CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (2251)
Constant Updates on (2175)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1156)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1069)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (1057)
How cool would it be (933)
Carolina/Clemson gam (753)
Palmetto Bowl (656)
Chattanooga upends N (515)
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Bowl projections
Constant Updates on Watso
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Garcia vs Clemson Tom

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Chicken Littles vs. Sunshine Pumpers

These days everyone is labeled as one or the other, when there is a lot of middle ground. I am sure most will put me in the latter camp after reading, but let's consider a few things:

1. The chances of winning the East are not gone.

I don't care how many threads you guys make, it is far from fact. Unlikely? Sure, but until it is mathematically impossible then the team AND the fans should act like grown ups and keep trying for the ultimate goal. I don't hear any bellyaching now when Bama originally didn't even win their division, went to the National Championship and eventually won. Did anyone put an asterisk on the trophy? Do most people even remember it happened that way?

Someone needs to take a look at our mascot, what kind of Gamecock gives up in the first third of a season???

2. The team has some bigger issues than we ALL assumed.

And yes, it sucks. I don't know what the problem is, to be honest. I can't think Lawing had THAT much of an impact, and maybe its all the vocal leadership departing from defense at once. Maybe its a combination of all those things, some crummy luck at the worst times and a general lack of mental toughness to bounce back well when mistakes do happen. Whatever the problem is, I believe the team has a chance to fix it THIS YEAR. I swear, if I see one more person put up a joking "next year" comment I will do absolutely nothing since this is an online forum, but I won't like you dangit.

3. After ALL that happened, we are 3-1.

And we lost on the road, to a team that just beat LSU in that same place. Say what you want, but our SEC road is easier than theirs. Can we all just TRY to see how things play out before assessing the damage the falling sky has caused?

Last edited by trapper82; 09-29-2013 at 11:35 PM.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit
Default Re: Chicken Littles vs. Sunshine Pumpers

I agree, and may I add, USC fans completely blew off UGA before the season, calling the media morons for picking UGA to win the East. It was extemely unfortunate that USC had to face an angry UGA in Athens after their loss to Clemson.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

They were already angry for embarrassing them last year.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I think a lot of people overlooked the youth on the defense and I also think we.have a lack of leadership on the defense.

As far as coaching, why would you hire somebody from unCarolina? They could be sabotaging us.

The good news is that we can get better and still make a BCS game and ruin cLIMPson's dream season
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
I think a lot of people overlooked the youth on the defense and I also think we.have a lack of leadership on the defense.

As far as coaching, why would you hire somebody from unCarolina? They could be sabotaging us.

The good news is that we can get better and still make a BCS game and ruin cLIMPson's dream season

I would agree with this post - except to add that it's a long DROP down the social ladder to be competing to ruin someone else's season, rather than making your own phenomenal.

I am soooooo happy that I don't live in South Carolina anymore as I could not imagine how obnoxious clemtech fans are being right about now and I'll bet it escalates late in the season.

Clemson IS a better team right now than we are - there is little question about that - but they ARE overrated and given a lot of credit while playing nobody. Watching NC State last week and then Wake Forest this past Saturday - good Lord were they bad.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
...when there is a lot of middle ground....
Middle ground = just another Gamecock football season with another set of players and coaches.

Enjoy it cause it won't last. In just a few months, guys like Connor & Jadeveon will be gone and we'll miss them just like we miss some others. They will never play for us again.

Wins are great, but the team is much bigger than the W-L record.

I'm proud of our guys regardless of the W-L record....it's a great time to be a Gamecock.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

This team has to improve A BUNCH on defense if it expects to win out. If it continues to have terrible breakdowns in coverage, Im thinking 8-4/9-3. If it gets that taken care of, 11-1 is still possible

As for Carolina winning the East, I just don't see UGA losing 2 SEC games (Let alone, 1).... I think that ship has sailed.

FWIW: If we do win out, a Sugar Bowl bid is very possible.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1680
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

I consider myself a realist (One who is inclined to literal truth and pragmatism). The fact about the team is this: the defense is young and the linebackers are too small for the SEC. The offense is fine with Shaw or Thompson, another 490 yards on Saturday. I laughed all summer about the talk of a National Championship. Number 13 in the Country is about right.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

I think we are a mentally fragile team right now. We just need some things to go right and get some kind of consistency going. Seems like when something bad happens on defense it starts snowballing. I didn't see any adjustments on D Saturday. Just kinda stayed in a zone and kept giving up big plays. Need the corners to play their assignments and not jump routes as much. They just need to go to work. We're missing DJ this year really bad. I think he kept the D's heads straight throughout the course of games last year.

Also, if Dylan is going to be the guy the next couple weeks, I like the I formation stuff we saw Saturday. Davis is a beast.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

For all the talk about us having an easier schedule than UGA this year, I'd have to disagree. UGA has all their big conference games at home this year. That makes a huge difference.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I would agree with this post - except to add that it's a long DROP down the social ladder to be competing to ruin someone else's season, rather than making your own phenomenal.

I am soooooo happy that I don't live in South Carolina anymore as I could not imagine how obnoxious clemtech fans are being right about now and I'll bet it escalates late in the season.

Clemson IS a better team right now than we are - there is little question about that - but they ARE overrated and given a lot of credit while playing nobody. Watching NC State last week and then Wake Forest this past Saturday - good Lord were they bad.
How do we know that? BC they are the media's favorite? They beat UGA AT HOME by a bobbled field goal snap and we lost to them ON THE ROAD. Other than that, Clempson has play SC State, a terrible Wake team, and looked like shit on the road against NC State. I'm not saying they suck, but to say its obvious that theyre a better team I'd have to disagree with.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Middle ground = just another Gamecock football season with another set of players and coaches.

Enjoy it cause it won't last. In just a few months, guys like Connor & Jadeveon will be gone and we'll miss them just like we miss some others. They will never play for us again.

Wins are great, but the team is much bigger than the W-L record.

I'm proud of our guys regardless of the W-L record....it's a great time to be a Gamecock.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
These days everyone is labeled as one or the other, when there is a lot of middle ground. I am sure most will put me in the latter camp after reading, but let's consider a few things:

1. The chances of winning the East are not gone.

I don't care how many threads you guys make, it is far from fact. Unlikely? Sure, but until it is mathematically impossible then the team AND the fans should act like grown ups and keep trying for the ultimate goal. I don't hear any bellyaching now when Bama originally didn't even win their division, went to the National Championship and eventually won. Did anyone put an asterisk on the trophy? Do most people even remember it happened that way?

Someone needs to take a look at our mascot, what kind of Gamecock gives up in the first third of a season???

2. The team has some bigger issues than we ALL assumed.

And yes, it sucks. I don't know what the problem is, to be honest. I can't think Lawing had THAT much of an impact, and maybe its all the vocal leadership departing from defense at once. Maybe its a combination of all those things, some crummy luck at the worst times and a general lack of mental toughness to bounce back well when mistakes do happen. Whatever the problem is, I believe the team has a chance to fix it THIS YEAR. I swear, if I see one more person put up a joking "next year" comment I will do absolutely nothing since this is an online forum, but I won't like you dangit.

3. After ALL that happened, we are 3-1.

And we lost on the road, to a team that just beat LSU in that same place. Say what you want, but our SEC road is easier than theirs. Can we all just TRY to see how things play out before assessing the damage the falling sky has caused?
If I'm going to be stuck on a deserted island and I have a choice to take either a chicken little or a sunshine pumper, I'm gonna choose the chicken little. I can't imagine being stuck on said island with some whacko who believes every floating coconut he spots is our rescue ship. I want the guy who's like, "Yep, we're going to die here." At least the second guy is grounded in reality enough to move on and help me gather mollusks and drinking water.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

I'm a little of both...does that make me a chicken pumper?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
usc52
Workaholic

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to usc52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post

Sabotaging us??? Are you freaking serious?? This is BIG TIME college football the coaches do not have time to sabotage our season as you said. People were not happy whrn Lorenzo was named D coordinator but after last season it turned out all right. Give Deke the whole season and if he doesn't perform can him if thats what needs to be done.
usc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Well played, sir!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
No, it makes you a Little Miss Sunshine.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
If I'm going to be stuck on a deserted island and I have a choice to take either a chicken little or a sunshine pumper, I'm gonna choose the chicken little. I can't imagine being stuck on said island with some whacko who believes every floating coconut he spots is our rescue ship. I want the guy who's like, "Yep, we're going to die here." At least the second guy is grounded in reality enough to move on and help me gather mollusks and drinking water.
Is that before or after your fellow island dweller has given up on the season after the 4th game when we're 3-1?

I acknowledged we have big problems, but I think we can fix them too. If that sounds like a guy who think coconuts are lifesavers then so be it.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Thought all the crazies went to Duke. My bad, I guess.
Pumpers: We're 3-1. Gonna win this thing yet.
Naysayers: Braying at the moon 'We're doomed.'
Me? In the middle watching our boys struggle to become men.
Love football even if I have to put up with a bunch of dumbasses like you.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

If you didn't know any better, you would think that this is Tigernet with all the people who blow with the wind.