CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
JerseyBird
ConwayGamecock
Latti
usc1
FanofCarolina1
Seladen
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
GamecockUltimate
**USC vs. Clemson GA (2537)
looks like we have 2 (1525)
Beat Miami (633)
Decommitment from Te (542)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (503)
Garcia and Clemsux T (468)
Frank Martin's Game (443)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (397)
Cleveland Browns Hea (302)
Need a dog kennel (162)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
looks like we have 2 OL r
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
So, why is next year goin
Beat Miami
NY Giants Joe Morrison tr
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
How Long Will The Rebuild

Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
vegasmark
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 210
vegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talons
Default Gloom and doom?

Not sure why there's so much gloom and doom? We have one of the best running backs in the SEC, not one, but two, quality QBs, a probable first pick Defensive lineman, and a 3-1 record.

Sure, there are problems on defense but we knew that all those freshmen LBs would pose a problem (at least I did). We also knew that a player like Ace Sanders only comes around once every decade or two.

We're gonna be fine. We probably lose one or two more and go to a nice bowl game. With a little luck, Georgia makes some major mistakes and we get a shot at the Tide. But that's if all the stars align.

Life is good. Beat Kentucky!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Gloom and doom?

What!!? How dare you keep things in perspective! Sunshine pumper! Everyone shun this man.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I like this vegasmark guy.

I'm probably one of very few though, because he kept things in perspective in that post and it wasn't doom and gloom.

Last edited by garnet_black215; 09-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Right on and don't forget the big UK tailgate Saturday

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Braveguy06
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws

Disagree that ace was a once and a decade guy but agree on all other points. Loved ace but his numbers were far from mind blowing.
Braveguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

I think context is important.

The week started w/ having 2 high profile (and much needed) recruits decommit which was incredibly demoralizing and created a tremendous amount of uncertainty.

Then we struggled mightily w/ a underrated but still inferior UCF team, saw our starting QB go out (w/ what appeared to potentially be a season-ending injury) our #2 RB go out, and watched (once again) our Defense give up monster pass plays that nearly cost us the game. Then, our best hope for getting seriously back into the mix for the SEC East was squashed when LSU lost, setting UGA up for an easy path back to Atlanta.

I also think we all had such high hopes when Clowney committed of division titles, SEC titles, possible National Titles or BCS games, and now that window is closing. Can we still make the National Title? I suppose there's a very minuscule chance, but it is extremely (x 1000) unlikely. Can we still make a BCS game? Odds are better but still not great. But def. possible. Can we win the division? Again: possible, fairly unlikely. But def. possible.

So when you factor in all of those elements and we realize (or at least it FEELS like) that this early on we're pretty much staring at another Outback/Cap One/Chick Fil A Bowl, well some of us aren't too terribly excited about that prospect.

Our program has come a tremendous way from when Holtz (and more recently Spurrier) arrived. But we just expected more and now realize it's (potentially, maybe not) more of the same we've experienced the past few seasons.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

I think part of it is most people are probably not used to our offense being better than the defense.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

It's crazy on here today. Meltdown mode to the max. It's obvious that there's a lot of people on the board who haven't been fans for a long period of time. Some of these people would have jumped off the top of Willy B if they were "fans" during the late 90's - 2000. Insanity.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I think context is important.

The week started w/ having 2 high profile (and much needed) recruits decommit which was incredibly demoralizing and created a tremendous amount of uncertainty.

Then we struggled mightily w/ a underrated but still inferior UCF team, saw our starting QB go out (w/ what appeared to potentially be a season-ending injury) our #2 RB go out, and watched (once again) our Defense give up monster pass plays that nearly cost us the game. Then, our best hope for getting seriously back into the mix for the SEC East was squashed when LSU lost, setting UGA up for an easy path back to Atlanta.

I also think we all had such high hopes when Clowney committed of division titles, SEC titles, possible National Titles or BCS games, and now that window is closing. Can we still make the National Title? I suppose there's a very minuscule chance, but it is extremely (x 1000) unlikely. Can we still make a BCS game? Odds are better but still not great. But def. possible. Can we win the division? Again: possible, fairly unlikely. But def. possible.

So when you factor in all of those elements and we realize (or at least it FEELS like) that this early on we're pretty much staring at another Outback/Cap One/Chick Fil A Bowl, well some of us aren't too terribly excited about that prospect.

Our program has come a tremendous way from when Holtz (and more recently Spurrier) arrived. But we just expected more and now realize it's (potentially, maybe not) more of the same we've experienced the past few seasons.

Then lets apply to get back in the ACC if you want to get a championship so bad. Winning the SEC is really hard. Our best shot was 2011 but we screwed it up against a bad Auburn team. We will win 10 or 11 games this year. Yet you whine. You whine because we didn't beat UCF on the road when most teams in the country would have lost that game. We overcame a bunch of injuries and beat a top 25 team (I know they aren't there quite yet but will be) on the road. We lost 2 commits but they are a package deal so far and stuff happens. I'm thrilled we are getting these guys to consider us from out of state. It used to be we only got 4 and 5 stars if they were instate. And we can still get them. My goodness see the glass 3/4 full instead of 1/4 empty.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I guess it's the major letdown from competing to be one of the premier teams in college football to be something other than that - that has us all down right now. Of course we are so much better off now than we were five or six years ago. You just hate to see a step backwards. Maybe we can get back to the top ten again next year or so... This team isn't going to finish in the top 20. That isn't gloom and doom...it is an opinion based on the ability of this team to play to the level that is needed to do so.

I'll still be at every home game...driving hours both ways....so nothings changed except the excitement of being a special team. Not happening with this group...but I will agree that our offense is fun to watch. Davis is outstanding and shaw, thompson and company are darn good. Special teams are a joke - perhaps as bad as it gets in college football, and our defense is horrible based on the supposed talent. A bunch of under achievers or not as good is they were billed to be...across the board.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Braveguy06
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws

If we went back to the ACC we wouldn't recruit at such a high level.
Braveguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 939000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I guess it's the major letdown from competing to be one of the premier teams in college football to be something other than that - that has us all down right now. Of course we are so much better off now than we were five or six years ago. You just hate to see a step backwards. Maybe we can get back to the top ten again next year or so... This team isn't going to finish in the top 20. That isn't gloom and doom...it is an opinion based on the ability of this team to play to the level that is needed to do so.

I'll still be at every home game...driving hours both ways....so nothings changed except the excitement of being a special team. Not happening with this group...but I will agree that our offense is fun to watch. Davis is outstanding and shaw, thompson and company are darn good. Special teams are a joke - perhaps as bad as it gets in college football, and our defense is horrible based on the supposed talent. A bunch of under achievers or not as good is they were billed to be...across the board.
This post really surprises me. If the rest of our season reflects this post, I'll meet you in Boone at the Outback and buy you a steak dinner.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Mr. Burns
No Soul

Male

CockyCash: 447110
Mr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot material

We were lucky to beat citadel at HOME last year, and then won out. These things happen, we'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Then lets apply to get back in the ACC if you want to get a championship so bad. Winning the SEC is really hard. Our best shot was 2011 but we screwed it up against a bad Auburn team. We will win 10 or 11 games this year. Yet you whine. You whine because we didn't beat UCF on the road when most teams in the country would have lost that game. We overcame a bunch of injuries and beat a top 25 team (I know they aren't there quite yet but will be) on the road. We lost 2 commits but they are a package deal so far and stuff happens. I'm thrilled we are getting these guys to consider us from out of state. It used to be we only got 4 and 5 stars if they were instate. And we can still get them. My goodness see the glass 3/4 full instead of 1/4 empty.
Seriously? I made an honest and realistic attempt to explain why some of us around here aren't pumping magnificent sunshine and did so by providing a chronology of events that some around here may have found disheartening. I'm not "whining", but you're flaming. And it's totally uncalled for. Was there some specific element of what I posted that you take such umbrage w/? The notion that I would (GASP) desire to see the team compete for a Conference and National Title? That's a BAD thing? Or do you just want to take all of your negative-poster-anger out on me? Do you want to see the team compete for Conference and National Titles, yes or no?

And no. We did not "beat a Top 25 team on the road". Sorry. They are good. They are not in the Top 25 (as you pointed out in the very next sentence) so to classify them as such is sunshine pumping of the most absurd level.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Seriously? I made an honest and realistic attempt to explain why some of us around here aren't pumping magnificent sunshine and did so by providing a chronology of events that some around here may have found disheartening. I'm not "whining", but you're flaming. And it's totally uncalled for. Was there some specific element of what I posted that you take such umbrage w/? The notion that I would (GASP) desire to see the team compete for a Conference and National Title? That's a BAD thing? Or do you just want to take all of your negative-poster-anger out on me? Do you want to see the team compete for Conference and National Titles, yes or no?

And no. We did not "beat a Top 25 team on the road". Sorry. They are good. They are not in the Top 25 (as you pointed out in the very next sentence) so to classify them as such is sunshine pumping of the most absurd level.
He's not flaming, but you are whining about his flaming...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
He's not flaming, but you are whining about his flaming...
Okay, cool. Remind me why I care what you think? You want to actually discuss football and the team or just be the Whine Police?

Telling me I'm "whining" and "go join the ACC" is flaming.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

I surely don't want to sound like I'm a "whiner" but here is the way I feel...we went from a team that was able to bring in 2-3 Difference makers a year(mainly starting with Holtz because of his name/reputation) and we were able to build a little..then came Spurrier and we added better recruits,evaluated better,built new facilities,etc. and I feel we recruit really well for the most part. We will always lose "top" recruits that mention us in some report to teams like Bama and UF,BUT we do manage to land some of these guys now...especially in state. The only Whine I have is when I see our players playing with no emotion or fire..I think the situation is different for different players and we can't point to just one cause..I see coaching,youth,inexperience,playing safe,and at times just plain old "don't give a damn"...there is a lot to be said for "chemistry" in any team/group,and I hope Clowney,Thompson,Hampton,and other "leaders" on this team have had enough. I can't stand UGA,but one thing I will always remember is a few years back when they had that team "meeting" in the endzone after a TD...it cost them a penalty,but it showed the gave damn...as someone who played for many years,and coached for many years,I can tell you there has to be a time when pride kicks in and you leave it all on the field...that's all I want.If we play the rest of the year and lose,and I know they gave 110% then I will NEVER say a word even if I am disappointed...I've just seen guys like Clowney,Sutton,Quarles,Hampton at their best and they need to pull it together for four quarters....JMO
Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

We've given up less than 300 yards in two out of four games. The defense isn't consistently bad, they're just bad at the wrong times. They give up too many big plays. Hampton said it yesterday in his post game press conference-when they're on the same page, they play well. Who knows if it's miscommunication or what, but they need to get it figured out.

I for one think they will.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

I really hope we beat the hell out of Kentucky. Maybe that will lighten the mood on here.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
This post really surprises me. If the rest of our season reflects this post, I'll meet you in Boone at the Outback and buy you a steak dinner.
I'm kind of partial to the Dan'l Boone Inn when I'm in Boone!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote