that has hurt his production, they got in his head and he hasnt worked to get better. I also think the team is tierd of hearing how good he is, its like a cancer. Coaching and preparation is the problem here, we are lacking bigtime.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
The O.G.
Banned

Male

The O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudly

[quote=gin house;3928489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcocky View Post
Watch the online presser of these two and let me know what you think. It was encouraging because I felt like they took credit for the weak D, but I also sense that they feel that there is a lack of effort somewhere. Clowney refused to call anybody out by name, but he did say that it was the upper class men ( on the D line I'm guessing). Not trying to start a controversy but it would explain a lot if the problem is effort. I for one love Defense and have gotten spoiled lately, so this makes me feel better and worse at the same time. They both seemed to be adamant about the fact that it's not the young guys. Thoughts?[/qjuote]

I really dont know whos effort on the D line is the worst? Clowney is awesome and im proud hes a Gamecock but im tierd of hearing about the Flu after every game or the foot or whatever excuse. Hes been solid but nothing gamechanging and thats all you can expect from him. Society has made him out to be superhuman and i think that has hurt his production, they got in his head and he hasnt worked to get better. I also think the team is tierd of hearing how good he is, its like a cancer. Coaching and preparation is the problem here, we are lacking bigtime.
Silly, it was food poisoning, foot arch injury, near fatal case of jock itch, a gypsy curse, got up out of the wrong side of the bed, and the flu, in that order.
The O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Here's a link

Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

Saw it and loved Clowney's comments and attitude. Everything he said was true. Glad Vic said in so many words, that those damned targeting penalties make them question how they are suppose to play at all times.
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

No problem with it.
I can understand our young guys making mistakes, that is fine, that is how they learn.
But I've been very dissappointed in the effort from Surratt, Quarles and Sutton.

I'm loving the effort I saw today out of the Dixon boys and Mason Harris.

There are some other upperclassmen I think need to have some pressure put on their spot, and that is Sharrod Golightly.

It has gotten to the point I'm ready to try some younger guys and accept their mistakes...I'm talking Chaz Elder, Kyle Fleetwood, Chris Moody, Kelsey Griffin, Larenz Bryant and Jordan Diggs. Let's give these guys a shot.
They may screw up, but at least they will screw up giving full effort.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

I have thought all along that the d-line is the source of the defensive problem because they aren't generating any pressure. No pressure and a good QB = bad day for defense. Now that's no excuse for blowing coverages or missing tackles but it starts up front.

Clowney is speaking about Quarels specifically, but the whole group as well. If they decide to step up and cut the BS and play ball, the defense will get better. If not, we'll continue to get gashed and clowney will be a non factor because they can shift, chip and double his ass up all night if the other guys sit there with their thumb up their ass.

Infuriates me when players in any sport or any level don't give 100%. Its not asking much for you to give your best effort playing sports.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs
Default Clowney and Vic calling out the D for effort

We need a leader like DJ. He was the heart and soul of our defense and team. I ALWAYS felt like we had a fighting chance against anyone with him on the field....because he busts his butt. 200% ever play. No matter what. That's why he's making a name for himself in Houston. This year, I don't feel confident about our defense... Ever. We may struggle through every game we play for the rest of the season

GET DOWN WITH THE CLOWN
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

I think Clowney was talking about Chaz in that video mostly. Its got to be frustrating getting double teamed every play and the other DE cant even get a damn sack out of it.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
I think Clowney was talking about Chaz in that video mostly. Its got to be frustrating getting double teamed every play and the other DE cant even get a damn sack out of it.
Agreed
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
We need a leader like DJ. He was the heart and soul of our defense and team. I ALWAYS felt like we had a fighting chance against anyone with him on the field....because he busts his butt. 200% ever play. No matter what. That's why he's making a name for himself in Houston. This year, I don't feel confident about our defense... Ever. We may struggle through every game we play for the rest of the season
i think you headed in the right direction but got the wrong player

i think the guy we missing most is Shaq Wilson, i know he is a coach but still not the same as being on the field....the guy was our QB on D (remember that year he got hurt and had to sit most of it, our D struggled some that year too, mostly vs Auburn)

also loved the comments by both players
Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcocky View Post
Watch the online presser of these two and let me know what you think. It was encouraging because I felt like they took credit for the weak D, but I also sense that they feel that there is a lack of effort somewhere. Clowney refused to call anybody out by name, but he did say that it was the upper class men ( on the D line I'm guessing). Not trying to start a controversy but it would explain a lot if the problem is effort. I for one love Defense and have gotten spoiled lately, so this makes me feel better and worse at the same time. They both seemed to be adamant about the fact that it's not the young guys. Thoughts?
Ward is calling for vocal leadership on the defense. These two are answering that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
It is speculative. I figured if he was referring to an individual, he was talking about Quarles. He mentioned not "dominating" which has been Quarles word in interviews for the last two weeks. However, I really think it was a general referal all of the rest of the DL, including his own backup.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

from the outside looking in, I think he is talking about Chaz as well. Quarles has gotten some penetration at times, and a sack here and there.

honestly though, Clowney could give a little more himself. the one reason I say that is a play yesterday. he ALMOST sacked the UCF qb, and when he missed, he just stopped. then he turned around to see that Quarles I believe it was, had got to the QB and a fumble insued. at that point Clowney ran to the play, but because he had stopped after the whiff, he just missed recovering the fumble. Had he given that never say die effort, to continue chasing the play til dead, I am almost 100% sure that he would have been there to get the loose ball.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

It does seem that vic may be tired of the hype with clowney though. When they ask clowney about his foot , vic jumps in and says his foot hurts to. I think having a superstar on Defense may have something to do with it to. I do not think that clowney has a huge ego, but I do think that it may have something to do with it.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

First off...I'm a Vic Hampton. The guy pulled himself up when he was struggling off the field and had 1 foot out the door/about to be run out of USC. Showed a lot of maturity & perseverance to become a starter.

But him calling out the D doesn't ring true when he continues to make bonehead plays on ST & coverage.

An over the shoulder catch fielding a punt inside the friggin' 10 yard line?!?

The last TD catch we gave up where he got beat on a double move to outside. He jumps the inside move when we had 2 guys helping on inside coverage. Brian Griese called it spot on during the TV coverage when he called Hampton's play 'selfish'.

If he wants to be a leader, he should tell the ST coaches that he's not helping the team when he returns punts. That is a LEADER...knowing when you're hurting the team and taking it upon yourself to correct it.

Right now, I'd put more stock in what Jimmy Legree has to say about leadership & others stepping up on Defense.

Spurrier needs to fix this mess in a hurry...or we'll go 0-3 on the road after the UK game.

GO COCKS!!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
It does seem that vic may be tired of the hype with clowney though. When they ask clowney about his foot , vic jumps in and says his foot hurts to. I think having a superstar on Defense may have something to do with it to. I do not think that clowney has a huge ego, but I do think that it may have something to do with it.
You beat me to it. Did you see Clowney's face when he said that?

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and I see discontent among our defensive players. If this isn't sorted out soon it could destroy our season.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
tp2386
Walk On

Male

tp2386 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
You beat me to it. Did you see Clowney's face when he said that?

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and I see discontent among our defensive players. If this isn't sorted out soon it could destroy our season.
I saw his face, and I got nothing from it. I'd say Vic was more tired of reporters asking Clowney if he was 100%, when in fact none of them are 100%.
tp2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Hampton needs to stop jaw jacking during games.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
I saw his face, and I got nothing from it. I'd say Vic was more tired of reporters asking Clowney if he was 100%, when in fact none of them are 100%.
Wrong, he looked right at Vic when he said that. I have no problems with Clowney, but he was moaning about the bug he got and then asked about the foot, he said it's hurting him right now. What is the point of that? In the past he always says the foot is fine, blah, blah, blah. But now he's moaning every week about his foot or he has a bug. WTF? I don't blame Vic for stepping in and saying his foot hurts, too. Hell, I bet there's nothing wrong with Vic's foot, he was just trying to make a point and not about the question asked, but about the response given by his teammate.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

The fact this is happening in interviews is troubling. This type of information should be handled in the locker room. This defense is in desperate need of leadership from both the players and defensive coaches.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote