CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Thenardier
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Larenz Bryant

Haven't seen a participation report yet, but did he play any yesterday at SPUR or was it primarily Golightly and Diggs?

Have to think with a dismal UK team coming to town that the coaching staff needs to use this opportunity to get the freshman some work. Eventually, he is going to be the guy at SPUR, and since the rest of the defense is struggling with growing pains, might as well throw him into the fire too.

It'll be interesting to see how the SPUR position shakes out in the offseason. Golightly is a special teams player. Diggs gained too much weight and needs to transition to WILL linebacker. Camara is an intriguing prospect that was recruited specifically to play SPUR. Fleetwood, Moody, and Cooper practiced some there in the Fall. Someone has got to take over this part of the defense full time.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Larenz Bryant

They need to let Bryant play SPUR....he'll make mistakes, but Golightly is way overmatched and teams go after him.....and Diggs hasn't done much either.

I didn't see Cooper play yesterday......but I could have missed him. Whammy talked him up the last 2 weeks....what's going on.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

CockyCash: 500
JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Both Golightly and Diggs struggle in coverage, but especially versus the run and getting off blocks. A lot of SC's defenses require the SPUR to set the edge (and play outside contain) in the run game, something Holloman was awesome at and something both guys have been poor at. Partly why the team has been gashed on outside runs at times. Golightly is pretty small, so not terribly surprising with him, but has been a concern with Diggs in his limited snaps.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
Both Golightly and Diggs struggle in coverage, but especially versus the run and getting off blocks. A lot of SC's defenses require the SPUR to set the edge (and play outside contain) in the run game, something Holloman was awesome at and something both guys have been poor at. Partly why the team has been gashed on outside runs at times. Golightly is pretty small, so not terribly surprising with him, but has been a concern with Diggs in his limited snaps.
Diggs has gotten too big. Holloman was a rare athlete that could play at a high weight but I don't see that with Diggs. It appears to me like he has lost a step when he put on the weight.

It appears like Bryant could be a potential answer because of his build and athleticism but I reckon the question is can he grasp it mentally?

I sure hope so because we have got to get that spot solved, fast.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

I was at the game yesterday and agree completely that this position needs new personnel immediately. Golightly was abused by UCF fercryinoutloud. Put him on STs but thats it. I could see this coming at the UNC game but here we are still trying to get these guys playing as units, if not as one "team". Awful coaching on defense right now.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

YES!
I don't want to throw a kid under the bus, but it is time to take Golightly off the lineup.
The guy has heart, but he is a liability.

Watch the game, whiffed on at least 5 tackles he was in position to make, and was burned at least 3 times in pass coverage (two of these mistakes cost us 14 points).

He reminds me a lot of Addison Williams...smart, knows the defense, but is just too small (Addison was 5'7 and had to cover 6'4 receivers).

I'm ready to throw our younger guys out, and live with them making mistakes, because right now the upperclassment aren't getting it done.

I hope we see more Ced Cooper, Larenz Bryant, Chaz Elder, Mason Harris and Gerald Dixon against Kentucky.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

i saw Golightly get abused multiple times against ucf
Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talons

Get the younger guys some playing time? Umm, we gotta get a win , some continuity, a rhythm going.. We're going into Kentucky w/a shaky 2nd string QB, & for the most part 1 Rb & a dismal defense/special teams.. We have to learn how to not beat ourselves before we can learn how to beat anyone..
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnahs View Post
Get the younger guys some playing time? Umm, we gotta get a win , some continuity, a rhythm going.. We're going into Kentucky w/a shaky 2nd string QB, & for the most part 1 Rb & a dismal defense/special teams.. We have to learn how to not beat ourselves before we can learn how to beat anyone..
How is the second string QB shaky?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 398687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

^(assuming he means thompson and not Noso) He definitely didn't look sharp that's for sure. He should be much better with a week to prepare and knowing he will start.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnahs View Post
I think we're 25 - 5 since 2011.....I doubt there are 5 teams with better records.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I didn't see Bryant play any Spur against UCF but he did play against Vandy.

We are just really lacking at both LB spots, Spur and safety play. Golightly is just not an SEC caliber player. Diggs isn't any better it appears.
Marcus and B Williams (think that is who Clowney and Hampton were calling out) can't cover and blow coverage, bad tackling angles and slow.
Kaiwan Lewis is just a huge disappointment at MLB.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Haven't seen a participation report yet, but did he play any yesterday at SPUR or was it primarily Golightly and Diggs?

Have to think with a dismal UK team coming to town that the coaching staff needs to use this opportunity to get the freshman some work. Eventually, he is going to be the guy at SPUR, and since the rest of the defense is struggling with growing pains, might as well throw him into the fire too.

It'll be interesting to see how the SPUR position shakes out in the offseason. Golightly is a special teams player. Diggs gained too much weight and needs to transition to WILL linebacker. Camara is an intriguing prospect that was recruited specifically to play SPUR. Fleetwood, Moody, and Cooper practiced some there in the Fall. Someone has got to take over this part of the defense full time.
I think Bryant is the answer at Spur for next year and Ward wants him there.

I hate when people say Someone has gained too much weight!! I'm a trainer and this just blows my mind when people say crap like this. How do you know? Is he fat? Or is it muscle? You don't know unless you know his body fat percentage. Fact is that he can't change his body type if he wants. He has the means and access to eat correctly and lift all he wants.

Now if the dude is just slow, and that appears it may be the case then So be it. But don't say he has gained "weight" so he can't play a position. You have guys that are much bigger than him 250+ lbs but low body fat and are much much faster and quicker than him. So it's not a weight problem unless he is just fat.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I agree with you 100% on Golightly and Diggs. I would prefer they went with Diggs and got some more speed in the secondary at the safety spots to clean it up. HBC might need to quit taking guys like pharoh cooper and jarrell adams try and mask any deficiencies. We are slow now, so we might as well at least be physical. I didn't see bryant in the game. On a somewhat related note, did you see lewis trying to tackle some of those guys downfield? My god, it ain't tag football.

Last edited by LegalCock; 09-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

One of the players, maybe Legree, said after the game that the Spur was supposed to pick up the RB sneaking out of the backfield on the UCF trick play. Legree read it and picked up the slack. Great play by Legree, but it is concerning that the Spur didn't do his job on that particular play. Hopefully, it is not endemic.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
Cocky Doodle
Gamecock 4 Life

Male

CockyCash: 125833
Cocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his comb

I see a few things:
1) We are playing on our heals - not acting, but reacting. I think this is a confidence issue.

2) Our d scheme is not creating confusion or enough pressure - offenses are killing our zone d. Our LB's (including spur) are not getting into position. No creativity. Again, maybe this is a confidence issue again, but here the coaches dont have confidence in our players.

3) Overall talent - I am not sure if this is an issue, but it does appear we lack in some areas. Size and speed gaps with some players.

4) Trust - our players are not trusting each other to play assignments

5) Selfishness - certain players are trying to make a highlight play, instead of playing their assignments.

My fix:
If our d cant stop anyone anyway, might as well try to create some turnovers. Play more man, when in the zone use more zone blitzes, create confusion. If someone doesnt play their assignment and tries to be selfish - they need to sit. Beyond that - I dont know - just hit the recruiting trail I guess.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:

You could go back through about every post I've made in the last 3 years and it would probably be hard to find one that singles out a current player, but I'll make an exception to that. I don't think there is one player in your post who is anything other than a guy who might start or get serious PT until the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th year in the program with the exception of Bryant and maybe Diggs or Lewis. Lots of ST types with serious deficiencies.
If memory serves me, none other than Bryant (Diggs by 1-2 services?) were ranked very highly as recruits or recruited hard by other SEC top-tier teams. Way too many guys on D that were under-the-radar types, and we're learning that maybe everyone else was right and we were wrong when it came to evaluations.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote